compression test? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

compression test?

I'm looking for someone to tell me what the compression should be (psi) per cylinder on my sp1.im not sure what happen to my bike but on the way home today while slowing for a stop sign i heard a kind of louder back fire when i rolled off the throttle and the bike died. it wouldn't start until i pushed it home now it some what starts for a moment but won't idle? when i give it gas it wants to rev a bit but cuts out and dies. the fuel pump primes but doesn't sound s a little different then normal. how can i test the fuel pump? than thing will help. thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 05:59 PM

Sounds like you dropped a cylinder check for spark.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

it was throwing cade 9 and code 11 i think. and 9 flashes the was 2 long and 1 quick flash. compression is good. i was attempting to clear the codes thinking maybe the were old. now with the test plug jumped I'm just getting the FI light on solid? and idea what it may take to throw new codes???

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

i have spark. how can i test if fuel delivery is good
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:14 AM

9 blinks is the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. It's the one located on the airbox. Very common not plugging it properly or pinching the wire when lifting the tank.

11 blinks would be the speed sensor. Easy to check (just follow the wiring from the back R/H side of the engine) but know these sensors are known to go bad. Shouldn't affect vehicle operation.

As per fuel, you should carry out a fuel pressure/flow test.
To test pressure, you'll need a fuel pressure gauge that bolts straight into the fuel pump main outlet. Details on request and pressure should be 50psi.

To test flow, you need to disconnect the fuel cut off relay and short the connector. Lift the tank and disconnect the fuel return line. Put a scaled container under it and turn on the ignition for 10 seconds.
Flow should be 190cc/10 seconds.

Now, these bikes are quite prone to clogging up their fuel filters: in 90% of the cases I've seen (including my bike), a failed fuel pressure/flow test was due to a clogged filter. This is Honda-specific part: you cannot adapt anything else on the market.

Finally, it's possible your fuel pressure regulator is toast: very very common issue as bikes age but there's no sure fire way to check it.
You may try disconnecting the vacuum line from it and see if fuel drips from there, but I've personally seen bikes with a failed FPR which didn't drip fuel.

Shame on me, my heart is black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode