SP2 Slipper install - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

SP2 Slipper install

Hi All,

Anyone know of a reputable place to have my slipper clutch installed on my SP2 in the SF bay area?

Thanks,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 12:37 AM

Yea your garage. No one cares about your bike more than you do and no one will take more time and care than yourself. Installing a clutch isn't hard. Just take the cover off. Swap the friction plates and springs in and throw a new cover gasket on and your good

Just take not of how each plate and spacer go and in which order.

2004 Hayden SP2: Ohlins Shock, Racetek Fork Internals, OZ Piega Rims, Magura Radial MC, Radial Brake Brackets, Brembo Monoblocks, Brembo Underslung Rear Brake, GPR High Mounts, Woodcraft Rearsets, PC3 USB, Dynojet Quikshifter, Hotbodies Undertail, 520 Chain, SS Lines, Pinch Bolt Res Mount, Keyless Gas Cap & Ignition, Flapper Valve & Soft Rev Eliminated, Rizoma Bar End Mirror.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Actually if you do-not have the appropriate and accurate torque wrenches and a way to hold the clutch you will have issues. The jtr has left and right hand studs so if you over torque the bolts you will loosen the stud.

https://www.speedzilla.com/forums/sea...archid=1767130

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"03 RC"
and a new litter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I should REALLY wear a condum

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

wingnut, I read the same. BTW your link doesn't work.

I reached out to a few shops and none have gotten back to me.

--
Sam
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
HEY saamae you got a new buddy c'mon who's your pal

Some Installation Notes

Buying tools is maybe less $$$ than bringing it to a shop.

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to RC51Stunna
Those are great instructions and getting new tools is always good.

But if you really don't trust yourself with it call Dan Kyle and maybe Mike (LDH) will do it for you up there.

Stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
HEY saamae you got a new buddy c'mon who's your pal

Some Installation Notes

Buying tools is maybe less $$$ than bringing it to a shop.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Stunna, I actually reached out to Dan and his team. His response was that "he doesnt have time to do the job". This was really strange because he's always been super helpful each time I've worked with him.

--
Sam

Last edited by sammae01; 06-09-2014 at 07:54 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to RC51Stunna
Shoot LDH a PM here, he may be able to shed some light on why they couldn't/wouldn't take on the job and possibly recommend another shop that could/would do it for you. Whatever he says though I can imagine it will probably come with a strong recommendation to do it yourself.

Stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammae01 View Post
Stunna, I actually reached out to Dan and his team. His response was that "he doesnt have time to do the job". This was really strange because he's always been super helpful each time I've worked with him.

--
Sam

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:53 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51Stunna View Post
Shoot LDH a PM here, he may be able to shed some light on why they couldn't/wouldn't take on the job and possibly recommend another shop that could/would do it for you. Whatever he says though I can imagine it will probably come with a strong recommendation to do it yourself.

Stunna

YEP! About him telling you to do it yourself...

Hey Stun-Gun,.... I'm just guessing here but they said "No" for 1 of 2 reasons or BOTH...

#1) OLD, alot of shops will not even look at some MCs once they hit (X) amount of years old...?

#2) Too Easy-NO Money in it maybe....?
Now IF he had bought the Slipper from them, then that's a horse of a different color eh...

To the OP... It really is NOT hard, get ahold of a shop manual and DIG In man, FWIW: YOU WILL be Glad You did it yourself!
Plus, gives you the chance to see what's UP with how it all goes together, so IF you have to make an adjustment for MORE or LESS slippage, You know what to Do... Just make Sure YOU Write Down in a log book the changes and you'll know what to do for adj., just my 2 cents...
Just remembered, you can also shoot video with your camera phone or whatever recording device you may have, just in case you are concerned you might forget something.

Peace Jeff
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Looks like I will have to install myself using the instructions Stunna posted. I'm just surprised that none of the bay area shop got back to me to about install.

Few question before I tackle (maybe I should search?)

What is the special tool needed
Should I do any other maintenance while doing the clutch?
What should I feel for once the clutch is installed ( what good, what's bad and how should the slipper feel?)
Is there a break-in period?

Thanks for the help guys.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammae01 View Post
Anyone?

Sammae, NOT trying to be a dick here but, Just $h!t in the pot or get OFF....

Get a service manual and have at it... IF You don't know anything to what >YOU Should Want to Feel or Not want to Feel while you are on the thing< Me as to why you bought it....

I don't have one, nor do I want one BUT IF I did, I would just go and install the friggin' thing and try it out, IF I didn't like it, to what it was or was not doing for Me, I would make the needed adjustment and roll her out again.... Some people want alot of slippage on the brakes while others don't..... You a 2 stroke rider? You will most likely want More slippage then the guy that isn't...

Do NOT make a Mountain out of a Mole Hill! My 2 cents

JUST DO IT

Peace Jeff
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM

in regards to what you should "feel"....

absolutely nothing. if its working right you wont even notice it at all. it doesnt make any noise or any sudden actions. youll be left wondering if its working at all. but i too am starting to wonder why you bought it... not to be a jerk or anything. i want one for my VTR eventually but its really only a luxury to drop a few tenths of a lap. its not gonna do much on the street. and if you dont really know what its gonna do then why did you shell out the cash?

essentially it will allow you to bang an extra downshift or 2 coming into a corner and not get wheel hop, giving you less engine braking allowing you to hold more corner speed and keep things smooth. it just stops the back wheel from driving the engine on downshifts. but its really only a track weapon and isnt one of the best mods when taking into account performance gained per dollar spent. i woulda put that cash towards a set of forged mag wheels.

the nice thing about a big twin with lots of engine braking is it really teaches you to be smooth on the throttle mid corner. I-4's can be a bit more twitchy on the gas mid corner and get away with it. with a big twin, that can spell certain doom so you get really good at being smoooooooth. slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

either way just tear into your bike and figure it out. it all seems very complicated until you open things up and its not so taboo. you save cash and learn a lot about the workings of your engine. very valuable skills which can help diagnose future problems should they arise.

2004 Hayden SP2: Ohlins Shock, Racetek Fork Internals, OZ Piega Rims, Magura Radial MC, Radial Brake Brackets, Brembo Monoblocks, Brembo Underslung Rear Brake, GPR High Mounts, Woodcraft Rearsets, PC3 USB, Dynojet Quikshifter, Hotbodies Undertail, 520 Chain, SS Lines, Pinch Bolt Res Mount, Keyless Gas Cap & Ignition, Flapper Valve & Soft Rev Eliminated, Rizoma Bar End Mirror.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode