Will He or Won't He? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Will He or Won't He?

During the past week, news has circulated that Ducati is interested in signing Casey Stoner to be a test rider AND race their Factory MotoGP bike as a Wildcard rider at certain rounds of the MotoGP seaon if not a return to racing for them for a complete season. His contract with HRC is due to expire at the end of this year and I've read comments that he was unhappy about Honda not letting him ride Dani's bike when he was out with his arm problem. I would think Honda would want to keep him but can't see them agreeing to allow him to race as a wildcard on one of their Factory bikes.

I would be so stoked if he came back to race, even if only as a wildcard rider at Phillip Island. I can't wait to see how the story unfolds and which team he signs for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:54 PM

it would be fun to see what GiGi and Casey would come up with, remember, that Ducati is ahead of everyone else as far a software goes for the new rules ECM... lol

...dawg
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:16 AM

If the money is there he will, and if the commitment isn't greater than the Honda deal why not. He will at least get $1M for his time and free trips to all the races he wants to attend.

Beats racing fulltime.

2006 BMW HP2
2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:31 AM

would love to see him on a wild card ride or two
capecodrvt likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Even when the Ducati was impossible to ride competitively for anyone else, he was able to win races on it which probably defines one of Stoner's most unique gifts in that he is able to adapt to and overcome a bike's particular design and performance limitations better than anyone.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:43 PM

it would be great to see casey back in with ducati.
he wasnt happy when the throttle stuck on the honda at suzuka and refusing him pedrosas bike while he was out.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 AM
Currently: Moderating

Goat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
why don'y you do yourself a favor and put me on ignore

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:24 AM
Street and Track Moderator

I don't think there is anybody who loves racing that wouldn't want to see Stoner back on a competitive bike thrown into this mix...

CCS #33
CRA #533
CQC Motorsports
2011 CCS Midwest Rookies Cup GTO #1
2014 CRA Formula 40 #2
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited SS #1
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited Superbike #1
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited GP #1

2008 CBR 1000rr (Race)
2012 Multistrada 1200 (Street Ride)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:10 PM

Get ready for some high class whining if he comes back... drank milk and decided not to race and just fish.

Would be good to see him on the Duc, although I would have preferred to see him in a straight up battle with MM on the Honda. IF he does race next year, there will be too many variables on either side of that equation to get a head to head comparison.

2013 BMW S1000RR
2011 Honda CRF450R (Supermoto)
2005 Yamaha Midnight Warrior
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 04:26 PM
He with the senior member

I'd love to see him back on a Duc.

I think there are three key factors that determine the extent of his possible return:

1. If Ducati and their main sponsors, Philip Morris, Telecom Italia, Shell, etc are willing to have him perform MINIMAL sponsor related activity - the thing he detests even more than he detests Rossi :-)

2. If he truly believes he can beat MM on the Honda

3. A chance to rub his performance on the Ducati (albeit a very different Ducati, nonetheless!) on Rossi - "See, I won the Championship on that POS, and can still win races on them, while you, Rossi, were useless!" type of thoughts :-)

OK, a 4th one....

4. If he is truly sick and tired of fishing and V8 racing.

Old Baldy
Triumph Tiger 955i with decent suspension.
Ducati 996 with hot 999 motor
Kawasaki KLR650

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:56 AM

Garage
I'd love to see Casey back on a Ducati !
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

I could definitely see him signing with Ducati and racing just one wildcard round at his home track in Philip Island where he was pretty much unbeatable. What amazed me about Stoner was how he could run harder front tire compounds than anyone else and somehow load it up enough so that it would not only stick well planted but also then give him the advantage/benefit of having longer duration of grip over race distance over his competitors. While he could spin up and slide the back end as well if not better than anyone, his style or approach was much different than Marquez, for example, who regularly slides the front and back tires, the former not always to his desired objective. Who knows if he can recover to full form after the long layoff but to see him on track against Lorenzo, Rossi, Marquez, Pedrosa and the rest even for just one race would be like watching an alien all star game. Seeing that it's almost an absolute certainty that Honda would never go for the idea of letting him race one or more rounds as a wildcard, I feel pretty confident that he's going to sign with Ducati. And, if over the course of testing, he proves to himself that he can still deliver the mail, I believe we will see him race again for at least one round next year....

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Well that was a little bit sooner than expected....
Soup :: Stoner To Return to Ducati :: 11-23-2015

A nice statement from Honda:Soup :: Now Things Get Very Interesting Indeed :: 11-23-2015

If he and the Ducati get on well enough together to the extent he believes he can win races on it, that is precisely when Stoner and Ducati will officially announce he will race again as a Factory Wildcard entry at Phillip Island and possibly another round or two.

For die-hard Ducati fans at least, to see Stoner make his return in Australia and beat the field convincingly would faintly echo "Mike the Bike's" dramatic comeback win at the Isle of Man in 1978....

Last edited by bsess; 11-24-2015 at 04:04 AM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Very well written opinion piece by Jamie Klein from MOTOSPORT.COM :Opinion: Why a Casey Stoner comeback is just what MotoGP needs

Opinion: Why a Casey Stoner comeback is just what MotoGP needs:

It was finally confirmed on Monday that Casey Stoner will be a Ducati test rider in 2016 and a full-time comeback for the two-time champion could be just what MotoGP needs, reckons Jamie Klein.

When Casey Stoner stunned the MotoGP paddock at Le Mans in 2012 with news of his pending retirement, it seemed fairly definitive.
At the time, the Australian admitted he was no longer enjoying competing, suggesting more recently that he would only consider a comeback if the sport was to switch to 750cc two-strokes with zero electronics.
There's more chance of Alex de Angelis winning the title next year than MotoGP going down that particular path and yet, here we are, with Stoner ready to return to a paddock he was more than happy to be leaving three years ago, albeit just as a test rider.
It could be argued such a move follows a logical trend that suggests Stoner perhaps still has a competitive itch to scratch.
The path to a comeback?

The first sign of this came when Dani Pedrosa was ruled out of April's Austin race after undergoing forearm surgery following the Qatar curtain-raiser.
Stoner offered to fill in for the Spaniard, only to be turned down by HRC - reportedly at the behest of his successor Marc Marquez, who is said to have felt threatened by Stoner's development work on the RC213V.
That news followed confirmation that Stoner would be making his first race appearance since the final MotoGP outing of 2012 in the Suzuka 8 Hours that July.
His race came to an ignominious end when he was thrown over the handlebars by a stuck throttle, but Stoner nonetheless demonstrated that he hadn't forgotten how to ride a motorcycle quickly.
Indeed, during an earlier visit by the Aussie to Catalunya to demonstrate Honda's new RC213V-S road bike, Jorge Lorenzo said he felt Stoner could still be a winner in MotoGP if he chose to return.
"I never saw a better natural talent riding a bike," said Lorenzo. "It was clearly a great show watching him ride a bike, especially in Phillip Island, and he has my respect.
"If he came back some day he would be there winning and fighting for the win. I would receive him with open arms."
A win-win situation

So, could a comeback happen? Confirmation of Stoner's Ducati deal was thin on details of precisely what the 30-year-old will get up to next year, but the allure of such an arrangement on both sides is understandable.
Ducati gets invaluable technical feedback that will help it take the final steps needed to match the Japanese factories, while Stoner gets to make a meaningful contribution to the development of a top-line MotoGP bike (having had his recommendations for this year's Honda ignored) and perhaps even making a wildcard outing or two if the mood takes him.
And, what if, say, after a competitive outing in front of his adoring home fans at Phillip Island, Stoner is faintly tempted to make a full-time return in a bid to secure the prize that has eluded Ducati since his first championship crown back in 2007?
No doubt the Bologna marque would bend over backwards to accommodate Stoner in its line-up, while MotoGP series promoter Dorna, having offered Ducati certain performance breaks in the last few seasons for it to be able to battle Honda and Yamaha on equal terms, would be equally delighted.
What's more, Stoner would be another big name to go alongside the existing elite trio of Valentino Rossi, Marc Marquez and Jorge Lorenzo to boost the championship's profile.
The above quartet, plus the indefatigable Dani Pedrosa, remain the only riders to have won a MotoGP race since 2012, and it will take time to build the likes of Andrea Iannone, Bradley Smith, Pol Espargaro and Maverick Vinales into household names.
The appeal of welcoming back a ready-made star like Stoner therefore is clear, especially if he is immediately able to take the fight to the 'aliens'.
Good for the long haul

Even if he isn't, Stoner's progress would still supply an intriguing subplot to the main championship fight for fans and media alike, helping to redress the balance at a time when the sport appears to have a dangerous reliance on a single rider for its global appeal.
After all, Rossi isn't going to be around forever, and MotoGP can't afford a sudden mass exodus of fans when the Italian finally decides to hang up his helmet: having Stoner around could help soften the blow when that day comes.
Despite the obvious advantages for just about all involved, the fact is that a Stoner comeback remains extremely unlikely.
The factors that drove him away from the sport in the first place haven't much changed in the intervening period, barring the introduction of less sophisticated electronic software for next season.
But, if he is secretly flirting with the notion, arguably there would be no better time for him to return than 2017, nor a better place to do so than Ducati.
Maybe just, maybe we haven't yet seen the last of Casey Stoner in MotoGP.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:41 PM

I think it's gonna take a really good bike for even Casey to come back and win four years removed. It's good for the sport though.
Reminds me of Peyton Manning.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Stoner posted a 2:02.10 lap time yesterday at Sepang while riding the Ducati GP15 for the first time. Not too shabby for a first day shake down ride and a hair quicker than MM who struggled a bit with the 2016 Honda and the combination of new tires and software.

I understand that Stoner will participate in one full day of the official three day Sepang MotoGP Test, this time together on the track with the rest of the MotoGP teams and riders.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Panigaliscious

He rode today, ninth fastest but that was on hard tires where all the faster Ducati times were on soft tires.

Read an interview a couple of weeks ago in an Australian bike mag where Stoner said he hasn't made up his mind if he will do wild cards, and if he does it won't automatically be Phillip Island. He did mention COTA as a possibility and if he is satisfied he will be competitive I could see that for sure.

Also reiterated he has no interest doing a full season, but I have to wonder if getting back on the bike, but perhaps moreso that the fans seem to actually be glad he is back, would maybe change that decision.

Stoner back on a Ducati would be a fan favorite IMO. Not VR46 popular, but second best.

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:22 PM

would love to see Stoner mix it up with Mark. Speaking of COTA, is anybody going?...

...dawg
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 PM
He with the senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdawg View Post
would love to see Stoner mix it up with Mark. Speaking of COTA, is anybody going?...
Yes, would love to see CS on the Duc! I think he would give Iannone a run for his money within 5 sessions, and be faster within 10 sessions at race pace.

Regarding COTA - yes, wife and I and a couple friends are doing the 3-day VIP + paddock passes package again.

Old Baldy
Triumph Tiger 955i with decent suspension.
Ducati 996 with hot 999 motor
Kawasaki KLR650

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 AM
Currently: Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdawg View Post
U got me thinking of skipping The Masters and having a reunion. After all, we were there for MM's first win.

Maybe we can give OB a big hug and have him unblock me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
why don'y you do yourself a favor and put me on ignore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode