Been Laid Up - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Been Laid Up

I've been laid up for the last seven weeks. I hit some black ice on a city street, the 14th of December and got body slammed by my RC51. I got beat up pretty bad, broken pelvis and ribs, but the RC sustained very little damage.

I had the whole left side of my pelvis, including the hip socket broken off as well as a couple of ribs broken just below my left shoulder blade. I now have 28 screws and 3 plates holding my pelvis back together. I spent six days in the hospital and a week in rehab. I've been on crutches since rehab and came back to work three weeks ago. I'm healing fine and should find out when I can get off the crutches next week. I forgot to mention, I'm 71 years old.

The RC had the clutch lever and left foot peg broken. The shift lever was bent and the left swingarm spool was broken off as well. The left muffler was mildly scraped and the fairing was cracked by the crash bung when the thru stud was bent. All in all, I'll spend less than $200 to repair everything. The mufflers will interchange from side to side and since they are high-mounts, the damage will be hidden.

I've included a picture of the bike and my injury. Hope you're not squimish.
Attached Images

'12 KTM RC8R

'11 CBR1000RR Repsol

'02 RC51

'80 CBX

'65 CB77 Vintage Road Racer

Last edited by mr305; 01-31-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM

Cheese and rice bro! that sucks, glad to hear you're doing better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery young fella!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Sorry to Hear You got so Badly Injured brother RC51er.

You have alot of damage to yourself, did you hit anything other then the ground, guard Rail, Car\Truck?
Granted, you did say you are 71 years Young, so we all know this makes us alittle more brittle.= SUCKS out Loud!

Looks like Simons exhaust on your 51 eh...

Strang bit on info. I Personel have found out... over my life time of riding MCs, When I have crashed or have been taken out by a DWI guy approx. 12-14 years back....
anyhow, what I have found out is, IF I was Hurt BAD my MC wasn't too bad and the other way around, IF I wasn't hurt too bad, my MC was Torn UP!

Anyway Mr305, I Pray YOU Have a Speedy & FULL Recovery, especially consider your operations you have had!

God Bless,

Peace Jeff

PS. Notice, Your Body is Beat and your RC51 doesn't look bad at all... Interesting isn't it.... especially consider My above comments?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM

That's a bummer Mr305, at least you'll come out ok. It probably doesn't matter much since your exhaust system is customized, but most good exhaust cans are made for the left or right side. The right header (rear) flows more air, and gets hotter. Good luck and heal up quick.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 PM

+1

Heal up quickly, and fully

Thanks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Underpaid Slave

Give me a call again anytime.

That guy is one tough ole bull and on his way to a speedy recovery. I got the chance to speak with him on the phone, he is one kind hearted guy and super knowledgeable.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 AM

Glad you are OK and the bike damage was minimal. The wife says you are officially a badass and you have her respect. Mine too. Hope you heal up fast.

06 RC51
93 VFR750
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:20 PM

WoW Mr 305! You take breaking a hip to a whole new level.
Unbelievable!
My hat's off to your ,sir.
Surviving such a wicked crash with your good attitude and willingness to fix the bike before you're even done healing yourself - says a lot about you!
Best wishes for a proper recovery. Keep the pins and screws when they eventually come out, and figure out a mod to put them on the RC51.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Back in the saddle again!

Well, it's been 5 1/2 months since I had my accident and I'm finally back to riding the bike again. I finished up the repairs on the RC51 a couple of weeks ago and last Saturday I was finally flexible enought to safely ride. I put about 30 miles on it that day and have ridden to work and back this week.

I'd like to thank the members of the forum for their support and best wishes. Is this a great forum or what?

Here's a couple of shots of the repaired bike. Somonkobe, I couldn't have done it without your help.
Attached Images

'12 KTM RC8R

'11 CBR1000RR Repsol

'02 RC51

'80 CBX

'65 CB77 Vintage Road Racer
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Glad to hear your feeling better. The bike looks great!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Is it me or is the best riding after shes been sitting a while.
Glad you're both all better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 AM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Great to See You are UP and about and got her back together and out riding!

Awesome Mang.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 PM

Bike looks great . You should crash it more often ! You're 71 and riding an RC51 , so I will officially stop complaining and calling it the Torture Rack . Hats off , brother .

THE LEGEND
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 AM

Ouch!!!

Hope you are doing well Prayers up for you brother. Keep riding

2005 RC51 Sato pipes, rear sets & Exhaust hangers,Penske Rear shock, Turn One air box & Snorkle, MR hugger, dash & front fender, Hotbodies undertail, proton flushmounts, carbon V cowl, Galfer lines, Scotts Filter, Heli Bars, PWR com III, Custom HID projector lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode