The Official 2015 World Superbike Thread - with SPOILERS - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Panigaliscious

Laguna is very tight, so the power deficit of the Ducatis isn't a big handicap.

Davies has been riding great this year as well, and probably has more track knowledge, especially in sketchy weather, at Laguna than most of the field.

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

So what's next for Ducati after the 1299? A V4?

SECTION8 FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:09 PM
He with the senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
So what's next for Ducati after the 1299? A V4?
Hush, puppy, HUSH!!!

The market is saturated with wimpy little fours, even V4s. I truly hope Ducati stick with the gloriously visceral and cool and fun to ride V2.

Old Baldy
Triumph Tiger 955i with decent suspension.
Ducati 996 with hot 999 motor
Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Chaz made that Ducati look great at Laguna.

Why do you guys think the Ducati was so dominant there? Have the DUCATI'S issues been sorted out or was this a classic case of it simply working well at a particular track?
Laguna is a flowing, technical track that rewards momentum, track knowledge and balls over brute horsepower. Over the years, there have been countless episodes wherein the skilled rider together with a great handling bike has prevailed over riders on what was generally regarded as superior equipment.

For a fun example, look up the old videos on Youtube to see the magic Gobert performed there at the beginning of his SBK career on the ZX7. Brilliant stuff....

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsess View Post
For a fun example, look up the old videos on Youtube to see the magic Gobert performed there at the beginning of his SBK career on the ZX7. Brilliant stuff....
That's a good point. The ZX7 was still not considered to be at a disadvantage back in '95 and '96 though. It wasn't until maybe say '98, '99 when the competition started pulling away from Kawi.

Gobert was arguably on good machinery for it's time back then.

SECTION8 FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
That's a good point. The ZX7 was still not considered to be at a disadvantage back in '95 and '96 though. It wasn't until maybe say '98, '99 when the competition started pulling away from Kawi.

Gobert was arguably on good machinery for it's time back then.
Actually, '93 and '94 were the best years for Kawasaki with Russell winning the Championship for Muzzy in 1993. Over the course of the 1995 and 1996 seasons, I think Kawasaki won a total of just two or three races with Laguna Seca being at least one of them and PI (another technical momentum track) the only other....

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 AM

Leon is the more polished rider but more accident prone or should I say injury prone of the two.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
I figured I'd start a new thread on this years WSBK season.

After watching round 1 at Phillip Island here is what I gathered.

The Ducati 1299 still has some issues. Chaz Davies rode the wheels off of the thing but it still seemed down a little bit of ponies. It doesn't seem to get the drives off of the corners that the older Ducati Superbikes did.

That Aprilia is FAST. I honestly think it may be the fastest bike in WSBK. It has consistently been the front runner in the series since Biaggi first set foot on it. It's also making semi-washed up riders like Leon Haslam look like heroes. The V4 is the dominant engine configuration if you ask me. I mean, it's just fast EVERYWHERE. In the corners, Off the corners, down the straight, and on the brakes. It's nearly the perfect package.

Van der Mark impressed on that long-in-da-tooth CBR1000RR. I'd like to see how often he runs up front with these boys. I wouldn't be surprised if mid season it starts to come good for him.

Johnny Rea is a MONSTER. He's going to steal all of Sykes thunder this year. I don't think Sykes will net as many wins this year. He's too mellow in this field. Rea smells blood and if he can show real consistency, he's my favorite for the title ....... granted that Aprilia doesn't have a top tier rider.

I'm also interested in seeing what Leon Camier does on the MV F4 1000RR. Hopefully he can help develop that bike into a true contender.

...................Looking forward to Thailand.
Quote:
Johnny Rea with the Double Win Domination. Looks like he's the guy to beat.

- Will Ducati win a race this year?

- If Ducati gets shut out, even with the 1299cc configuration, will they finally go to a V4?

- How cool would that be if Alex Lowes wins a race on the long-in-the-tooth GSX-R?!

- How long before Aprilia overtakes Ducati as the Premier Italian marque?

Questions Questions Questions!

that's not a 1299 you dunce!!! its still a 1199R. doesn't have bigger capacity. Just some lightened engine internals to boost HP

Stoner to Rossi:
"Obviously, your ambition outweighed your talent."
About the Desmosedici:
“Casey rode this bike in a special way,” Rossi answered. “I cannot ride this bike like that.”
Stoner vs Rossi:
"Stoner had been bringing a knife to a gunfight and still regularly beating him – even after the introduction of the spec tire."
Colin Stoner:
"For Casey it was always about his love of motorbikes. Not wealth and glamour."
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Baldy View Post
Hush, puppy, HUSH!!!

The market is saturated with wimpy little fours, even V4s. I truly hope Ducati stick with the gloriously visceral and cool and fun to ride V2.
Its still NOT a freakn 1299. that's the street bike that is a 1299. you people on this site are braindead!!

Stoner to Rossi:
"Obviously, your ambition outweighed your talent."
About the Desmosedici:
“Casey rode this bike in a special way,” Rossi answered. “I cannot ride this bike like that.”
Stoner vs Rossi:
"Stoner had been bringing a knife to a gunfight and still regularly beating him – even after the introduction of the spec tire."
Colin Stoner:
"For Casey it was always about his love of motorbikes. Not wealth and glamour."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode