Vinales Signs 2 year Deal with Yamaha!! - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Vinales Signs 2 year Deal with Yamaha!!

It's now being reported by multiple news agencies and outlets that Vinales has signed a two year contract with the Yamaha Factory Team leaving Suzuki having to hopefully secure an equal or better replacement. While the official announcement will be made at next Thursday's press conference in Mugello, even Spain's most respected leading national newspaper, "El Pais"confirmed the signing.

While Maverick is the youngest rider in MotoGP who is currently perceived to have the most upside potential, the level of pressure and expectations he will now face will certainly be considerably higher than had he remained at Suzuki. If he consistently challenges among the front runners and wins at least a few races his first year, he'll be viewed as having made the right choice (as will Yamaha, of course). If, on the other hand, he cannot do what Jorge managed to do in his first two years with Yamaha, and show the ability to periodically show his rear tire to the in house MotoGP Legend, questions marks will be raised and grumblings will ensue..

In the meantime, Iannone and Dovi are each names being thrown around as candidates to take Vinales' vacated Suzuki seat. As I mentioned in another thread herein, I would love to see Dani Pedrosa make the bold, late career move to Suzuki but my hopes are fading....

Otherwise, below are some links from Motorsport.com: Vinales moves to Yamaha for 2017 MotoGP season

and from Crash.Net MotoGP News - MotoGP: Maverick Vinales signs for Yamaha?

Last edited by bsess; 05-15-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:50 AM

Good news for Vinales and Yamaha. I've been a fan since he won his first GP riding on Paris Hilton's team. I thought the team was a joke but Vinales ended up laughing all the way to a MotoGP career.

cc
1961 Clubman's Gold Star
2013 Daytona 675R (track bike)
2013 Duke 690
2014 Street Triple R
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

I find it lame that the official MotoGP website makes no mention whatsoever of the signing news/reports. Weak....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 04:14 PM

If true, why only 2 yrs? Doesn't seem as much of a commitment from Yamaha esp. when Rossi goes in 2yrs. Again poor succession planning from Yamaha, not making a commitment. I expect this from Honda, not Yamaha; they usually plan their future re riders better. If a 2 yr deal and Dani was an option I could see Dani passing to stay at Honda. The Yamaha while no doubt attractive has the smell of no option for #1 if JLo, the world champ, couldn't get that treatment there.

Reminds me of Suzuki's last days in 500GP/MGP where they could trace challenges with development to poor decisions on riders who lacked GP development chops. It smacked of poor planning by Suzuki overall in their rider development/succession program until they were scrambling for talent.

I'm certainly not saying Yamaha is where Suzuki was but where are they inside 2 yrs when rossi goes and MV is on the market? Right where they are today, scrambling. They should have locked MV down to a longer term contract with a clear direction that he is their future and build the team around him going forward - passing the torch from rossi to him in rossi's remaining GP time frame (1-2 yrs), then bring in another rider to replace rossi on a 2 yr term, staggering the contract melee they got themselves into with JLO & rossi.

2006 BMW HP2
2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd8r View Post
They should have locked MV down to a longer term contract with a clear direction that he is their future and build the team around him going forward - passing the torch from rossi to him in rossi's remaining GP time frame (1-2 yrs), then bring in another rider to replace rossi on a 2 yr term, staggering the contract melee they got themselves into with JLO & rossi.
I respectfully disagree. Two years is plenty of time to see whether or not Vinales has what it takes to be a legitimate replacement and title contender and there is nothing that prevents Yamaha from extending and/or renegotiating a richer, longer term deal should Maverick truly prove himself worthy after a year or part way through year two of the existing contract (which for all we know may contain an extension trigger for an additional year that Yamaha could exercise at their own option).

It's not at all uncommon these days for the Factory teams to renegotiate and/or extend an existing rider's contract well before the expiration of the Agreement.

Overlooked in all the Silly Season talk about Lorenzo leaving for Ducati, Vinales to Yamaha and the yet unresolved contract status of other riders like Pedrosa, Iannone and Dovi whose contacts are up this year is the fact that Marquez' deal with HRC expires at the end of this season too. I suppose everyone somewhat justifiably assumes that he will resign with Honda at some point prior to the end of this season but imagine the level of shock and upheaval were he to decide to go to Ducati or Suzuki. I can't imagine HRC letting him go or any other factory passing on the opportunity to sign him but I would really love to see him leave Honda just to shake shit up....

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Well, now that it appears that Ducati have decided to renew their relationship with Dovi to team with Jorge and thus cut ties with Iannone, I guess Suzuki will being signing Crazy Joe.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode