Cleaning titanium pipes - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Denmark

Cleaning titanium pipes

Just removed my Akrapovic full system wanting to give it a good cleaning.
Its pretty stained and brownish.
What can you guys recommend to get it back to its brushed silver look? Dont want a mirror finish.
I realize it will brown and blue again, but hoping it will be more even and better looking when starting from scratch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:24 PM

I've used some belgom metal polish and 3M scotch brite (brown) also on a "mushroom" drill pad.... comes out like new...NOT FOR THE MUFFLERS ONLY THE STAINLESS HEADERS
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Denmark

I was thinking about using scotchbrite, will give it a try.
No worries about the canisters, they are carbon. What about the Ti parts of the system then, no finish that will be ruined?

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKHanberg View Post
I was thinking about using scotchbrite, will give it a try.
No worries about the canisters, they are carbon. What about the Ti parts of the system then, no finish that will be ruined?
very fine scotchbrite or 800 grit sandpaper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 PM

The blue and yellow colours of titanium are a coating treatment , they're not as a result of exhaust heat as most people think.
This means if you scratch or polish the coating off, it's permanent.

When I took my Akropovic / HRC exhaust off, I washed it with engine cleaner only. It came out nice & clean.

You might find your carbon muffler sleeves are soft & brittle & need replacing.
If so Harris Performance in UK sell replacements with packing kits. I replaced mine with titanium sleeves so they're never going to get brittle again.

post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Denmark

Nice looking system there.
I was pretty sure it was caused by the heat, as its mostly in some of the bends, and it varies alot. But was unsure if they had a coating that could be ruined.
Still a little unsure now.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newera View Post
they're not as a result of exhaust heat as most people think.
This means if you scratch or polish the coating off, it's permanent.

this simply is not factual

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
this simply is not factual
Yep. Scrubbing titanium with something abrasive too much can remove the color, but it will return with heat.
Titanium Information
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 AM

best stuff i can recommend for Ti without going through an actual polishing procedure is the red Wenol, the blue stuff works ok, but red is better.

don't put an 800 grit paper/wheel/pad or anything on that, it will look like ass and you'll end up having to do a full polish on it afterwords.

- and a side note, sometimes the tinting can go completely through so you may still see traces of it no matter what.

03 RC51 - 135whp via lots of stickers and a few parts. tuned by hord
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 AM

Has anyone ever used never-dull?

Fast bike slow rider
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 AM

just get some wenol.. i done this for about 5 years and the first 2 years were wasted thinking i was going to discover something new the older guys didn't know about.

post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 AM

In the Navy we used Never-dull on everything metal. It worked every time.

Fast bike slow rider
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:40 AM

it won't do what he wants to do, not sure if neverdull would even completely clean ti

here's a ti exhaust hanger that i done with a black compound and sewn wheel and then wenol was used to clean the part and finish it off to look nearly like chrome.

the way i did that only took about 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by selfinfliction; 11-22-2011 at 02:51 AM.
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
Yep. Scrubbing titanium with something abrasive too much can remove the color, but it will return with heat.
Titanium Information
"Will return with heat"... How hot does an exhaust system get?
A: Definitely not anywhere near 1668 Deg C where titanium will begin to melt and a tad lower where it will begin to oxidise.

Take a look at my titanium sleeves. Can you see any change of colour on those from about 20,000km of riding?
To get it to colour, I'd have to use electrolysis to create a layer of oxidation without melting the surface. Exhaust heat alone won't do it.

So what's "simply not factual" mrgrn?
- Do you sell Titanium exhausts that change colour with exhaust heat (& I don't mean silencers that melt, crack and disintegrate with heat )?

post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
A: Definitely not anywhere near 1668 Deg C where titanium will begin to melt and a tad lower where it will begin to oxidise.

Take a look at my titanium sleeves. Can you see any change of colour on those from about 20,000km of riding?
To get it to colour, I'd have to use electrolysis to create a layer of oxidation without melting the surface. Exhaust heat alone won't do it.

- Do you sell Titanium exhausts that change colour with exhaust heat (& I don't mean silencers that melt, crack and disintegrate with heat )?
Oh wow that was ... dude come on... eeeeeh awesome?

post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Currently: Moderating

Quote:
You're funny! I like your style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
why don'y you do yourself a favor and put me on ignore

post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM

i won't take up for mark by any means, but the melting point of titanium has nothing to do with bluing.

air holes in the welds will cause it faster than anything, the thinner it is the faster it tints, running lean will do it and egt's of a bike of the track are astronomical. they can hit 1200f+ and stay there easily. most of the bluing happens where the flow is disrupted like in a reducer, in a bend or a connection where the airflow is not smooth.

as said, i won't knock on his products as everyone here already knows... but even a good quality piece will blue easily.

post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfinfliction View Post
i won't take up for mark by any means, but the melting point of titanium has nothing to do with bluing.

air holes in the welds will cause it faster than anything, the thinner it is the faster it tints, running lean will do it and egt's of a bike of the track are astronomical. they can hit 1200f+ and stay there easily. most of the bluing happens where the flow is disrupted like in a reducer, in a bend or a connection where the airflow is not smooth.

as said, i won't knock on his products as everyone here already knows... but even a good quality piece will blue easily.
Er... So how come parts of my exhaust are blue and others have no discolouration then?

What are you saying - parts of the exhaust piping nearer the silencers (Which have curves (See picture) are hotter than sections next to the exhaust ports which which aren't discoloured?

I did polish off some burnt plastic on part of my exhaust and guess what.... It didn't turn blue again.

And I'm still waiting for my exhaust tips to turn blue, just like on the end of my car's silencer... but no matter how much I let it idle at around 14.3 (lean enough for ya?): 1 A/F, the darned tips never turn blue!

I guess Akrapovic must've made fake titanium pipes for HRC, the crafty buggers!

post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 PM
I am my Evil Twin

My Sato banzai mid pipes blue like crazy. im sure it needs a retune. but that was also because it had header wrap since 8k miles. I left a can of soda unsecured in the trunk and it began to leak soda on the cans and mid pipes, burnt carbon everywhere. vibro media worked llike a charm. fresh raw titanium. some dark spots here and there from the exhaust heat, but the bluing is back same as before. "Anodizing" titanium is a art from what i have experienced. the colors are from different temps and the difference isnt too far off.
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM

Garage
Quote:

That's fine, although I've had two exhaust systems that have blued noticeably with time, including the sato mids I have now. I had a full system on my GSX-R750 that also had a considerable change over time, I never cleaned it enough to remove the color though. From what I've read it's common for the satos to change in color with heat, especially the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode