Now that I have some time I wanted to post my full report.
After riding it one time in the twisties I can say the most prominent things I noticed were:
-Most stable motorcycle I've ever ridden, holds the line like a bauss! I can roll up to stop signs and stop without putting my feet down most of the time.
-Easy to lean comfortably, first bike I eliminated the chicken strips on the first ride.
-Needs more power up top, punch down low is excellent. Had my R1 buddy off the line, but the RC peters out with it's flat power band up top. I have not done the flapper valve or soft rev mods yet. After owning a few inline sport bikes I do miss the 'turbo' punch up top. However the power band adds to the bike's easy rideability.
-Heavy steering, my lady arms were sore after a few hours of cornering.
-Seating position is nice for high speed, but I don't like how the tank front easily gets in the way of parking lot steering.
-Exhaust note with the Two Bros, to quote a friend, "sounds like a Harley and a race car got it on!" He said he could feel the bike coming up behind him while he rode his R1. Badass.
To the recent build pics!
The left radiator had loose mounts after the previous owner's wreck and the placement was interfering with the steering.
Ian tig welding the top and bottom radiator mounts back to stock placement.
The story behind the second RC I posted seems to be ever changing. I found it on the local craigslist listed for $1800, had recently been down on it's right side. Said wth and offered the guy $1k and he took it after some haggling. We were at his house filling out the paperwork within an hour. It has a 2003 SP2 frame and all the rest of the parts are SP1. Has a salvage title...looks like it might have been a theft recovery and a wreck. Originally bought it to use the good parts for my bike (Power Commander, Corbin seat, unbodyworked tank, non-chrome SP1 wheels, etc), fix, and sell for profit. But now it's looking like my fiancee will be working on getting it running and ridable to keep up with me and our R1 buddy.
Getting the front CBR wheel to fit has been a PITA. We had some spacers made by a friend, but it turned out the outer diameter was too big to fit the dust seals. Here we're using a relative's lathe to fix that.
Once we were able to install the new wheel bearings and spacers we also found out the overall spacer width was correct between the forks. But the math was messed up with the bearing offset and the wheel was 1/10th of an inch off center. Machined more off the smaller left spacer, then found the our aluminum jack handle had the right inner diameter to add to the larger right side. Chucked it in the lathe and machined an extra little spacer. Viola!
Swapped the new RC's tank onto my bike. No bodywork and no tank sealant!
Took the SP1 power commander out of the new RC and took mine out for a test run. Less popping, better power delivery. No license plate yet so could only ride in the neighborhood. Needed some high speed pulls yet.
Ian soldering the license plate light before inspection and registration.
The other RC came with one good left fairing so I took it too. Still looks janky, but wow this is a fun bia to ride! Lots of work left, but pleased to have a good riding bike.
Labor Day ride; my first real ride on my bike. Ian's SV was sitting in the garage with no front end so he took my father's C4 Corvette to chase the RC and the R1 out in the forests.