New member just bought an RC51, have a few questions - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

New member just bought an RC51, have a few questions

What's up everyone.

New here from New Hampshire and I like the information I've been able to find so far on the site.
Just got a killer deal on an 01 RC51. I also have a 98 Superhawk (for sale).

As far as the RC goes, I bought it off the 2nd owner. The only thing he did to it was twin Yoshi pipes. Original owner installed PCIII usb, undertail (which is cracked), and some different paint. I haven't inspected further for soft limiter or intake duct mods or anything for that matter. Looks stock otherwise. Battery terminal cables were dangerously loose..but on the bright side there was a gel battery in there.

I do however have a few questions.
1. Should I remap for the Yoshi pipes? Bike runs strong now, but what's strong for me could be slow for you. Just trying to keep things in order.

2. The intake duct thing, I read it closes between 5 and 6krpm or whatever. Can I just remove it or disable it and are there any benefits?

3. My rear exhaust header pipe is loose on both ends. There are t-bolt clamps "holding" it in there, but they're all the way tight. Should I just get new clamps and gaskets?

4. I'm looking for some new front rotors since mine are warped from what I can tell. Reccomendations to avoid buying a used warped pair? Also looking for an OEM seat.

5. Any other free mods I am missing? I don't want to permanently alter the bike, I like the stock form very much.

of course pics or it didn't happen

see ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM

some hard questions! I'll take the easy one...

4. I sold a stock seat on ebay for $40 and it sold instantly. They usually seem to be going for that price. I also got a corbin for $50 on ebay. I bet if you ask around on the site, you could get a good price.

Rotors are a similar story. I bought some on ebay for $70 and they were fine. I think stock used ones are fine, but you will hear lots of opinions on here...

my .02$

and welcome aboard!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
First things first
That oil leak looks massive, I mean there must be a quart on the ground

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"03 RC"
and a new litter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I should REALLY wear a condum

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 PM

On a serious note... do a search (pair flapper removal) replace or flip over the rear flange (new gasket) and search the soft rev removal...

About the state of tune the ONLY way to know is finding a reputible RC-51 experienced tuner to build you a custom map..you may want to get an airbox first instead of mapping twice (guess how I learned) the benifit is perfect throttle respnose plugs last forever and control. * hp is a by-product of a good map.

"03 RC"
and a new litter

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edognight View Post
4. I sold a stock seat on ebay for $40 and it sold instantly. They usually seem to be going for that price. I also got a corbin for $50 on ebay. I bet if you ask around on the site, you could get a good price.

Rotors are a similar story. I bought some on ebay for $70 and they were fine. I think stock used ones are fine, but you will hear lots of opinions on here...

my .02$

and welcome aboard!
thank you for the tips. I've read good things about the corbins, but also bad things about them :\ I'll just see what comes up but an OEM seat is probably my best (cheapest) option. And for rotors, I just wouldn't end up buying a used set only to find out that they are warped like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
First things first
That oil leak looks massive, I mean there must be a quart on the ground
..On a serious note... do a search (pair flapper removal) replace or flip over the rear flange (new gasket) and search the soft rev removal...

About the state of tune the ONLY way to know is finding a reputible RC-51 experienced tuner to build you a custom map..you may want to get an airbox first instead of mapping twice (guess how I learned) the benifit is perfect throttle respnose plugs last forever and control. * hp is a by-product of a good map.
no oil leak, just washed the bike it's water.
I've had similar experience to the flapper mod, my vtr1000 had reed valves that I just turned over (there were two, though) may do the same thing here, thanks.
for the soft limiter I will use the ROGUE site tips for that.
I'm not sure of any tuners in my area specific to RC's but maybe after calling around a bit I'll have my answer.

and as for the airbox part you mention, I'm not sure what you mean. people upgrade the SP1 airboxes? I read that they can support well over what the RC is capable of ingesting.
guess I need to brush up here too.

thanks guys, more help is of course welcome.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:01 PM

I should have been more clear,I meant flip the exhaust flange over
Attached Images

"03 RC"
and a new litter

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Welcome, and congrats on your RC51 ownership! I've got a Corbin on my '04 and have no issues with it. What'd you hear that was bad about Corbins?

Last edited by Corsair; 09-22-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: I'm blind and/or can't read...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
I should have been more clear,I meant flip the exhaust flange over
not sure what I'm looking at there, seems like some sort of air box I'll try the exhaust flange turnover thing as well. TY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Welcome, and congrats on your RC51 ownership! I've got a Corbin on my '04 and have no issues with it. What'd you hear that was bad about Corbins?
thank you! I've only read and listened to people's opinions about the corbins. they really are all mixed reviews as everybody's butt is different. nonetheless I think I'm just going to stick with a stocker someone on here has for sale (hopefully for the right price!)

Additionally, I was able to wire up 9V to get my PCIII usb working, and I read the map off of it.

said:"Erion slip ons, stock or k&n filter"
now I haven't looked at the filter yet, but my pipes are yosh. I see a lot of different maps for different pipes so I would like to believe it makes a difference. anyone have a yosh slip on map for an SP1? or would anyone be able to guide me i the right direction for fuel mapping?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:26 PM

1. Yes, re-map - but wait until you are done doing any other mods.
2. I assume you are talking about removing the flapper valve. It is easy, do it. Directions are here: ROGUE RC51 Flapper Valve Mod Page Buy the cover here: Kyle Racing RC51/1000RR Flapper Valve Cover - Welcome To Kyle Racing's Online Store
5. Do the PAIR mod. Directions here: RC51 Pair System Removal Guide Parts here: Kyle Racing RC51 smog block off plates - Welcome To Kyle Racing's Online Store

I have a Sargent seat on mine that I am very happy with. Where in NH are you? I still have the stock one as well.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 PM
calculating status...

Two sets of rotors.

https://www.speedzilla.com/forums/hon...skinz-oem.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode