CA DMV taxes question- - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

CA DMV taxes question-

Ok, I get that businesses charge us when we buy a new bike. Whatever.

However, why the State is entitled to yet another helping of cash when an individual sells a bike to an individual, is beyond comprehension.

So, anybody know a way to avoid the tax when i buy a used bike from a guy?

Can it be declared a gift?
If I say I paid $500 for a bike worth more, can they challenge that and extort more money from me?

Since California Democraps have spent us into the toilet, giving us the worst state credit rating in the country, I suppose they will be looking under every couch for quarters, including mine.

"I'd rather have a German division in front of me, than a French division behind me"--George S. Patton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the Democrats, there was a time during G. Davis's reign the DMV registration fees were reduced to almost nothing and at one point the state was going to do away with the registration taxation altogether, then in comes Arnold to fix what Davis did and now look at us. On the other hand, sales tax on used vehicles has been around forever, thats nothing new. There is no difference between a dealership charging tax and a private individual. Actually you have a better shot at reducing your tax responsibility if the seller of the bike will work with you in adjusting the sales price on paper. The dealer has no choice but to report the actual price. I don't think the gift thing will work, there is still going to be an assessed tax on the bike regardless. I believe the only time the tax is waived is when the vehicle is given to a family member.

I've bought and sold 6 or 7 bikes in the last 4 years, just suck it up and pay the tax, again, its no different than buying a taxable item from a store. Just because its from a private owner doesn't mean its a freebie. The State has to get their share of the transaction to keep the gears going, so to speak. Right now the registration fees is more of a worry than sales tax.

From past experience, as long as you keep the recorded sales price somewhat within the realm of reality, DMV doesn't hassle you. Seems to me they are fairly liberal in this regard and have never used the blue book to check my recorded sales prices.

2003 HD FLHRI
2003 Ducati 999R #189
2009 Buell 1125CR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1100S MTS (sold)
2005 Honda 600RR (totalled)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1995 Ducati 916 (sold)
2004 Ducati 999S (sold)
2005 Honda 600RR (Oops, I did it again, this time in red/black - sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode