Has anyone here been caught with a slick in the wet? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Has anyone here been caught with a slick in the wet?

Have a friend that's just going to give me a set of tires since he's sold his race bike. I'm very likely going to run them or at least the rear. If I get caught in the rain anywhere by chance, will I be able to limp the thing home without slipping all over the place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
Have a friend that's just going to give me a set of tires since he's sold his race bike. I'm very likely going to run them or at least the rear. If I get caught in the rain anywhere by chance, will I be able to limp the thing home without slipping all over the place?
you will almost cetainly crash and it is highly illegal but other then that you will be fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm aware of the legality. Although, I'm not sure what makes it "highly illegal". It's a felony? lol. I ran race tires on my sumo with good luck, but was never in the rain. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that no, you've never been in the rain on a slick. Which would lead to me asking why you responded in the first place.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
I'm aware of the legality. Although, I'm not sure what makes it "highly illegal". It's a felony? lol. I ran race tires on my sumo with good luck, but was never in the rain. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that no, you've never been in the rain on a slick. Which would lead to me asking why you responded in the first place.
slicks are not DOT and although it is not a felony i would assume you could get fined a bunch of dough and depending on the LEO your judgements could be questioned knowing how dangerous it is. you are possibly going to slide down and cause another person a accident and or recklessly endanger others lives so i would say more then a ticket is plausable

WHile i have never been stoopid enough to ride slicks on the street in the rain i felt compelled to try to help you as your question makes little to no responsible sense and i am doubting there are many here who have done this and or would admit they did publically so

take it to the track and trailer it back it is not worth the consequences

a thank you would have sufficed

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for your $.00000000001, I'm looking for folks with experience in this. This tire will be for the track, but I'll be using it on the street as well. Probably won't be using it at all until next season. As for your comments about sliding out, etc, I don't plan on riding the bike if weather is questionable. In dry weather I will have more than enough grip. If I did have the bad luck of being caught in the rain, I'd then ride it much slower home. I'm currently running the DOT Ntec and I'm just not certain a slick is going to be massively different in rain at slow speeds. If it will be, maybe I'll notch it.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for your $.00000000001, I'm looking for folks with experience in this. This tire will be for the track, but I'll be using it on the street as well. Probably won't be using it at all until next season.

you are not going to get people who have ridden in the rain with slicks answers.

they either crashed or they did not do it for the reasons i mentioned

i have been around sportbikes for a very long time and would have run into posts a few times and every one was don't do it and i crashed but have at it maybe you will get the eanswer you are looking for

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage

To everyone else - I swear I'm not an asshole, I just don't like the poster above.

Last edited by AKDMA; 11-13-2011 at 05:43 PM.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:

To everyone else - I swear I'm a asshole, I just post dumb questions and i hate on the poster above for no real reason.
good stuff man

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:27 PM

Got caught at Barber on slicks in the rain. Wasn`t a complete down pour, but completely wet. Was tricky but made it to the end of the race. Same goes for rain riding on street, and track. Be smooth, and you should make it home just fine.

One thing to keep in mind is depending on the tire compound and make, slicks usually need heat in them to stick good. Without heat in the tire, it`ll spin up, and cold tear. Hard compounds will need more heat than softer compounds. Had a set Michelin slicks up at Deals Gap once, and it took about half the way though before the tires started working well because it was kinda cool that day. Hope this helps!

2005 RC51 Sato high pipes, Rearsets and reverse shift kit,GMD Computrack forks and shock setup, Elka rear shock, Front Mount Rads & Oil Cooler, PCIIIUSB,Dynojet Quickshifter, soft rev., pair & flapper mod, SBS Dual Carbon pads , Carboline lines, Sharkskinz, Tyga carbon fender and hugger, Scotts damper, 520 Conv.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks man. It's a medium rear. I'd prefer a soft for street riding, but I might just drop the pressure a hair to get em a bit hotter. I really appreciate the input.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Jenias Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-town RC View Post
Got caught at Barber on slicks in the rain. Wasn`t a complete down pour, but completely wet. Was tricky but made it to the end of the race. Same goes for rain riding on street, and track. Be smooth, and you should make it home just fine.

One thing to keep in mind is depending on the tire compound and make, slicks usually need heat in them to stick good. Without heat in the tire, it`ll spin up, and cold tear. Hard compounds will need more heat than softer compounds. Had a set Michelin slicks up at Deals Gap once, and it took about half the way though before the tires started working well because it was kinda cool that day. Hope this helps!
That pretty much says it. Once its wet you might as well be riding on ice. Ive had enough wet time on track to know I dont like it. When I say wet I mean the ground has water on it. Not a few drops. Once you start leaning it can go wrong really fast. Even with full rains on it can go wrong quickly but at least you can still drag a knee if youre smooth.

Another problem you might run into is tire life. The odds that you will get them to proper operating temp on the street is pretty low. Tires that like heat dont normally respond well when cold and tear apart. Youll probably end up replacing it fairly quickly.

James
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM

not worth using slicks on the street , you will never get them hot enough to work right .
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 PM
And Stateside again...

A lot of people run race take-offs on the street. I have in the past and i will again. they don't last long and can be fun to spin up in the dry. and as long as you are cautious you can ride in the rain with no real issues. I do it and will continue to do it.

and yea some LEO's will say something about it but I have never been ticketd for it. and I have been pulled over with them on there plenty of times.

I will however not run a race take off on the front. rear end slides are a little easier to control with throttle. if the front end is sliding your shit out of luck unless you get a streak of amazing luck and save it.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrc51 View Post
not worth using slicks on the street , you will never get them hot enough to work right .
It's the same compound as the ntec I use now, just without the tread. I really like this tire on the street, I ride twisties only though.
Attached Images

Last edited by AKDMA; 11-13-2011 at 08:19 PM.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
A lot of people run race take-offs on the street. I have in the past and i will again. they don't last long and can be fun to spin up in the dry. and as long as you are cautious you can ride in the rain with no real issues. I do it and will continue to do it.

and yea some LEO's will say something about it but I have never been ticketd for it. and I have been pulled over with them on there plenty of times.

I will however not run a race take off on the front. rear end slides are a little easier to control with throttle. if the front end is sliding your shit out of luck unless you get a streak of amazing luck and save it.
A lot of times if you can overcome pucker factor and get on the gas you can save yourself from a front end slide. Our natural instincts are to shave speed, so it's kinda hard to ignore "survival reactions" as keith code calls it. I'd be real cautious about using a worn front tire for sure though! I appreciate all the input guys, again, this board is awesome. Glad to be a member here.
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
A lot of times if you can overcome pucker factor and get on the gas you can save yourself from a front end slide. .

just bustin your chops here

so let me get this straight. you have the skills and ability to save the front end of your bike yet you are wondering about slicks on the street in the rain

does not sound like it will be a issue for you then

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've never run anything other than DOT legal tires on full sized sportbikes. Just didn't want to be surprised if it felt like I was riding on glass.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
I've never run anything other than DOT legal tires on full sized sportbikes. Just didn't want to be surprised if it felt like I was riding on glass.

i hear you for sure you are a brave rider for sure( or maybe crazy)

I had cold tires once when i first got my 51 and after the front sprocket change i had to feather the clutch in second as the road was greasy with oil and wet and in first it just spun

best to be safe i was just trying to steer you in a safe responsible manner so i will sleep OK tonight the rest is on you

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM

everyone here rides with slicks and worn out tires in the rain, with no tread on the tire, the bike doesn't have to work hard to channel the water out of the way and that greatly increases your mileage.

03 RC51 - 135whp via lots of stickers and a few parts. tuned by hord
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 AM

You know akilld- running a race tire on the street- FOR WHAT?? the track tire does hold heat , like a street tire.. so stop and go is out.. you run the track tire lower on tire pressure.. and then the fore mentioned issuses..
Besides that with proper riding skills. you as a novice rider are going to probably have better effect, and feel of the road - on D.O.T. tires...

To answer the original question, Guess that is why -there is RAIN RACE SLICKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode