Three straight days on the RC51 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Three straight days on the RC51

I finally got to put all my sport touring mods to the test, three days all over northern California. My brother was on my VFR, and my dad on his R1100RT for a total of just under 750 miles and 17 hours on the hourmeter. We had two hours of riding in the rain on the first day, but excellent weather otherwise. My brother and I had fun in the curves and my dad caught up on the straights where we took it easy.

On the RC51 the Givi topcase rack was solid, the new handlebars I made and Corbin seat allowed me to ride all day. The Garmin Zumo 550 made navigation along some pretty detailed routes a snap. With the big buttons I was able to find lunch and gas stops very easily.

On day 3 we went to take a side road I had programmed into the GPS. As I turned off the highway it looked like a driveway climbing up into the woods. After about 200 feet I ran into the sign shown in the last pic. Recalculating!

Overall the VFR is still more comfortable of course, but the sheer fun of being on an RC51 on Highways 70, 89 and 49 more than made up for the slightly less comfortable riding position and more frequent fuel stops.

I can't wait for the next trip in October!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 PM

nice pics I love the color scheme on your bike. looks like a lot of fun on that thing.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Panigaliscious

Did you mount the Givi case to a spare pillion seat base?

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
Did you mount the Givi case to a spare pillion seat base?
Here's the link to the rack I made for the Givi topcase. At the top of that thread you'll find pics of a case mounted to a seat base.

https://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc5...tml#post655961
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 12:07 AM

That's a great set-up. I've been thinking about doing something similar, and now I have your plan to work off of. Thanks!

2000 RC51
2010 Husaberg FE570
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Member (Large)

Looks like it was a blast! I really need to move back home so I am closer to family and can get my brother out on a bike. He keeps daydreaming about them, but never pulls the trigger.

If you ever think about making another rack like that, let me know as I might be interested. Where did you get the back triangle shaped part that the trunk latches to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I bought the topcase used from a guy who had been using it on a Suzuki. He didn't use the case anymore after the steel rack he had broke. He gave me the busted rack for free and I pirated mounting hardware off it and used it on mine. I was just going to buy the mounting hardware seperately from Givi or one of their dealers otherwise.

I wish there was some simple way to reproduce that rack I made, but it took forever to fab it up such that it pops in and out of the trunk lid hole but still securely attaches itself to the subframe crossmembers.

If anyone is interested in making their own, all the pictures I took while making the rack can be viewed here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1046586...MzfxI_35YLsxgE
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 PM

Get rid of that rear stock shock. It'll feel like an entirely better bike, especially on our shitty half maintained California roads.

Dan Kyle is just 1hr away if you live in the S.F. Bay area and need a used shock serviced.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLunatic View Post
Get rid of that rear stock shock. It'll feel like an entirely better bike, especially on our shitty half maintained California roads.

Dan Kyle is just 1hr away if you live in the S.F. Bay area and need a used shock serviced.
Thanks for the tip, but at this point suspension work isn't justified yet since I haven't exhausted the traditional suspension setup/adjustment steps. I figured out long ago with dirt bikes that getting suspension work done because someone else has done it, or using somebody elses settings is lazy and spending money without knowing what I'm doing. That's not to say that the conventional wisdom here of nuking the stock shock isn't correct, it probably is, but how can you truly appreciate good suspension or be able to adjust IT properly if you don't have the experience of going through the whole process? Just my opinion of course.

Anyway, I wasn't riding the bike that hard on this trip, and actually highways 70, 89 and 49 are in pretty good shape nowadays.

As an experiment I put ALL the suspension clickers full soft to see how plush the RC could be for street riding. Kinda like plushing out my CR250 when I run it on single tracks in the woods. I ended up cranking about 6 clicks of fork compression in to make it less divey on braking, but otherwise it worked out well on the trip with those settings.

Would I run it like that on the track or if I was going to ride with a faster group? No, but 2 minutes with a screw driver is all it takes to adjust it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 09:00 AM
PSk

Beautiful work on the mount for the top case.

Pete

'97 Suzuki GS500E - Sold 28000 km's later.
'90 Suzuki GN250 - Sold 57000 km's later. Cost less than 12c per km to run ...

Grumpy Kiwi.
Why fly when ya can make a lot of noise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9hondas View Post
Thanks for the tip, but at this point suspension work isn't justified yet since I haven't exhausted the traditional suspension setup/adjustment steps. I figured out long ago with dirt bikes that getting suspension work done because someone else has done it, or using somebody elses settings is lazy and spending money without knowing what I'm doing. That's not to say that the conventional wisdom here of nuking the stock shock isn't correct, it probably is, but how can you truly appreciate good suspension or be able to adjust IT properly if you don't have the experience of going through the whole process? Just my opinion of course.

Anyway, I wasn't riding the bike that hard on this trip, and actually highways 70, 89 and 49 are in pretty good shape nowadays.

As an experiment I put ALL the suspension clickers full soft to see how plush the RC could be for street riding. Kinda like plushing out my CR250 when I run it on single tracks in the woods. I ended up cranking about 6 clicks of fork compression in to make it less divey on braking, but otherwise it worked out well on the trip with those settings.

Would I run it like that on the track or if I was going to ride with a faster group? No, but 2 minutes with a screw driver is all it takes to adjust it.
Mess with it all you want. The spring is for a 300lb+ 2up rider and the shock is too soft. It doesn't work no matter how much you try and tweak it. You can't soften up the front except the high speed compression. My rebound is two turns out from full in. Any softer and it will pogo. For $600 you can buy a used Ohlins and have a completely different bike. I did and I would never go back to stock.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM

What I wouldnt do for a ride like that...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 AM

Thumbs up Top Cat RC

That top case on your bike is awesome.........great stuff!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Ahhhh...thats home turf. First photo is the north side of the entrance of the old bridge crossing of Highway 49 over the Yuba River - I grew up using that old bridge before they built the new one in around 1990. Those roads (and many more in the area if you know them) are great carvers if not a bit rough around the edges. Looks like a great trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode