Has anyone here been caught with a slick in the wet? - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If you feel like giving me some good DOT tires, no problem. Pilot Powers get greasy after 30-40min of hard riding compared to race tires. I've always had great luck with race tires, been running DOT legal ones since 03. The only difference here is no tread. This guy is giving me that set for free, pretty hard to turn that down. I do like the BT-003RS as a DOT tire, I've run them and probably will again, although I think they'd be too soft for the track which is where a lot of my focus will be next season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:38 AM

i dont like to get wet so i dont ride in the rain ++++ in california its all ways sunny hell i was out today 11/13/2011 at 2PM + look how nice it is
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Shane RC51

I've logged a lot of street miles on slicks, and I've been caught in the rain a bunch, too. It's fun spinning up the rear almost at will, but I've never done it while leaned over. I've never had a problem or scary moment, but I take it easy and make SMOOTH inputs. I also avoid standing water. If the road is just wet, you can cruise all day on slicks. The biggest problem you'll run into, is the wet road will drop the tire's temp.

I swear, some of you Rossi wanna-be's are a bunch of weenies. "Oh noes! I'd NEVER ride on a plugged tire! Mis-matched front/rear's are a NO NO! Slicks on the street?! You're CRAZY!!"

I wouldn't want a set of slicks for my year round set of tires, but I'll jump on a free set anytime. Keep 'em hot, avoid standing water, and run 'em till they're toast...

SP1 - Marchesini wheels - 15/42 - BrakeTech rotors - (fake radial mount) '08 1kRR calipers - blah blah sig masturbation blah...

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrc51 View Post
i dont like to get wet so i dont ride in the rain ++++ in california its all ways sunny hell i was out today 11/13/2011 at 2PM + look how nice it is
yeah, but that's still in california

03 RC51 - 135whp via lots of stickers and a few parts. tuned by hord
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 PM
And Stateside again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderF4i View Post
I've logged a lot of street miles on slicks, and I've been caught in the rain a bunch, too. It's fun spinning up the rear almost at will, but I've never done it while leaned over. I've never had a problem or scary moment, but I take it easy and make SMOOTH inputs. I also avoid standing water. If the road is just wet, you can cruise all day on slicks. The biggest problem you'll run into, is the wet road will drop the tire's temp.

I swear, some of you Rossi wanna-be's are a bunch of weenies. "Oh noes! I'd NEVER ride on a plugged tire! Mis-matched front/rear's are a NO NO! Slicks on the street?! You're CRAZY!!"

I wouldn't want a set of slicks for my year round set of tires, but I'll jump on a free set anytime. Keep 'em hot, avoid standing water, and run 'em till they're toast...
Exactly.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-town RC View Post
Got caught at Barber on slicks in the rain. Wasn`t a complete down pour, but completely wet. Was tricky but made it to the end of the race. Same goes for rain riding on street, and track. Be smooth, and you should make it home just fine.

One thing to keep in mind is depending on the tire compound and make, slicks usually need heat in them to stick good. Without heat in the tire, it`ll spin up, and cold tear. Hard compounds will need more heat than softer compounds. Had a set Michelin slicks up at Deals Gap once, and it took about half the way though before the tires started working well because it was kinda cool that day. Hope this helps!
I took a third place race finish on OLD pilot powers. The first and second place guys had full rains38 deg. F. and raining like mad the race was held after the Track was checked for ICE !!!

Here's a picture of one of our clubs typical weather days featuring Zack H.

I also ran Barber wet with power ones as it happened SBK DREW and I had on/off rain all day and we were at the michelin cup pitted with our tire rep Tommy, The session was really FUN both ends were moving the same standing up the bike before making adjustments is the key turn entry input is held throughout the turn and exit. Zero input and the bike is fine it moves but let's face it you guys the 51 is brilliant in the rain.
The fun was when I came in the michelin ceo and Tommy were in the pit soi I told them their tires sucked and the ceo said I was NUTS for running 90 % slicks !

Dude ride smooth and it"s all good
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"03 RC"
and a new litter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I should REALLY wear a condum

Last edited by wingnutt; 11-14-2011 at 06:49 PM.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 PM
calculating status...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
Pilot Powers get greasy after 30-40min of hard riding compared to race tires.

post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM

Just think about how much "free" will cost you when you hit a manhole cover or a painted line or tar... on cold slick tires in the wet.

Those conditions will take out nearly any tire especially your front.

Don't push your luck too far.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 PM
LDH

Send a message via AIM to LDH Send a message via MSN to LDH Send a message via Yahoo to LDH
As an instructor I have been caught out on slicks in the wet more times than I can possibly count.

It sucks, but they are manageable as long as they have been scrubbed in prior to getting on the wet surface and that you aren't trying to ride at a pace you would ride on wet weather tires in standing water. If they aren't scrubbed first then you are SOL. Same thing is true with Pilot Power Street Tires though too. I use Pilot Powers for Intermediate wet weather tires when I know it is going to rain, but if they aren't scrubbed properly before they get wet they are like riding on greased owl shit.

Basically if you are going to make the move to slicks on your trackbike you should have the financial ability to afford to have a spare set of wet weather tires be it DOT street tires or full wet race tires mounted trackside or have spare wheels ready to go for that wet weather contingency.

post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Yes, I have tried slicks on the street. Why? because I was stupid and wanted to look like a "racer" when I parked. Would I do it now? No, I try to actually ENHANCE the ability of the bikes I ride, and considering you have the proverbial palm print of grip between you and tears, I'd re-think the slicks thing my friend. If you are out riding yer DOT tires on the street, you should be; A. Dead B. Getting paid to ride (before "A" occurs...) Semper Fi! -Rocky- (coming from someone with a "worn" Power One currently on the rear....)

ROCKYMT

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMt View Post
Yes, I have tried slicks on the street. Why? because I was stupid and wanted to look like a "racer" when I parked. Would I do it now? No, I try to actually ENHANCE the ability of the bikes I ride, and considering you have the proverbial palm print of grip between you and tears, I'd re-think the slicks thing my friend. If you are out riding yer DOT tires on the street, you should be; A. Dead B. Getting paid to ride (before "A" occurs...) Semper Fi! -Rocky- (coming from someone with a "worn" Power One currently on the rear....)
My using race tires has nothing to do with how I want to look. Those of you saying that a race tire is not as good as a DOT tire on the street don't ride as hard as I am, it's that simple. I'm not some rossi wannabe, I don't think I'm that fast at all. But I have no problem rolling up the edges of my race tires on the street. I think a lot of it has to do with region, but around here many people have more than enough ability to use race tires on the road. There are tons of fast guys, it takes more than just being fast to deserve being paid as a motorcycle racer. Again, I've been using DOT legal tires with IDENTICAL compounds as slicks with no tread.. in the dry I've never had a single issue after adequate warmup. The slick I'm about to run is the exact same tire I'm using now, the only difference is the one I'm using now has a little tread, which should only marginally help wet weather performance.
http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/d211gp/
http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/slicks/
post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
My using race tires has nothing to do with how I want to look. Those of you saying that a race tire is not as good as a DOT tire on the street don't ride as hard as I am, it's that simple. I'm not some rossi wannabe, I don't think I'm that fast at all. But I have no problem rolling up the edges of my race tires on the street. I think a lot of it has to do with region, but around here many people have more than enough ability to use race tires on the road. There are tons of fast guys, it takes more than just being fast to deserve being paid as a motorcycle racer.

why are you riding so hard on the street you are rolling the edges of your tires?

you actually sound like a liability and a danger and that i hope has nothing to do with region

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Why? Because I bought this motorcycle with the intentions of riding it as it was designed to be ridden and I don't have the funds to ride at the track every day. It's pretty simple. As for me being a liability, been riding like this for years and have had at least 5 bikes I've ridden this way on the street, no problems whatsoever. Been running race tires since 2003. I'm sorry that you don't have the ability to do the things being discussed with relative safety. Perhaps you should leave this conversation to the big boys, your input and lack of knowledge on the subject has been duly noted.
post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Why? Because I bought this motorcycle with the intentions of riding it as it was designed to be ridden and I don't have the funds to ride at the track every day. It's pretty simple. As for me being a liability, been riding like this for years and have had at least 5 bikes I've ridden this way on the street, no problems whatsoever. Been running race tires since 2003. I'm sorry that you don't have the ability to do the things being discussed with relative safety. Perhaps you should leave this conversation to the big boys, your input and lack of knowledge on the subject has been duly noted.

i have forgotten more about riding then you will ever know

i could care les how many bikes you have had or that you ride to the bikes limit, you still sound like a danger to others and you are bad for the sport

i can whip your arse without rolling the bike to the very edge of its limit and your posts are showing your lack of maturity

you go on to now say you can't afford track days but your post was on if you get caught in the rain returning from a track day you can't afford LOL sounds more like you are so good on the street you wonder if the slicks will be ok when you are showing all of us noraml riders your mad skilz on the strret with slicks LMAO

good luck be safe

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
LOL, sure sure buddy. A bold and clearly baseless statement as you have no knowledge of my ability. I'm sure you're the fastest squid in jersey. Feel free to follow through with that empty promise next time you're in the NC or Deals Gap area. Lets see some trackday or even street riding photos of you on your bike. Any bike. No? Oh, ok, thought not.
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
LOL, sure sure buddy. A bold and clearly baseless statement as you have no knowledge of my ability. I'm sure you're the fastest squid in jersey. Feel free to follow through with that empty promise next time you're in the NC or Deals Gap area. Lets see some trackday or even street riding photos of you on your bike. Any bike. No? Oh, ok, thought not.

your penis is bigger, i get it kid

i have had a 51 since before you had a DL

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akilldema View Post
no? Oh, ok, thought not.
:d :d :d
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:28 PM

Be sure to ride those slicks in the wet in your jeans leaned over in a corner with your head over the double yellow while one of your buddies takes the picture. Post it up here for all us to see.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLunatic View Post
Be sure to ride those slicks in the wet in your jeans leaned over in a corner with your head over the double yellow while one of your buddies takes the picture. Post it up here for all us to see.
Why the negativity? Or even the response? I posted up looking for advice and half of the posts here are from people no experience with the topic, or people terrified of riding aggressively. Additionally, I prefer to wear a one piece and per my original post, I try to avoid the rain if at all possible. Thanks for your suggestion though fella! Maybe you should see about getting your medicinal marijuana card, might help you deal with that unneeded anger.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Why the negativity? Or even the response? I posted up looking for advice and half of the posts here are from people no experience with the topic, or people terrified of riding dangerously and recklessly. Additionally, I prefer to wear a one piece and per my original post, I try to avoid the rain if at all possible. Thanks for your suggestion though fella! Maybe you should see about getting your medicinal marijuana card, might help you deal with that unneeded anger.
running you bike to the very edge has nothing to do with ability and more to do with responsibility

there are many very good riders on here that can or could ride nobby tired bikes around your slicked bike on the street but they don't because it is stupid and dangerous to you and to others

I can ride a on ramp to the adge of my tires at 40 MPH that does not mean i need slicks. There are many that even on the track can't use the treaded tires to their limit never mind take the full effect of slicks but you need them on the street again why?

you sound like the drunk who insists they drive better or good drunk because of their ability

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode