Dyno with 1/2 Exhaust?! - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Dyno with 1/2 Exhaust?!

Hey everybody. Long time listener, first time caller here...

I finally got the '04 Hayden RC51 of my dreams last fall and have spent the winter doing a few things I had always wanted to do... Included on the to-do (done) list is a Ladybird GP exhaust (Simon - wow!), flapper-valve and PAIR removal. I installed a PCV and am in need of a dyno tune to get it running right.

I went to the dealer a few weeks ago and waited for them to make half a dozen pulls on the thing before telling me that their dyno wasn't providing HP or A/F data. They installed a map from the Dynojet site for an exhaust the guy claimed was "similar." The bike runs worse/weaker than it did before I went.

I got a call back from the dealer today stating that they had remedied the problem with their dyno and want me to come back in to get the bike sorted out. I asked a few questions and the guy told me:

"We just have to find a way to block off one of mufflers so we can get a solid A/F reading from the other one."

If they remap the PCV to ideal values with one of the mufflers blocked off, won't it just be too lean again once unblocked? My mechanical know-how isn't 100%, but this doesn't make sense to me...

Any advice/clarification you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully this isn't a redundant question; I did try the mystical "search" button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Gold Sponsor

Don't walk, run, from this dealer. They put it on their dyno which wasn't working then tell you to come back after loading a map that made your bike worse off. Now they want to plug a muffler??? What do the do when they have to dyno a ducati or even worse yet an MV Agusta......RUUUUUUUUUN.

If you paid them already and they are doing the redo for free then tell them to sniff the right pipe and that will provide a solid A/F. But seriously, i'd look for a more competent dyno operator and call it a learning experience by the first one if they wont refund the money.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 AM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
WTF kinda sh!t is that? that's worth telling everybody you can to NOT go there.
post up where you are and I'm sure somebody can get you in touch with a good tuner near you, or sort of near you. and just so you know, our little piggies are thirsty thirsty birds. they like fuel and lot of it. much fatter than most tuners think.

top two to get tuned by. JD Hord and Kyle USA. it's worth a google

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
For the cost of a custom map you could get the bungs welded in and an auto tuner.

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
For the cost of a custom map you could get the bungs welded in and an auto tuner.

+1 with Tom
FYI: IF I had a Power Commander V,(which you have) the above suggestion IS 100% the way I would go!

FWIW: I saw an Auto Tuner FOR Sale last week in our For Sale section..

Good luck and let us know what You do and how You make out Okay...?

Peace Jeff
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

I had read somewhere that an Auto Tune map couldn't compete against a competent dyno technician working his magic... I guess "competent" is the operative word there.

The apparently less-than-competent shop I went to was the Honda Marysville Motorsports outside of Columbus, Ohio.

I don't plan on messing with the bike any more that would require future dyno-tunes, so if the costs are similar and this should be a one-time expense, would everyone still recommend the Auto Tune? It could be a handy excuse to get some new high-mount mids from Simon...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
Hey man, can you explain a little? I'm fighting with a tune for my bike at the moment. I'd like to know more about the auto tune.... And bungs?

Burnin' gas + Haulin' @$$!
'01 RC51 waiting on parts to be a mean machine
'03 RC51 used and abused but still my baby
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabryusmc View Post
Hey man, can you explain a little? I'm fighting with a tune for my bike at the moment. I'd like to know more about the auto tune.... And bungs?
Welding bungs (in the right spot) on each pipe is the best way to tune a bike because the o2 sensors are not in the way like sniffers.

The auto tune is real time mapping and I do-not know the specifics other than that because my custom map is spot-on and it was made 8 or 9 years back...

"03 RC"
and a new litter

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a competent welder in the central Ohio area that would be able to weld on some O2 sensor bungs to Simon's beautiful Ladybird exhaust?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhdmd View Post
Can anyone recommend a competent welder in the central Ohio area that would be able to weld on some O2 sensor bungs to Simon's beautiful Ladybird exhaust?
They actually weld them to the header pipes.

"03 RC"
and a new litter

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Call -
HPR - Hordpower
1285 Wyandot Rd.
Bucyrus, OH 44820

(419)563-0348
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 PM
LDH

Send a message via AIM to LDH Send a message via MSN to LDH Send a message via Yahoo to LDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhdmd View Post
Thanks for the replies, everybody.

I had read somewhere that an Auto Tune map couldn't compete against a competent dyno technician working his magic... I guess "competent" is the operative word there.

The apparently less-than-competent shop I went to was the Honda Marysville Motorsports outside of Columbus, Ohio.

I don't plan on messing with the bike any more that would require future dyno-tunes, so if the costs are similar and this should be a one-time expense, would everyone still recommend the Auto Tune? It could be a handy excuse to get some new high-mount mids from Simon...

1. Good on you for outting the dyno tuner so everyone can know not to go there!

2. The AutoTune works exceptionally well and just as good as any Dyno created tune and I did back to back testing creating my own maps to prove it. It is a tool though and like any tool it can be used incorrectly

PCV AUTOTUNE TEST
ROGUE RACING CBR1000RR PC-V Page

3. You will need 2 bungs available for the AT-300 used on the RC51 PCV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode