Help in the Hampton Roads Area (Replacing Fork Seals ) - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Help in the Hampton Roads Area (Replacing Fork Seals )

Anyone in the Hampton Roads Area knows how to replace the Fork Seals

I came home after a ride yesterday..and noticed that the bottom of the right fork was wet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-RC51 View Post
Anyone in the Hampton Roads Area knows how to replace the Fork Seals

I came home after a ride yesterday..and noticed that the bottom of the right fork was wet
If you pay my ticket i'm your man !!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuurio View Post
If you pay my ticket i'm your man !!
you pay your own ticket ..And I provide food and a place to stay for your Vacation..and from here you can travel around.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:36 AM

Here's a link to the service manual if you don't have it already:
http://www.rc51.info/RC-51/namshub/00-02-RC51-Svc.pdf

It's pretty easy to do. I've not done them on the RC before, only MX bikes, but I took a look at the manual (section 13) and it looks very similar (and maybe simpler). Just make sure to try to find the cause of the leak. For instance, if there is a nick on the lower tube, knock down the high spot with a fine wet stone or emery board/cloth.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adynes View Post
Here's a link to the service manual if you don't have it already:
http://www.rc51.info/RC-51/namshub/00-02-RC51-Svc.pdf

It's pretty easy to do. I've not done them on the RC before, only MX bikes, but I took a look at the manual (section 13) and it looks very similar (and maybe simpler). Just make sure to try to find the cause of the leak. For instance, if there is a nick on the lower tube, knock down the high spot with a fine wet stone or emery board/cloth.
Be aware that this service manual (and also the UK version) only shows the disassembly of the SP1 forks.
The SP2 forks use a fork cap and preload adjuster of a different design than the SP1.
If you follow the SP1 instructions on SP2 forks, you may seriously damage the rebound adjuster rod (which you can't order separately).

The 2004 CBR1000RR and 954 both have forks that use the same fork cap and preload adjuster design as the SP2.
Download the service manual for either of these bikes and refer to the section dealing with fork cap removal and disassembly for use with the SP2.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Be aware that this service manual (and also the UK version) only shows the disassembly of the SP1 forks.
The SP2 forks use a fork cap and preload adjuster of a different design than the SP1.
If you follow the SP1 instructions on SP2 forks, you may seriously damage the rebound adjuster rod (which you can't order separately).

The 2004 CBR1000RR and 954 both have forks that use the same fork cap and preload adjuster design as the SP2.
Download the service manual for either of these bikes and refer to the section dealing with fork cap removal and disassembly for use with the SP2.
More info on that here, on page 11 I posted some of the pages from the 1000rr manual:
https://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc5...-has-done.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I contacted yesterday the Honda Dealer ..and they quoted me 200 dollars including the seals.....I Let him do it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 AM
And Stateside again...

Considering sending them to Dan Kyle and have him spring them for you r weight and have him shim the valves for your riding style. it won't cost a ton more and the bike will feel way better.

I had a local race shop do my front end and other than using junk aftermarket seals(that popped withing the first 500 miles) the front end feels great. but for what i paid him i could(should) have had Dan Kyle do it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
Considering sending them to Dan Kyle and have him spring them for you r weight and have him shim the valves for your riding style. it won't cost a ton more and the bike will feel way better.

I had a local race shop do my front end and other than using junk aftermarket seals(that popped withing the first 500 miles) the front end feels great. but for what i paid him i could(should) have had Dan Kyle do it.
I can send them to Dan Kyle. ...but who will remove my forks and put them back in
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post

very useful post, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM
And Stateside again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-RC51 View Post
I can send them to Dan Kyle. ...but who will remove my forks and put them back in
You? it is very simple. and you have all winter to figure it out. I can have mine off in about 15 minutes after riding it into the garage. Borrow a triple tree front stand if you don't have one(from someone local or buy one) then take them off.

Taking them off your self will make you feel like you know your bike that much better.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Quote:

I think you might start listening next time...

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
very useful post, thanks!
You mean you didn't know this? The guy who said he has forgotten more about the RC51 than I will ever know?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM
And Stateside again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
I think you might start listening next time...
Maybe....

By the way. My RC is gonna need a re-tune when I get home. and Ducati Minneapolis is getting my Business. The date is yet to be determined but I will let you know when it is going down.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe....

By the way. My RC is gonna need a re-tune when I get home. and Ducati Minneapolis is getting my Business. The date is yet to be determined but I will let you know when it is going down.
When you're there you can swap out(maybe with a little payment from your side) your rc for the 1199....
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You? it is very simple. and you have all winter to figure it out.
I'm riding bikes also in the Winter.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuurio View Post
When you're there you can swap out(maybe with a little payment from your side) your rc for the 1199....
Actually these guys are very cool and will let certain people ride their sportbikes, the demo days are a hoot a sweet little route in/out of the city
Here's Drew and jetfxr discussing tuning with Doug

And the receptionist is super freindly !!!
Attached Images

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 PM
And Stateside again...

Does she offer rides?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Member (Large)

Quote:
Does she offer rides?
Just don't try the motorboat with your helmet on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode