Tell me everything you know about the Honda VF1200F - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Panigaliscious

Tell me everything you know about the Honda VF1200F

There are two versions, the conventional transmission and Dual Clutch automatic.

In 2010, standard was $16k, and the auto was an eye-watering $17.5k without bags ($1300) and top case ($1000).

Not surprisingly there are more than a few still left on dealer floors. Seems every third dealer has one discounted today. Honda must have a dealer rebate on them now because most are around $11k brand new. Some even at $10k.

At original price, no way. But heavily discounted the bike is interesting. It seems like perhaps the perfect bike for the type of riding I would do, far better than my current bike.

It seems the DCT version is very polarizing, although if I had a choice it would probably be what I would pick. The technology to me is appealing and it would always be a conversation piece. Reviews of the DCT have been mostly positive as well. The standard bike doesn't seem too bad either. I do wonder how much it costs to R&R the DCT system when it wears out someday though.

From what I have been able to gather the cost for general maintenance is less than the 6th gen VFR800 VTEC, which would be a plus. Shaft drive and decent ergos too would be good.

It's also got 140+ horsepower too, and the standard version turned a 10.20 1/4 mile in the 2010 Sport Rider test. Perhaps the fastest shaft drive bike ever (maybe the 1700cc V-max is faster, not sure).

So...opinions, experiences?

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 AM

I have no experience with this bike, other than seeing them riding around. I think they look great, even smaller than you would expect. It has a CBR look from the side. My gripe is the front fairing/headlight. I just don't like the looks. I would live with it though, because I think the bike would be a good performer. I've heard of a HP number of 155.

I've always been a Interceptor fan, I heard someone saying they were the ACURA of motorcycles. I thought that analogy fit
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 PM

No experience, but seriously considering one...let's hear more.

WW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your support!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 PM

Waste of money

I was eyeballing them for a while. I have a 1997 CBR1100XX with some goodies and I test rode the VFR1200F and was not at all impressed. It took a little to get over the look, just like it took a little for me to fall in love with the 09 1000RR. Needless to say there was nothing impressive enough for me to spend the 15-20K for the bike in any trim level. You can find a nice used 2001-2003 CBR1100XX with low miles for under 5k and plenty of beetle bags out there or Givi bags and you have pretty much the same bike. This is my bike and I have matching beetle bags, and now corbin glove box.
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Street and Track Moderator

That is nicely done up! How comfortable is it?

CCS #33
CRA #533
CQC Motorsports
2011 CCS Midwest Rookies Cup GTO #1
2014 CRA Formula 40 #2
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited SS #1
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited Superbike #1
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited GP #1

2008 CBR 1000rr (Race)
2012 Multistrada 1200 (Street Ride)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM

Ask yourself why there are no takers and Honda dealers have to go to unfathomable depth to load them off...

It's not that's a bad bike but it's so damn complicated it makes my BMW look like Fred Flintstone's car by comparison. When the electronics work, all is fine and dandy but when they start quarreling among themselves it's game over, meaning not even dealers can sort it out.
A close friend of mine had two. Honda swapped the first one for a brand new one after the bike steadily refused to idle despite spending weeks at the dealer's. The second one developed the same problem plus extremely snatchy throttle response at low rpm... Honda bought back this second bike, he bought a second hand ABS-equipped CBR1000RR and kept the rest of the cash. In both cases every fix tried by the dealer failed. I know the first bike was shipped back to Japan for testing the day after he returned it.
One lemon is acceptable (I had two in my riding career: one ended in a buy back and the other in a massive crash) but two in a row... and I have heard of other very similar cases. Each one ended with Honda buying the bike back or swapping it for another one. The rolling chassis seems to be pretty much bulletproof but the electronics are probably too sophisticated for their own good.
I am pretty sure given time Honda will eventually fix the bike but in the meantime I'd be wary about the present models.
Sounds a bit like the VF750F "Chococam".

Shame on me, my heart is black.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmansell View Post
That is nicely done up! How comfortable is it?
My cousin has a Blackbird and we trade while riding. It's one of my favorite bikes ever. It feels kind of like a VFR's bigger/meaner brother. It's very comfortable for all day riding. It's on my want list for sure. I remember Honda's ad from these bikes calling it the world's fastest sport tourer. I believe they ran around a 10:30 quarter mile time. Impressive bikes. I like this white one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
Ask yourself why there are no takers and Honda dealers have to go to unfathomable depth to load them off...

It's not that's a bad bike but it's so damn complicated it makes my BMW look like Fred Flintstone's car by comparison. When the electronics work, all is fine and dandy but when they start quarreling among themselves it's game over, meaning not even dealers can sort it out.
A close friend of mine had two. Honda swapped the first one for a brand new one after the bike steadily refused to idle despite spending weeks at the dealer's. The second one developed the same problem plus extremely snatchy throttle response at low rpm... Honda bought back this second bike, he bought a second hand ABS-equipped CBR1000RR and kept the rest of the cash. In both cases every fix tried by the dealer failed. I know the first bike was shipped back to Japan for testing the day after he returned it.
One lemon is acceptable (I had two in my riding career: one ended in a buy back and the other in a massive crash) but two in a row... and I have heard of other very similar cases. Each one ended with Honda buying the bike back or swapping it for another one. The rolling chassis seems to be pretty much bulletproof but the electronics are probably too sophisticated for their own good.
I am pretty sure given time Honda will eventually fix the bike but in the meantime I'd be wary about the present models.
Sounds a bit like the VF750F "Chococam".
+1
And who says newer bigger modern and computerised make a better product.
Won't hear that out of me. I look at these overly complex bikes in a different light. In 5 years these things will sell for $2500 as nobody could afford to fix the things when they sneeze.

02 998 La Strega Bella
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
+1
And who says newer bigger modern and computerised make a better product.
Won't hear that out of me. I look at these overly complex bikes in a different light. In 5 years these things will sell for $2500 as nobody could afford to fix the things when they sneeze.
Don't tell me mate. My brother's car has been sidelined for two weeks while they figured out what the issue was. Wanna take a guess?

Shame on me, my heart is black.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Take a look at VFRDiscussion.com

Kevin
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Panigaliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound Pachyderm View Post
Take a look at VFRDiscussion.com
Yep, I'm a member there, but Speedzilla might have a less biased opinion overall.

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode