Speedzilla Forums banner

Discacciati Radial calipers.

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mrgrn 
#1 · (Edited)
My SP2 has developed a nasty brake judder and there's visible hot spots on the front discs. Not sure what's caused this, perhaps the calipers need rebuilding (Have bought a dremel & brass brushes to clean out the recesses before fitting new seals), or the brake pads (Carbon Loraine) aren't suited. In any case, my front discs are toast.

So this week I ordered new Braketech Axis/Cobra stainless discs (I use the bike in all weather and although I'd prefer the improved performance of ductile iron discs, I don't want rusty rotors :D), 108 size Radial conversion kit from RC51parts.com and have been considering which calipers to fit.

Although the RC51parts.com kit is made for fitment of CBR1000RR Tokiko's, these would require new longer hoses, a rebuild & new pads, so I figured I may as well spend more and buy some new calipers.

A pair of new Brembo M4's are available for 555 Euros from
Brembo calipers M4 108 Honda CBR 1000 RR 06 07 08 09 10 | eBay

I was sorely tempted to buy these. Nice performance, dust seals, Brembo quality & development, etc.

But then I came across these:

http://store.discacciati.net/compon.../product/5533df122c40100fd0b29f9c6ad38bcd.jpg

They look beautifully made on a CNC machine from billet, are splitable, making overhauling easy & with twin 35mm pistons (Titanium pistons are available as an option too). These should go well with my 19mm Brembo master cylinder.

Nice bonus is if they're exported from the EU, there's a reduction of a further 20% tax, so they work out at 774.36 Euros for the pair + P&P (+ 5% consumption tax on arrival to Japan).
so that looks like a lot of caliper for the money...for only about 200 Euros more than Brembo M4 Monoblocks.

So I'm thinking of ordering a set, but wanted to ask here if anybody's used Discacciati calipers before, or Brembo M4's on an RC51.

Your comments please gents.

See less See more
#2 ·
I will speak for the brand (not the calipers them self). They ROCK HARD!

The funny ting is the brand is not as well known here in the states as it is in the Asian and European market. Why would so many race teams choose a brand like Discacciati if they sucked fatty's?

I was trying to unload a set of calipers for a good price last year and no-one was buying. Now they represent a larger pool of pro riders front ends and I'm choosing not to let them go.

I'd say go for it, and complete a write up based on your experience with other calipers as well. I'd love to hear how they compete with the other "top brand" company riders use to stop.

#3 ·
It seems they don't spend much on marketting, so most people don't know about this brand, but design wise - for the money they beat Brembo's goods - and you know you're paying for the marketting when buying the expensive stuff! ;)

I've been searching and not found many people using Discacciati, but I've no problem being a bit different - if it works good.

I only have experience (a long time ago) with Harrison Billet 6 pots (On a VFR750 & the difference was like night & day!) but to other modern brands I can't compare, really. I'm pretty sure Discacciati Radials would be an improvement over standard though... Otherwise, why didn't race teams stick with standard calipers on the RC51.

There are minor gains to be made with monoblock calipers, but it's worth noting P4 Brembo radial calipers are two piece (For ease of maintenance) and a lot more expensive than similar spec Discacciati radials.

I just need to make sure these Discacciatis are M10 bolt fitment. If so, I think I'll go for them unless anybody's had problems with a similar setup by this manufacturer.

Interestingly, they also offer a 4 piston underslung rear caliper kit for the SP1... I'm checking if they'd do one for the SP2, assuming it's different because of a difference in swingarm design... I could do with upgrading the rear brake. I hate the way it wobbles on it's sliders TBH.

Does anybody know if the SP1 standard rear carrier & caliper fit on an SP2 swingarm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.