Waterless Coolant - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Waterless Coolant

I just made the switch from a water based coolant to a waterless coolant in my RC51 and CBR1000RR. Last spring I upgraded my RC51 cooling system with Turn One radiator shrouds, Samco silicine rubber hoses and Spal pusher fans. I also switched to Engine Ice coolant. I had done some research on the internet and found that Engine Ice was propylene glycol based as opposed to conventional anti freeze which is ethylene glycol based. I found that propylene glycol is non-toxic which I liked. The Engine Ice ran about the same as the original coolant did temperature wise.

I ran across a company called Evans Cooling Systems that was promoting a propylene glycol based waterless coolant and they had a product called Evans Powersports Coolant which is compatable with smaller engines. Their NPG product is for larger truck engines. I also found that Jay Leno has been using the Evans products in his collection for years, so this Spring I have converted my bikes over.

The primary benefits of the waterless coolant is that it protects down to 40 degrees below zero F and boils at 375 degress F and therefore is a superior medium as a coolant. Additionally, having no water in it, it is a lifetime coolant because it will not corrode the cooling system and it doesn't break down. Also, having no water in it, it doesn't pressurize the cooling system and is much easier on the hoses. I'm told you can remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot, but I've not been brave enough to try that one.

With the boiling point of the coolant being much higher than any local hot spot that will occur in an engine, there will be no local flashing to steam that can occur with even pressurized water based coolants. Another problem that is eliminated is cavitation at the water pump. As a coolant near it's boiling point is run through the water pump, a pressure drop can occur that can cause water based coolants to flash to steam, resulting in the the pump cavitating and loosing efficiency.

Remembering my Thermodynamics, cooling depends on the efficiency of the cooling medium, not the speed at which the coolant is being run through the system. For heat transfer to occur, there must be contact to promote it and since any local boiling is eliminated, no matter how hard the engine is working. If an engine is run hard enough to get the cooling system to 375 degrees, there will be a lot of other things that will go wrong with it before the cooling system fails.

I haven't had a chance to put many miles on either bike yet, but so far there have been no problems. The temperature runs about the same and it starts to drop back as soon as the fans kick on in heavy traffic.

I'll post some more information when I've had a chance to put some distances on the bikes.

'12 KTM RC8R

'11 CBR1000RR Repsol

'02 RC51

'80 CBX

'65 CB77 Vintage Road Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 PM
And Stateside again...

I'm making this switch as well. My only Gripe is cost. and on a bike like the RC51 where some work requires Rad removal it may become cost prohibitive to keep draining it out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 AM

My concern with this product was o-rings and seals in the 51? Will it keep the water side seal in the water pump lubricated?

Fast bike slow rider

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Regarding lubricating the water pump seal, I posed this question to Evans before I made the switch and they assured me it would. Regarding the cost, I paid about the same for the Evans coolant I had been paying for Engine Ice. About $22 a half gallon. Not having to ever replace the coolant should be worth something as well.

I didn't find that tit was that bad to pull the cooling system down on the RC51. It was more involved to take the CBR cooling system apart. If you don't want to go to all that trouble, Evans sells a prep fluid that you can run through the system to get all the water out and eliminate any disassembly.

'12 KTM RC8R

'11 CBR1000RR Repsol

'02 RC51

'80 CBX

'65 CB77 Vintage Road Racer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
FWIW: I've been running the Evans now for min. of 6 or 7 years and have had ZERO Problems!

Temps. are approx. same,... however FEI: The advertisement about No Pressure in the cooling system (Which is the MAIN Reason why I bought it) Is Complete BS.
Just because there is NO water in this Product does NOT eliminate High Pressure in the cooling system.

Again, I bought this because of thinking there'd be no pressure in the system.... Great for all the Hose Clamp Connections and as you all know, We've got a Crap Load of connections on our RC\SPs... Anyway, Things that get HOT, what do they do,..(Directed at Me>> DUHHHH)>>> Well ofcourse they Expand weather there's water in it or not.<<><DUH Jeff LOL

Now, knowing what I know now verses then, would I still buy it? Yes I would, even for all the other bennifits it's worth it to Me...

So those looking to do this\make a switch, unless you've got a fresh rebuild meaning NO coolant in the system... Then you can just get the (1) product you want... IF You are like me, who ran a water base coolant, there is a Prep. You Should buy first, You ride around with it for 3 days or 4 days or something, which is supposed to help get rid of All the Water and Water base Coolant.

Peace Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode