'06 SM610S First Impression - Page 6 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 02:39 AM

Dave and I swapped bikes today at DCTC.

I hereby dub the 610 the Cadillac of motards: The 610 is smooth, has an electric motor powerband, holds lines, and was super comfortable while being deceptively quick. Neat bike.

Way better than KTM's LC4.

Thanks Dave for letting me hoon on your new bike!

BTW, will this fit your 610, Dave?

Last edited by Eric Landstrom; 10-02-2005 at 04:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:53 AM

I think I've found my settings - JD Red needle @5th position, 45 pilot, 180 main. Bike carburates very cleanly and throttle response is instantaneous. The husky barks, then it howls!

The JD Red needle appears to be very similar to the stock OBDVR needle. I could probably go back up to a 50 pilot with this needle. I'm getting a little bit of popping on decelleration but it's not bad. I should be able to dial out the popping with the fuel screw.
post #103 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:15 AM

I only have a 58 pilot and I'll use the stock needle, do you think I should try it or get a 50 instead?

post #104 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 03:04 AM

The standard pilot is a 50 so you should be good to go. Just fatten up your needle to the 5th position and stick a 180-185 main jet in and adjust your fuel screw 1.5-2 turns out. This is at sea level. While you're at it, seal the hole in the airbox from the crankcase breather and put a K&N breather filter on the end of the hose. This will keep oil from getting into your air/fuel mix. There is a backfire screen in the airbox. I didn't want to remove mine until I got the jetting sorted. You might get less intake restriction if you remove it. Don't know what the effect of this would have on jetting... might require a 52 pilot.
post #105 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 03:12 AM

Cool, I'll get started as soon as the pipe arrives this week, I'll definately get rid of the backfire screen, the cover is already vented so I should be good.
post #106 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 03:25 AM

Big singles have a tendency to burp through the carb on occassion. Haven't noticed it on my 610 but I figure that backfire screen might be there for a reason. Some of the older big bore huskies would actually blow the carb right off. I'm going to leave the backfire screen in until I get more experience with this bike. I don't want it to burn down while its still new!
post #107 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:39 AM

The NOX on decel was incredible, sounded like gunshots and could be heard across town, jetting was spot on though, not even a hiccup from idle all the way into the limiter, instantaneous response and 6th gear wheelies at 70mph no problemo.
Hoping to get this bike in the same ballpark
post #108 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 PM

Hi guys, Thought I would post my jetting results from the weekend.After trying a dozen or so changes I've found that a 52 pilot with air screw out 2 turns and the needle in position 5 runs the best with the stock pipe and the screen left in. Still get a little deceleration stumble but hardly noticeable. My LeoVince should be here in a few days. I will make the final changes then. Thanks for your posts, looks like we are all on the same page and getting close. On another note the 2 Wood brothers rode the tires off their supermotos at the last race of the season at New Hampshire International Speed Way. They lapped most of the field.
It was something to see.
post #109 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Landstrom
It's close, but not quite the same.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #110 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA
The NOX on decel was incredible, sounded like gunshots and could be heard across town, jetting was spot on though, not even a hiccup from idle all the way into the limiter, instantaneous response and 6th gear wheelies at 70mph no problemo.
Hoping to get this bike in the same ballpark
6th gear wheelies at 70mph? With the 610, maybe if you go uphill, stand on the seat and add a 52T rear sprocket. The LeoV helps but not that much! Or maybe I just suck at wheelies
post #111 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm100
Hi guys, Thought I would post my jetting results from the weekend.After trying a dozen or so changes I've found that a 52 pilot with air screw out 2 turns and the needle in position 5 runs the best with the stock pipe and the screen left in. Still get a little deceleration stumble but hardly noticeable. My LeoVince should be here in a few days. I will make the final changes then. Thanks for your posts, looks like we are all on the same page and getting close. On another note the 2 Wood brothers rode the tires off their supermotos at the last race of the season at New Hampshire International Speed Way. They lapped most of the field.
It was something to see.
Thanks for the tips!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #112 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 03:22 PM

The procedure was to get in the meat of the powerband around 5-6k or so, stand up on the pegs and give the bars a good tug while opening the throttle simultaneously, once up on the balance point I could ride them like that standing up till it ran out of fuel, or I ran out of road.
It was great fun to blast through a major six lane intersection like that, problem was I could never get the bike legal, I had a tag from one of my other bikes on it, an acerbis blitz up front and a LED strip under the rear fender for a tail light.
Theoretically, the only advantage the NOX had was a 12.0:1 compression ratio as opposed to 11.5:1 on the 610, and the added weight of course, although they say the head is improved on the new bike.
The NOX made 65hp on nutec fuel on mitch hansen's dyno before he sent it to me, and about 60 on pump gas, I'm hoping the leo vince dyno graphs were legit, I also plan to remove a bunch of extra garbage off this bike which should drop some serious poundage, I'll get a real world weight when it's done.
post #113 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
It's close, but not quite the same.
I have a set of hole saws.
post #114 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 02:15 AM

Keihin FCR-MX 41 Jet Kits...

Where are you fellas buying the JD jet kits from...I looked at Thumper Talk & saw the Husky 405\510 kit, do they have a FCR 41? My parts dealer in town can get me aftermarket, individual jets, but I keep hearing how good the James Deans are. Where may I purchase these fine items???
post #115 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMotoWeazal
Where are you fellas buying the JD jet kits from...I looked at Thumper Talk & saw the Husky 405\510 kit, do they have a FCR 41? My parts dealer in town can get me aftermarket, individual jets, but I keep hearing how good the James Deans are. Where may I purchase these fine items???
I got the JD kit from the Thumper Talk store. It's for the 450/510. Same carb as the 610, FCR-MX41. I'm using the Red needle and my bike is running great with this needle. The blue needle was too rich. The Red needle appears to be similar to the stock OBDVR needle. My comparison between the two needles was by eyeball and there are probably some subtle differences in the taper of the JD needle that are not very noticeable by the naked eye.

With that said, I'm not sure if it buying the kit was worth the $$ for the 610. Only way to find out is to do some measurements with a micrometer or caliper and install the stock needle in place of the red needle to see if it makes a difference. But for now, I'm tired of playing with the carb so I'm going with what I have.

Before you buy anything try the stock needle at the 5th position, install a 50 or 52 pilot and 180-185 main jet with the Leo V pipe and go from there with fine tuning.

Last edited by dukepilot; 10-04-2005 at 02:45 AM.
post #116 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA
The procedure was to get in the meat of the powerband around 5-6k or so, stand up on the pegs and give the bars a good tug while opening the throttle simultaneously, once up on the balance point I could ride them like that standing up till it ran out of fuel, or I ran out of road.
It was great fun to blast through a major six lane intersection like that, problem was I could never get the bike legal, I had a tag from one of my other bikes on it, an acerbis blitz up front and a LED strip under the rear fender for a tail light.
Theoretically, the only advantage the NOX had was a 12.0:1 compression ratio as opposed to 11.5:1 on the 610, and the added weight of course, although they say the head is improved on the new bike.
The NOX made 65hp on nutec fuel on mitch hansen's dyno before he sent it to me, and about 60 on pump gas, I'm hoping the leo vince dyno graphs were legit, I also plan to remove a bunch of extra garbage off this bike which should drop some serious poundage, I'll get a real world weight when it's done.
Like I said, I suck at wheelies. I can do them easily off-road to avoid obtacles but history for me has shown doing them for show on the street could be bad news! I'm more of a stoppie and hack it out type of guy.

Sounds like you have the technique and the balls to get it done. I enjoy watching a good wheelie.
post #117 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:50 AM

Thx....

Nice avatar duke pilot
post #118 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMotoWeazal
I bought several pilots and main jets from Sudco. They came in 2 days.
http://www.sudco.com/
post #119 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Just curious....

How did you guys mount your license plate?

post #120 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Just curious....

How did you guys mount your license plate?

I took off the large plastic mounting bracket. Lined up the tag on the remaning rear fender. Marked & drilled the tag & mounted it with the bracket bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode