Husky or KTM SuMo?? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Husky or KTM SuMo??

Title says it all.........Looking to pic up another SM and I'm torn between the 2. The choice of either the 610 Husky, or the 625 KTM?? Just want something to cut up the neighborhood with my boy.

Anybody have input on Heinens (MN)?? They seem to move alot of Husky's across Ebay?
Alot of 625's being listed on Ebay also.
$6000 for a new Husky??
Or about the same for an 05 KTM

Thoughts?????????

Seize today.............live richer tomorrow!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 05:06 PM

Heinen's moves a ton of bikes, so they have amazing prices, especially on closeouts. Dave got his Husky from there new last year.

6 of one, half-dozen of the other. The KTM's LC4 motor is damn-near bulletproof, as it's been in production for quite a while. Good accessories available, especially from KTM directly. Easy maintenance, including valve jobs (checked mine, haven't had to adjust them yet, after 3 seasons of riding). I can't speak for the Husky maintenance, but I'm sure if you wait, you'll get plenty of answers.

Looks? Well, the black Husky gets my vote for pure SuperMoto sex, even though I own an SMC.

I have heard of more overall problems with the Husky versus the KTM, but the Husky is at the beginning of its product life, the KTM is in its mid-life stage.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 11:41 PM

I have a 610 husky and love it,great fun bike have 3500 miles before my
accident,cage got me.
bike damage less then 500 my damage right knee 2 plates 11 screws
been out of order since 9/9 hope to be walking unaided by x mas.
its a great bike and read all the posts on here to make it better.

If You Cant Run With The BIGG DOGGS STAY ON THE PORCH!!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedragr
Title says it all.........Looking to pic up another SM and I'm torn between the 2. The choice of either the 610 Husky, or the 625 KTM?? Just want something to cut up the neighborhood with my boy.

Anybody have input on Heinens (MN)?? They seem to move alot of Husky's across Ebay?
$6000 for a new Husky??

Thoughts?????????
most super-heros prefer the Husky 610
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:43 PM

Three words my friend; Hus-A-Berg..........
-Rocky-

ROCKYMT

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:41 PM

KTM has a great network of dealers and online stores where you can order pretty much everything for your bike. You can customize the bike with a load of aftermarket parts.

Maintance of the LC4 is minimal the only messy part is the oil change but you get used to it after the second time.

Husqvarana is a great bike too but i wouldnt buy tothing with Castilioni behind it! Just to be Safe!!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:17 AM
The Dude abides.

Three words my friend; Kay-Tee-Emm.............
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedragr

$6000 for a new Husky??

Thoughts?????????
Please tell me where I can buy a new Husky (sm610?) for $6000! Really. Please.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7461&rd=1&rd=1

Definetely leaning more towards the KTM as that is what I had before and I'm familiar with.......oil changes and all.
But with Heinens throwing deals out like this it does raise the question??

Been following, been watching ebay the last couple of months and these types of bikes are just not meeting their reserve. I took a beating when I sold my 2000 model so I'm a little gun shy to pull the trigger again.

Seize today.............live richer tomorrow!!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 AM

625 SMC, much more dependable, not a sexy as the 610 but sexy doesn't maqtter much when you are sick of the 4,000 RPM stutter that you cannot get rid of...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khelton
625 SMC, much more dependable, not a sexy as the 610 but sexy doesn't maqtter much when you are sick of the 4,000 RPM stutter that you cannot get rid of...
No stutter on my 610. I used to have a KTM Duke 2 and it was a fine bike. I like my 610 better though. In its present form, my 610 has about the same amount of power as my FCR/Akra equipped Duke. The husky is a bit lighter and the suspension/brakes are much better. Plus it has a 6 speed tranny. The 625 SMC is also a nice bike and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

07 Ducati HM-S
06 HVA SM610
04 HVA SM450R w/Rekluse
04 HVA TE250 w/Reluse
04 HVA CR125
05 Buell XB9SX
03 Honda CRF170R
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukepilot
No stutter on my 610. ... In its present form, my 610 has about the same amount of power as my FCR/Akra equipped Duke. The husky is a bit lighter and the suspension/brakes are much better. Plus it has a 6 speed tranny. ...
What modifications have you done to get it to it's present form?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsx
What modifications have you done to get it to it's present form?
https://speedzilla.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=734

Also have a Leo Vince full exhaust.

07 Ducati HM-S
06 HVA SM610
04 HVA SM450R w/Rekluse
04 HVA TE250 w/Reluse
04 HVA CR125
05 Buell XB9SX
03 Honda CRF170R
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The stutter goes away after disconnecting the TPS, which is a simple job.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
No stutter on my 610. I used to have a KTM Duke 2 and it was a fine bike. I like my 610 better though. In its present form, my 610 has about the same amount of power as my FCR/Akra equipped Duke. The husky is a bit lighter and the suspension/brakes are much better. Plus it has a 6 speed tranny. The 625 SMC is also a nice bike and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I shouldn't have blanketed all 610's like that....they are a great package. The TPS change didn't help my riding buddy's '06. Neither did the jet kit, dyno setup, different plug, etc. Has been trying to get a dual map ignition from Ferracci. To set the record straight, all 610's are not like this. His is just particularly stubborn.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
I shouldn't have blanketed all 610's like that....they are a great package. The TPS change didn't help my riding buddy's '06. Neither did the jet kit, dyno setup, different plug, etc. Has been trying to get a dual map ignition from Ferracci. To set the record straight, all 610's are not like this. His is just particularly stubborn.
So what is your buddy's carb set up? You can have him PM me and I will try to do this best I can to help him sort out his bike so it runs like it should.

07 Ducati HM-S
06 HVA SM610
04 HVA SM450R w/Rekluse
04 HVA TE250 w/Reluse
04 HVA CR125
05 Buell XB9SX
03 Honda CRF170R
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
So what is your buddy's carb set up? You can have him PM me and I will try to do this best I can to help him sort out his bike so it runs like it should.
I'll send your offer to help to him..., he has been up and down in jetting at a couple of different places but it has yet to remove the stutter. It's a shame...someone on SM Junkie made him an offer yesterday and it may be sold.

Tks for the interest, I'll fwd your offer to help.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 PM

Khelton,

Were you at the Trials event 2 weeks ago up at Thurmont? If so, I was the guy there on Sunday on my 610. Once I got mine jetted, mine has been a solid performer. My TPS is connected and I have no issues. Maybe he just got a bad one?

2006 Husky SM610
2004 Aprilia Tuono
2003 Buell XB9R--SOLD!
2003 Aprilia Falco
2005 Scorpa SY250
I'm a bike whore, but I live with it
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill900
Khelton,

Were you at the Trials event 2 weeks ago up at Thurmont? If so, I was the guy there on Sunday on my 610. Once I got mine jetted, mine has been a solid performer. My TPS is connected and I have no issues. Maybe he just got a bad one?
bill900,

Nope wasn't me in that lovely place......he probably did get a bad group of pieces. Had to replace the whole ignition the first week he had it.....he just told me he is going to try one last thing and is taking it to Ferraci to see what they can do..Ferracci says it is jetting but we will see..I personally think it has somethign to do with the ignition under load...but what do I know...hate to see him give up on it, such a nice bke, but it is apparently getting pretty frustrating...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:25 PM

Cool

My 4500 rpm stutter didnt happen till about 2k miles, i changed the plug to
the one listed on another blog no more stutter.
I have since disconnected the tps and bike seems to have a lot more low end
grunt,
I also added an Arrow Pipe and opened my airbox up.
LOVE THIS BIKE !!!!!!

If You Cant Run With The BIGG DOGGS STAY ON THE PORCH!!!!!!
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode