Hawk GT project....done? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
I'll fix it.

Hawk GT project....done?

In 08 I picked up a clean, mostly original 89 Hawk GT, after 20 years of wanting one:

it had been sitting, so carbs were cleaned, along with fresh intake boots:

I replaced the chain and sprockets, but noticed the cush drive rubbers were pretty hammered, so those got replaced too:

Im a pretty big guy, and the stock 20 year old suspension was severely overwhelmed. I didnt want to go thru the trouble of grafting on a diff front end, so I threw everything race tech makes at the stock forks. Correct rate springs, cartridge emulators, superslick bushings, etc. along with a fresh set of oem seals...the origs were well past their prime but somehow werent leaking:

out back, I got a little more serious:

Since I stuck with stock forks, I had to made the best of the stock single front rotor setup. Cue EBC rotor/HH pads, stainless line and a full system rebuild:

one of the previous owners had done a horrible hackjob on the rear fender (btw I also got some custom RC31 decals made):

I found a free unchopped orig fender, but it looked less than appealing:

Some elbow grease and careful painting had it looking good:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
I'll fix it.

...continued

When I bought the bike it had a few small tears in the seat, which I wasnt too concerned with....daily use had them growing rapidly. I lucked into a custom covered seat on ebay for $100:

Ive always liked the looks of white wheels on a red bike, so I nabbed another set of wheels (I think I paid $130 for the set) and had them powdercoated:

They look pretty good imo:

One day someone traded in a ratty old yamaha seca II, which does not have a round headlight...and they had grafted onto the bare fairing bracket, a ducati headlight cowl/flyscreen. The bike was so ratty it was going straight to auction anyway, so I nabbed it. shame it wasnt red:

I used KLR650 engine brackets to mount it, so its plenty stable:

The bike had cheap emgo mirrors on it that were starting to get a little rattly, so I grabbed a set of K&S technologies GT mirrors:

And the obligatory Deal's Gap trip:

where it held its own nicely:

As of late 2010, any further hawk projects are on hold since I went and bought this, and have been piling up the miles on it:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
sweet bike, if I ever come across a decent one for sale it will be mine. oh yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
-_-

Hey, nice build. I donīt dig the bikeīs styling, but the effort is really good. Iīd like to see more of that kind of stuff.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
I'll fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyisthedevil View Post
sweet bike, if I ever come across a decent one for sale it will be mine. oh yes.
This one can be yours for the right price
PM me
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Silverback

I love the white wheels. I got a few miles in on my 'wife's' Hawk the other night. That little shit is going to be so much fun!

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
lol. one money pit at a time. after I finish my little project I'll be sure to hit you up. if you still have it and we can talk then.

06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyisthedevil View Post

IF you're up for a road trip, this one is in great condition with some choice mods for the right price. I'd love to have that front end.

http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/2865261027.html

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
I'll fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheny View Post
I'd love to have that front end.
Not to hijack my own thread here, but I have a wheel, forks, axle/spacer/speedo drive, fender, & calipers off a 93 CBR600F2 with galfer wave rotors installed. They arent any more advanced tech-wise than the hawk forks, but they are dual disc and bolt right up (the setup came off a friend's hawk) I decided not to use it because I had already modded the hawk front end so much.

I'll take $250 for the set. I also have some other spare hawk bits if youre in need of anything.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezmo View Post
Not to hijack my own thread here, but I have a wheel, forks, axle/spacer/speedo drive, fender, & calipers off a 93 CBR600F2 with galfer wave rotors installed. They arent any more advanced tech-wise than the hawk forks, but they are dual disc and bolt right up (the setup came off a friend's hawk) I decided not to use it because I had already modded the hawk front end so much.

I'll take $250 for the set. I also have some other spare hawk bits if youre in need of anything.
I'd have to say I might have hijacked this thread first!

I appreciate the offer, but after spending my tax return on a bike, instead of suspension for my RC, I'm out of money. I will keep you in mind for parts and misc stuff however, thanks!

Plus, I want to put a GSXR front end or something a bit more modern/usd on there. These bikes look great for their age and the updated forks really set them off.

-Hunter S. Thompson
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 PM

I love my little Hawk, it would be a blast at the Dragon. It has lots of miles on the Snake (Shady Valley TN).

Thanks,
Jay Goddard
1990 RC30, 1990 Hawk GT
1994 E900, 2007 CBR600RR
1998 Moriwaki SuperHawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode