SM610 - Excessive oil in airbox - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

SM610 - Excessive oil in airbox

My SM610 is blowing a huge amount of oil into the airbox. I almost crashed because it oiled the side of the tire. It was my first ride after reinstalling the engine after having the case welded up from chain damage. The engine was not disassembled. It was not overfilled with oil-I added the correct volume of oil and the sight glass confirmed this. The engine starts, idles, and runs normally and I ran it at relatively low rpm and throttle openings because I was warming it up.

As far as I can tell, everything is hooked up correctly, hoses going where the illustrations indicate in the manual. I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine that would cause excessive crankcase pressure.

What could I have done wrong to cause this. Could a plugged hose cause this? I don't see how, but I'm grasping at straws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Cool

when you had to engine out was it tipped on its sides,if so you probably had oil going in places it wouldnt usually go.
thus causing oil to end up in the air box
or you got a vent hose wrong.

If You Cant Run With The BIGG DOGGS STAY ON THE PORCH!!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

The oil was drained before the engine was removed. The hose lengths are such that they will only fit in one place, and that agrees with the assembly illustrations.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Best info is that it's the reed valve, taken out by a worn timing chain. A serious problem on lots of 610s. Do a search.

I haven't taken mine apart yet to confirm.

Update - timing chain probably worn, but didn't touch reed valve. George says reed valve couldn't cause this problem.

Last edited by 1nsx; 06-12-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: further info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode