2017 gsx-r1000 - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLZ View Post
Good luck with the MMI grad splitting the cases on your new $20k R1.
Lol! DUDE!!!!! I was just thinking the SAME THING!!!!

Lots of guys were racing them this year and I never heard of any gearbox issue. This is a new one for me.

With that said.......

If I owned the new R1 I would have the recall done and then put it up for sale. After having finally built an engine, I can't stomach the idea of some grease monkey with a cheap craftsman kit splitting my cases.

Maybe that RSV4 really is the move.

Gotcha bsess! Thought I was contradicting myself again didn't cha?!

SECTION8 FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
All this Jibber Jabber coming from a guy that thinks Lorenzo won fair and square. hahahahahahhahaha

All kidding aside, I have been posting contradictory posts as of late. I'm having a hard time making up mind as you can probably see. This morning I woke up again wanting the H2 but here it is later on in the morning and I feel like I should just hold onto my cash.

I'm a hot mess right now. lol

Oh and your "typeface" comment was hilarious. Spend upwards of $20,000 on a bike and you better love every detail. That's just my opinion though.

Just to reiterate, the Aprilia is a superb machine. I just don't like it's styling. ....and that's enough for me not to buy it. To each his own as they say. I think it's FUGLY! ....and I'm 197lbs on an empty stomach so the bike is too diminutive for my taste.

It's very likely that I may end up getting the H2 but if not, I'm perfectly content with riding my F4 on the track in 2016 and just spend a few dollars on some go-fast goodies for it. It dyno'ed at 146hp with the stock exhaust and a custom PCIII map. That's more HP than I can realistically use. No need for Traction Control with that HP figure. lol

Kawasaki's got plans to put that Supercharger on other machines. They unveiled a 600cc supercharged bike at the Tokyo motor show recently. This is only the beginning. I think the Smart Money waits. Look at the Desmosedici. That was $75K large, and barely cracked 170hp. It's still nice, but the performance has been trounced soundly. I think the same will happen with the H2. Maybe not the H2R, but definitely the H2 within the next 3 years. If the liter bike class all start putting 200hp to the wheel that will render the H2 obsolete. Then all you have is an overweight 1000cc bike with an expensive paint job. Kawasaki dropped the ball by not giving that bike at least 250HP out of the crate.

Firstly, Nate, I wish you and your Family a Healthy and Happy Thanksgiving.

On one hand you point out how your F4 (which is and forever shall be one of the most timelessly gorgeous and beautifully designed motorcycles ever produced) is making 146 HP in its currently very conservative state of tune and by your own reckoning, that's already more HP than you can realistically use. So far, I'm with you 100%. But then you go on to say that if all the liter class bikes start producing 200HP at the wheel within the next three years, then the H2 will be rendered obsolete. From your point of view, will that also render the current crop of liter bikes obsolete? And when you say "obsolete" (and this is just so I can understand you better) what do you mean exactly by obsolete? Obsolete in what sense? Their market value? How much fun or enjoyable they are to ride on the street and/or track?

I sincerely do look forward to your spelling things out for me so I can get a clear understanding and appreciation of the factors that define and govern your motives and criteria in deciding (or trying to decide) which is a.) the best bike for you to buy, and b.) the bike that is best for you and/or best suits your needs.

Take your time, Hoss!!

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsess View Post
But then you go on to say that if all the liter class bikes start producing 200HP at the wheel within the next three years, then the H2 will be rendered obsolete. From your point of view, will that also render the current crop of liter bikes obsolete? And when you say "obsolete" (and this is just so I can understand you better) what do you mean exactly by obsolete? Obsolete in what sense? Their market value? How much fun or enjoyable they are to ride on the street and/or track?
Not obsolete in the sense of how much bike the average consumer can handle. ........

Obsolete in the sense of how much bike you can get for your money. So basically, if the other manufacturers can put 200hp to the wheel for $15k-17k, then there's no reason to spend $28,000 OTD for a Kawasaki H2.

Basically what it comes down to is that since this is considered, at least for me anyway, a major purchase and won't happen again for a few years, I want to get the most bike for my $$$$$ whether I can exploit the machine or not.

The F4 did this for me, maybe not in the performance arena but definitely in the styling department because that bike just doesn't seem to age at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Not obsolete in the sense of how much bike the average consumer can handle. ........

Obsolete in the sense of how much bike you can get for your money. So basically, if the other manufacturers can put 200hp to the wheel for $15k-17k, then there's no reason to spend $28,000 OTD for a Kawasaki H2.

Basically what it comes down to is that since this is considered, at least for me anyway, a major purchase and won't happen again for a few years, I want to get the most bike for my $$$$$ whether I can exploit the machine or not.

The F4 did this for me, maybe not in the performance arena but definitely in the styling department because that bike just doesn't seem to age at all.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I now understand where you're coming from in terms of your decision making process. Best of luck and I hope whatever bike you end up buying makes you extremely happy in every way.

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I now understand where you're coming from in terms of your decision making process. Best of luck and I hope whatever bike you end up buying makes you extremely happy in every way.
Thanks man.

I just got off the phone with a buddy who owns a dealership. Heading in next Saturday to "Discuss" the H2.

I obviously won't be paying anywhere near close to MSRP.

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:03 AM
Panigaliscious

H2 and H2R are the only interesting Japanese bikes made today. If you have the money,WGAF about some stupid Suzuki.

With that said, new Gixxer looks much better and should be as good as any other literbike including the Yamaha and BMW. I just don't care.

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:53 AM

so the bottom line is a peak Hp number?...

...dawg
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdawg View Post
so the bottom line is a peak Hp number?...

Yup! For this kind of $$$$$ it is. Lol.

Brock's Performance got 274hp out of the thing so I think that might tickle my fancy.

From what I've seen, no stock H2R has actually gotten 300+HP to the wheel. So to get 274hp is pretty good.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Yup! For this kind of $$$$$ it is. Lol.

Brock's Performance got 274hp out of the thing so I think that might tickle my fancy.

From what I've seen, no stock H2R has actually gotten 300+HP to the wheel. So to get 274hp is pretty good.
Love the H2R. In addition to being a porker, however, the regular H2 just doesn't look right, much less gorgeous....If you're just looking for an overweight, heavy-assed, straight line missle, there are plenty of folks building 300-400HP Turbo Hayabusas.....

Last edited by bsess; 11-29-2015 at 04:30 AM.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Love the H2R. In addition to being a porker, the regular H2 just doesn't look right much less gorgeous.
It's actually not that heavy. After swapping out the exhaust, the measured weight of Brocks' H2 was 474lbs I think.

That's actually only a handful of pounds heavier than my MV F4.

BST also has wheels for it. I think that if I do go through with it I can actually get it to be a decent handling package. After muscling around a ZX7R on the track for a few seasons I don't think a 474 or so odd lb H2 will cause me any grief hustling it into and out of corners.

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
It's actually not that heavy. After swapping out the exhaust, the measured weight of Brocks' H2 was 474lbs I think.

That's actually only a handful of pounds heavier than my MV F4.

BST also has wheels for it. I think that if I do go through with it I can actually get it to be a decent handling package. After muscling around a ZX7R on the track for a few seasons I don't think a 474 or so odd lb H2 will cause me any grief hustling it into and out of corners.
I dunno. The ZX7R is indeed heavy but it also happens to be superbly balanced and one of the best handling, most stable (albeit heavy steering) 4 Stroke motorcycles ever made. In addition to the weight, the geometry and CG of the H2 is completely different.

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I dunno. The ZX7R is indeed heavy but it also happens to be superbly balanced and one of the best handling, most stable (albeit heavy steering) 4 Stroke motorcycles ever made. In addition to the weight, the geometry and CG of the H2 is completely different.
True statement. I totally agree here. The jury is out.

I just wish there was a way I could test ride one and do a few laps on the track with it before committing to the purchase.

post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 01:32 PM
And Stateside again...

From my understanding on the recalled r1's is Yamaha is shipping Crate motors for the replacement.

and it's only a specific VIN range in the US that is affected. Not every single last one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode