Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums (https://www.speedzilla.com/forums/)
-   Project bikes (https://www.speedzilla.com/forums/project-bikes/)
-   -   RC51 Streetfighter Build (https://www.speedzilla.com/forums/project-bikes/68452-rc51-streetfighter-build.html)

TLRSKUNK 07-06-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.miller123 (Post 715320)
I won't be doing an undertail exhaust (going with a set of titanium mids and titanium motogp style cans from ladybird) so the stock wiring and component locations will remain until I make a custom tail. http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/5ec45886.jpg

I believe he said no.

CrashTestDummie 07-06-2012 05:44 PM

oops, yeah, I missed that part.:mad:

TLRSKUNK 07-06-2012 08:41 PM

It's cool.

RC51Stunna 07-08-2012 01:25 AM

Looks great! Can't wait to see it with the new exhaust! Have you considered any kind of mini-belly pan for below/in front of the oil-pan?

I wouldnt do a thing with the tail, except maybe replace it with a CF tyga 1 pc unit.


Stunna

b.miller123 07-08-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51Stunna (Post 715662)
Looks great! Can't wait to see it with the new exhaust! Have you considered any kind of mini-belly pan for below/in front of the oil-pan?

I wouldnt do a thing with the tail, except maybe replace it with a CF tyga 1 pc unit.


Stunna

I'm going to look into something similar to what is on the viper: http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/viper1_1.jpg

I just can't seem to find one that looks right, so I might have to make my own.

The tail, well my mind on that changes about once a week. I like the CBR tail, the 1098 tail, and the panigale tail also looks sweet....

This tail will stay on until the winter though. It has some rash on the other side, but it is decent enough for now. I just need to actually ride this thing. I haven't ridden in about five months and it is killing me.

RC51Stunna 07-08-2012 06:33 PM

Ya, the viper one is awesome although a bit different that its not symetrical on both sides. Looks like theirs is a totally custom unit as well.

The only other thing I can think of is if you can find a VTR1000F OEM/Aftermarket bellypan, you may be able to make that work with some modification...?

Stunna

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.miller123 (Post 715684)
I'm going to look into something similar to what is on the viper: http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/viper1_1.jpg

I just can't seem to find one that looks right, so I might have to make my own.

The tail, well my mind on that changes about once a week. I like the CBR tail, the 1098 tail, and the panigale tail also looks sweet....

This tail will stay on until the winter though. It has some rash on the other side, but it is decent enough for now. I just need to actually ride this thing. I haven't ridden in about five months and it is killing me.


b.miller123 07-16-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51Stunna (Post 715739)
Ya, the viper one is awesome although a bit different that its not symetrical on both sides. Looks like theirs is a totally custom unit as well.

The only other thing I can think of is if you can find a VTR1000F OEM/Aftermarket bellypan, you may be able to make that work with some modification...?

Stunna

I think the viper one is one off too, I've search high and low on the web and can't find anything similar. The Vtr one might work, but it is a little too pointy for my tastes.

b.miller123 07-16-2012 02:40 PM

A small update, gased it up and it fired on the first shot. Not bad for having it torn down to basically an engine siting in a rolling chassis. Almost have enough pennies saved up for some titanium cans from ladybird. Those will probably be getting ordered withing a month. I still have to bleed the rear brake and get the undertail and wiring in the tail sorted out.

I'm debating between the plain or the colored titanium cans. My mids are plain, but will turn blue on their own. Any thoughts?

RC51 SP-1/2 LADYBIRD TITANIUM MOTO GP MUFFLER CANISTERS ONLY(PAIR) | eBay

LADYBIRD FULL TITANIUM MOTO GP CANISTER!BEAUTIFUL POLISHED BLUED FINISH | eBay



Brand spanking new Öhlins rear shock from Dan Kyle Racing, my old Moriwaki suspension link and new Tyga hugger installed:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/642ec9c1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/f3d64e11.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/7f9172fb.jpg

Rothmans 07-16-2012 04:59 PM

Very nice!!!!

RC51Stunna 07-17-2012 08:57 PM

Looks great man! I think on your bike the blued cans would really throw off your monochromatic color scheme you have going on. I would go with the plain Ti if it was me.

How about a custom belly pan like this one? Just some more ideas to play with since as you said, your probably going to have to make it one-off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...0020267308.jpg
Stunna

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.miller123 (Post 716802)
A small update, gased it up and it fired on the first shot. Not bad for having it torn down to basically an engine siting in a rolling chassis. Almost have enough pennies saved up for some titanium cans from ladybird. Those will probably be getting ordered withing a month. I still have to bleed the rear brake and get the undertail and wiring in the tail sorted out.

I'm debating between the plain or the colored titanium cans. My mids are plain, but will turn blue on their own. Any thoughts?

http://rover.ebay.com/ar/1/711-53200...5&toolid=10001 RC51 SP-1/2 LADYBIRD TITANIUM MOTO GP MUFFLER CANISTERS ONLY(PAIR) | eBay

http://rover.ebay.com/ar/1/711-53200...5&toolid=10001 LADYBIRD FULL TITANIUM MOTO GP CANISTER!BEAUTIFUL POLISHED BLUED FINISH | eBay



Brand spanking new Öhlins rear shock from Dan Kyle Racing, my old Moriwaki suspension link and new Tyga hugger installed:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/642ec9c1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/f3d64e11.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/7f9172fb.jpg


b.miller123 07-21-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51Stunna (Post 717021)
Looks great man! I think on your bike the blued cans would really throw off your monochromatic color scheme you have going on. I would go with the plain Ti if it was me.

How about a custom belly pan like this one? Just some more ideas to play with since as you said, your probably going to have to make it one-off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...0020267308.jpg
Stunna

That's the euro cb1100 right? I'm not sure if I like the long belly pan. I'll have to ponder that one for a while.

I'm going to go with the plain canisters. You're right in that it will match everything else rather well. Simon has a PM, so hopefully I'll be riding in a few weeks.

RIRC51 07-26-2012 07:21 PM

Just caught up on the build, looking great Brett.

b.miller123 08-05-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIRC51 (Post 718068)
Just caught up on the build, looking great Brett.

Thanks man. There are some things that I would like to have done differently, but life has a funny way of getting in the way of plans.

b.miller123 08-05-2012 03:22 AM

Small update for now. Got the coolant overflow bottle mounted, and the titanium cans came in, so it is rideable other than exhaust hangers and getting it registered and plated. I think I'll just make some hangers with some aluminum flat stock since the exhaust isn't heavy at all. I still have to figure out the ignition, I still want to do an RFID keyless ignition, but that will have to wait until I tear it down again for a complete rewire and move everything around.

I did get the chance to a few things. I scored a set of brand new front brake rotors off a 06 or 07 CBR1000RR. They are a direct swap with the only difference being the thickness of the rotors. They increased the RC rotor thickness on the SP2 model to battle warping issues, so hopefully these won't do that. If it happens, I can always use the stock rotors.

I mainly did this just for looks, as I absolutely ****ing hate gold shit. If I had the money, I would tear down the Öhlins rear shock and anodize it black. I also installed some black caliper brackets that I have been holding onto for a while.

$85 of goodness:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/d7620f30.jpg

Old rotor, ugly gold anodizing:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/72e430ec.jpg

New black rotors:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/1bac3f7a.jpg

What the ugly ass stock gold calipers and rotors used to look like:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/3a233d55.jpg

All together now:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...2/0aae9ae1.jpg

b.miller123 08-05-2012 03:32 AM


Luck Runs Out... 08-05-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.miller123 (Post 719084)
If I had the money, I would tear down the Öhlins rear shock and anodize it black.

:eek: If this was Facebook, we would no longer be friends. :D

b.miller123 08-05-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck Runs Out... (Post 719088)
:eek: If this was Facebook, we would no longer be friends. :D

Haha, sorry but gold colored stuff has always just looked tacky to me. Although, it didn't bother me enough to buy a different shock.

If possible, this winter I am going to pull all the gold colored engine covers and get them powdercoated or ceramic coated. I'll probably do the oil pan too. I'll have to do a valve check and pull the frame off to get coated too. Might as well do it all at once. It all depends on finances as right now my wife is having trouble finding a job.

RIRC51 08-05-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.miller123 (Post 719083)
Thanks man. There are some things that I would like to have done differently, but life has a funny way of getting in the way of plans.

Amen to that.

I don't think I'm as averse to gold as you are, but I really like the black rotor carriers, looks sharp.

Dick's RC Fiddy One 08-07-2012 03:17 AM

Caliper and rotors
 
That combo looks really good on the OZ Wheels, way better than the gold. Have you fired it up with those cans on it? Get your ear plugs ready:D but I do like the way they sound on Jess' bike.

b.miller123 08-08-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick's RC Fiddy One (Post 719251)
That combo looks really good on the OZ Wheels, way better than the gold. Have you fired it up with those cans on it? Get your ear plugs ready:D but I do like the way they sound on Jess' bike.

I did take a quick stab at the starter this weekend, but it was around 2am and I didn't want to wake up the family. It actually wasnt as loud as I expected, I didn't give it much gas though.

I just need to spend a little more time on it and I should be at least able to ride it soon. Hopefully the nice weather will hold out. (wtf am I thinking? This is Washington)


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2011, Speedzilla.com, Inc

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome