Nicky Hayden's Last Race - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Nicky Hayden's Last Race

I've been following Hayden's career since he was a gifted 12 year old motorcycle racing prodigy. While he was not as aggressive and bloodthirsty as I would have liked, I don't think there has ever been such a perpetually likable, classy, polite, and upstanding representative in our sport. Seeing how Valencia is his final race and he was just named a MotoGP Legend, a thought occurred to me followed by a trace of disappointment: Wouldn't it have been nice if HRC had provided him with factory level bike for his final race at Valencia? I have no doubt that Hayden could still secure a top 7 or at least top 10 finish on a factory bike and it would have been a really gracious farewell gesture to the former World Champion who helped bring Honda their first championship title in many years back in 2006.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:14 PM

Honda only cares about itself. Met him once at a flat track race in Baytown Tx. Earl, and the whole famdamily was there. Tommy and Rodger were racing, and Nicky had his arm in a cast. We spent some time talking in the pits, and ogling Willie McCoy's new squeeze, who was running around the pits in what had to be a barely legal pair of Daisy Dukes. I really liked the guy. In a way, I'm glad to see him moving to WSB. At least there, he will get a competitive bike, which is something he hasn't had since he won the championship in '06. I think it's most noteworthy that on the Ducati, he was often faster than Rossi. But perhaps that lack of killer instict was his own personal downfall. While he is undoubtedly and excellent rider, with passion for the sport, he was always just one nth away from the aliens. I'm hoping he will dominate again on a superbike. For me the best rides of his career were on the RC51. It suits his style of riding better perhaps. Would also love to see him come back to the states, and do some dirt track racing again. As stated, he is probably the classiest sportsman to come along in our sport for a long time. I wish him the best...

...dawg
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdawg View Post
Honda only cares about itself. Met him once at a flat track race in Baytown Tx. Earl, and the whole famdamily was there. Tommy and Rodger were racing, and Nicky had his arm in a cast. We spent some time talking in the pits, and ogling Willie McCoy's new squeeze, who was running around the pits in what had to be a barely legal pair of Daisy Dukes. I really liked the guy. In a way, I'm glad to see him moving to WSB. At least there, he will get a competitive bike, which is something he hasn't had since he won the championship in '06. I think it's most noteworthy that on the Ducati, he was often faster than Rossi. But perhaps that lack of killer instict was his own personal downfall. While he is undoubtedly and excellent rider, with passion for the sport, he was always just one nth away from the aliens. I'm hoping he will dominate again on a superbike. For me the best rides of his career were on the RC51. It suits his style of riding better perhaps. Would also love to see him come back to the states, and do some dirt track racing again. As stated, he is probably the classiest sportsman to come along in our sport for a long time. I wish him the best...
Well said, Dawg. As far as going to WSB is concerned, isn't the current Honda Superbike pretty much a POS? Do you know if they have a new liter bike forthcoming to compete with the Kawi and whatever else has a chance to win races? I really stopped watching WSB altogether after Spies came, saw and conquered.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:40 AM

what would keep them from running the "new" civilian version 213 with a kit?

...dawg
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
In the past, I know a manufacturer had to produce a minimum number of actual street bikes and make them available for sale to the public in order to meet WSB homologation requirements but I have no idea what that number is today but it used to be 500 units.

If it is the RC213V that Hayden will be running in WSB, then that would be pretty damn awesome. How cool would it be for Nicky to win a WSB title?!!

Last edited by bsess; 11-08-2015 at 02:53 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Rules. And Honda.
Honda make it clear they have no intention of making enough 213 derivative bikes to homologate it for World Superbike. A total of 1000 over a couple years. Plus, I believe there is a price cap for homologation. No way in hell that 213 turd, shiney as it is, will make it under a low/mid 5 figure (American) cap. As I recall it's something in the neighborhood of $30,000.

Steven
2016 Triumph Street Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 06:22 AM

Unless Honda dumps a truckload of money into their current 1000, Nicky will be lucky to get a podium. They have a new bike coming in 2017, and Nicky is a good setup and R&D racer, so hopefully they will be competitive. I hope he does well in WSBK, nobody has ever won both titles.

Now it's probably time for someone to come along and say he lucked into the 2006 championship
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Currently: Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR51 View Post
Now it's probably time for someone to come along and say he lucked into the 2006 championship
BURN!!! Lets all stand and recognize the lost souls who left this very forum on that fateful day in 2006. I know Giannis' meltdown has become Internet fodder but there were many more folks who took their Rossi pajamas and left the site after spectacular flameouts following that choke job. Yes, over a motorcycle race! Granted, it was the worst choke job in many years but it was still just a bike race.

And somehow, showing his mosquito-like resolve, MrGrn still hung around the site and acted like Nicky didn't just nut all over his face.

So of all the people that Nicky ran off this forum, we were left with the worst of them all. But in the end, he did cleanse us of so many hateful, anti-American parasites in the process.

Fuk you MrGrn! Nicky jammed that 'Ship right down your throat and made you look like the fool you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
why don'y you do yourself a favor and put me on ignore

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Street and Track Moderator

Looking forward to seeing him in WSBK. Quite frankly, it was getting old watching him run around on garbage these last few years. I always wondered why he didn't jump at Ducati's offer a few years ago??? The Honda is long in the tooth, but is still a great handling bike. The new bike in 17, should be a modern improvement (with more power), on a great existing bike.

CCS #33
CRA #533
CQC Motorsports
2011 CCS Midwest Rookies Cup GTO #1
2014 CRA Formula 40 #2
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited SS #1
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited Superbike #1
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited GP #1

2008 CBR 1000rr (Race)
2012 Multistrada 1200 (Street Ride)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmansell View Post
Looking forward to seeing him in WSBK. Quite frankly, it was getting old watching him run around on garbage these last few years. I always wondered why he didn't jump at Ducati's offer a few years ago??? The Honda is long in the tooth, but is still a great handling bike. The new bike in 17, should be a modern improvement (with more power), on a great existing bike.
I agree wholeheartedly.

He went to MGP very early, got a title and imo once he lost a factory ride should have moved to WSC and helped revitalize that series. Biaggi and Hayden in WSC would surely have seen the MGP principals jump sooner to buy in.

I wonder if they will bring out an R version this yr for him to ride before the RR.

2006 BMW HP2
2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 PM

Plus, he had the best number.
Casey Stoner had the best name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode