Front Mount Radiators for Everybody! - Page 8 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
I'm gonna need a set of these soon...
Rad kits are in the air - on their way to me.

They'll go quick.

TygaUSA.com - Tyga Performance Carbon Fiber, Exhaust Systems, Billet CNC & More! will be updated upon arrival.

WW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

New high polished version now as well which I think looks pretty good without being too much bling...photos soon!!

THERMAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post

i am a assshole and really it all boils down to that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #143 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Hey Glen, the site says you are out of stock in the SP1 Rads. When will you have more in?

Fast bike slow rider

post #144 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Should be about a week, maybe 10 days, just waiting on a couple small bits to complete the kit!

THERMAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post

i am a assshole and really it all boils down to that.

post #145 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM

Alright gang - we'll start shipping these Wednesday on a first ordered, first shipped basis! Only 4 kits left in stock and unspoken for (polished and painted for SP1 and SP2, respectively) for now - don't wait!

WW

Thanks for your support!
post #146 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
RC51 only 4stroke I liked

Comparison

How are these compared to stock in terms of volume?
Has anyone installed them and use them on the street?
Is there room for a fan?

"The most violent element in society is ignorance" Red Emma Goldman
post #147 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to JBs_SP3
I haven't compared the volume but I use the Thermae front mounts on the street and yes there's room for one or two SPAL 4" fans behind the lower radiator. It's hot here in Bangkok and I have a modified motor so I usually kill the engine at lights otherwise the fans are working hard to keep the temps under control. This is the same scenario I had previously with the stock motor and rads, the difference now is the bike cools down much faster once it's moving again.

Total frontal surface area is slightly less than OEM but the stock rads are partly shrouded by the engine hangers so in real terms there's more useable surface area in the front mounts, plus at 32 mm the cores are much thicker. In my experience the main advantage of the front mounts is the rads are de-coupled from the frame meaning less of the heat radiating from the engine hangers is being transferred back into the cooling system. The main disadvantage is access to the front cyl. and spark plug is now a PITA.

I never tried a 5" SPAL pusher with OEM rads myself but going by other people's experiences this together with some Thorston scoops looks to be the best all-round cooling system modification for stop and go traffic. A single 5" SPAL fan moves more air than either OEM or two 4" SPAL fans. The front mounts are trick though.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGara View Post
How are these compared to stock in terms of volume?
Has anyone installed them and use them on the street?
Is there room for a fan?

Last edited by JBs_SP3; 01-25-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: English
post #148 of 239 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:10 AM
BBB

Superhawk rad

PM sent
post #149 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Bump for a great product, any word as to when new kits (SP1) will be available?
post #150 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Garage
Contact thermae cooling directly. Thermae Cooling
Last I saw Tyga USA was closing it's doors.

Oh, and pick me up an SP2 set while you're at it.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #151 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
Contact thermae cooling directly. Thermae Cooling
Last I saw Tyga USA was closing it's doors.

Oh, and pick me up an SP2 set while you're at it.
Soon - very, very soon (weeks hopefully).

WW

Thanks for your support!
post #152 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM

thanks for the link, email sent!!

Everyone who picked up a kit pretty happy? The quality looks top drawer! I think the worst part of this is going to be explaining to my wife that I just had to have them....forginess is so much easier than permission...
post #153 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Dr. Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBs_SP3 View Post
I haven't compared the volume but I use the Thermae front mounts on the street and yes there's room for one or two SPAL 4" fans behind the lower radiator. It's hot here in Bangkok and I have a modified motor so I usually kill the engine at lights otherwise the fans are working hard to keep the temps under control. This is the same scenario I had previously with the stock motor and rads, the difference now is the bike cools down much faster once it's moving again.

Total frontal surface area is slightly less than OEM but the stock rads are partly shrouded by the engine hangers so in real terms there's more useable surface area in the front mounts, plus at 32 mm the cores are much thicker. In my experience the main advantage of the front mounts is the rads are de-coupled from the frame meaning less of the heat radiating from the engine hangers is being transferred back into the cooling system. The main disadvantage is access to the front cyl. and spark plug is now a PITA.

I never tried a 5" SPAL pusher with OEM rads myself but going by other people's experiences this together with some Thorston scoops looks to be the best all-round cooling system modification for stop and go traffic. A single 5" SPAL fan moves more air than either OEM or two 4" SPAL fans. The front mounts are trick though.

Hope this helps.
I would think that killing the engine at lights would cause you to heat up more since there is no air flow and now there is no fan either. and not coolant circulation. The coolant directly beside the cylinders is actually getting superheated relative to that in the rads ot tubes..... you might be doing harm not good by letting the coolant get hotter in these areas:twocents
post #154 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20_RC51_00 View Post
I would think that killing the engine at lights would cause you to heat up more since there is no air flow and now there is no fan either. and not coolant circulation. The coolant directly beside the cylinders is actually getting superheated relative to that in the rads ot tubes..... you might be doing harm not good by letting the coolant get hotter in these areas:twocents
I concur with DR. Carbon

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #155 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20_RC51_00 View Post
So what keeps the coolant inside your motor circulating after you shut it off? Davies Craig make some nice thermo controlled, programmable electric water pumps that will cut in to prevent heat soak after shut down if they're hard wired. But for most of us with standard mechanical water pumps cutting the motor cuts the coolant flow regardless of whether it's at the end of a ride or at the lights. Is shutting the motor off to fill up with gas and then starting it again bad for it? Probably.
post #156 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 AM
Dr. Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBs_SP3 View Post
So what keeps the coolant inside your motor circulating after you shut it off? Davies Craig make some nice thermo controlled, programmable electric water pumps that will cut in to prevent heat soak after shut down if they're hard wired. But for most of us with standard mechanical water pumps cutting the motor cuts the coolant flow regardless of whether it's at the end of a ride or at the lights. Is shutting the motor off to fill up with gas and then starting it again bad for it? Probably.
right but you don't fill up at every light... or stop and go... so it's harm in the relative sense i suppose. not ideal but not going to kill you whenever you fill up

what I do at the track is cool down lap and also let the bike run a bit before thurnign off. I also kill the engine but let the fans run and then either to keep the circulation going I hitting the kill swithc and cranking the engine a few times periodically or actually let it start back up and then kill again, just to prevent the stasis of coolant and vapor blanket next to the cylinder...
post #157 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM

I think we're on the same page. The ideal for either track or street would have to be proper warm up and maintaining the most stable operating temperatures possible, though obviously maintaining stable temperatures is easier on the track than the road. Your cool down regimen is impressive.

So to qualify my original post I don't shut the motor off at every light and I don't shut it off if it's overheating. When I designed the Thermae rads I could not find a way to accommodate a 5" SPAL fan which is a shame because think one of these would solve the problem of stabilising temperatures in stop and go traffic even for modified motors such as mine. The 4" SPALs are a compromise but they're all that'll fit in there ... for now.

When I first fitted my front mounts the motor was not yet broken in so I ran it without a thermostat anticipating high temperatures. Now the motor's broken in I think I'll re-install the thermostat because running on the road without it the coolant temperatures can swing by as much as 30C - 40C between cruising and stationery. That may not be bad for the motor but I'd rather it was more stable all the same and I can't be arsed messing around with shrouds or tape to block airflow to the rads on a street bike.

An alternative to the OEM thermostat and fan thermo switch would be the Davies Craig system I mentioned, I haven't seen anyone adapt these for an RC51 but I've seen them used on other bikes, pretty trick:

Electric Booster Pump 25 (EBP25) (Pump Only) - PART No: 9105

EWP & FAN DIGITAL CONTROLLER 12V - PART No: 8020

Last edited by JBs_SP3; 04-11-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: English
post #158 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Gold Sponsor

will be keen to pick up a set when they are ready again!
post #159 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Dr. Carbon

maybe running evans coolant could be beneficia. the responses are that you run a touch hotter but swing less, also it's pressureless.
post #160 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM

^bingo. I have always thought about it

Dobermans with Distinction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode