Speedzilla Forums banner

Front Preload Question

844 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  pannetron 
#1 ·
I have my stock front forks that were reworked by DK using stock springs (DK stated that they were correct for my weight). Dan told me that due to the top-out springs, setting dynamic sag is not determined in the typical fashion. But rather, adjusting preload based on suspension travel. In other words, placing zip tie on one of the fork tubes and adjusting preload to get the most suspension travel without bottoming out the forks.

Upon using this method and testing with aggresive riding, I've noticed that my dynamic sag is 35mm regardless of the preload setting.

Does that sound right or did I misunderstand DK? I weigh approx 215 with full gear. What do you guys think? :)

#3 ·
Well If you weigh 215 and Dan left the stock springs in your forks,...Well Dan has been kidnapped and there is a imposter in Sand City.

The stock springs are under weight for 195 pounder..

Static sag can be measured with the top out spring by sacking this spring while supporting the front of the bike to achieve "zero" then re-measuring with bike fuly laden, rider in aggressive tuck.

35 to 37mm is your target. You will never get there with the stocksprings.

#4 ·
Having my '04 RC51, and have yet to get the suspension set up for me...:confused: looks like I am in for some shit, me weighing in at deathly 140, and a hair more with gear on. Probably near impossible to get the bike set up for me. :banghead

#5 ·
sp2pilot said:
Well If you weigh 215 and Dan left the stock springs in your forks,...Well Dan has been kidnapped and there is a imposter in Sand City.

The stock springs are under weight for 195 pounder..

Static sag can be measured with the top out spring by sacking this spring while supporting the front of the bike to achieve "zero" then re-measuring with bike fuly laden, rider in aggressive tuck.

35 to 37mm is your target. You will never get there with the stocksprings.
I weigh about 220 lb in gear and Dan recommended the stock springs for me as well when he reworked my '03 forks this past winter. He must have put in a spacer because the springs really do work well for me. :twocents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.