Turn Signal Troubleshooting - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Goldmember!

Turn Signal Troubleshooting

2003 RC. Have a BL/Y and Gray wire on the stock connector and a Green wire on a second stock connector both sides. Gray is ground. When I push for left turn, left light goes out, right signal stays on and doesn't flash. Vice Versa when I push for right turn, right goes out left stays on and doesn't flash. Eyebrow lights have only black and red, black being ground. What should I hook up and why the reversal of turn signals?

2003 RC with MFing Mori Low Mounts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't discriminate, I am a dick to everyone equally."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Those colors don't seem right for the wires your refering to. The turn signals use Light Blue/White (running light) and Light Blue (signal) on the right, and Orange/White (running light) and Orange (signal) on the left. Both use Green for ground. Recheck your wire colors quick.

Second, do you want your eyebrow lights to blink along with the turn signals or remain on solid no matter what?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Goldmember!

I would like them to do both. What would I need?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 AM

I got your PM, but I'll respond in the thread here:
Quote:
now I can either have them blink or on all the time. What do I need to do to have them both ways?
How many wires came with the eyebrow lights? If it's a two-wire then I think you may have to choose on all the time or blinking when the signals blink. If they were three-wire then you can accomplish both.

Maybe someone else knows this-- if the turn signals are hooked up with all three wires (stock or otherwise) and the signal is on is the turn signal still on in between the brighter flashes or does it actually cut out in between? My RC has never had both power and signal hooked up and I never tested it otherwise.

I DO NOT think you can get away with connecting both the power and signal wires together for a two-wire light!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Goldmember!

They are a two wire set-up. Surely there is a way to accomplish what I want. Somebody out there must know a way.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry, dude! I'll have to let someone else chime in if that's possible or not with a two-wire light and a three-wire source.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 AM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51ManSam View Post
They are a two wire set-up. Surely there is a way to accomplish what I want. Somebody out there must know a way.
it can be done with a couple of 5 pole relays. source a constant power and run dedicated grounds for the eyebrows. use a positive signal from your turn indicators and wire that up to the relay so that it interrupts the grounds when you signal. so wire up the ground through the relay so that it rests on the closed circuit. and your turn signal activates the coil (which also needs a dedicated ground)

Relay Basics

06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
There's no need to mess with relays. I used Radioshack 276-1143 diodes (200v 3amp - $1.59 for a pack of three) connecting the running and flasher wires. The flasher circuit then powers the running lights on/off blinking, but running light circuit cannot power flasher.

I just completed this exact setup last week, using Scotts two wire LED eyebrow lights, and proton LED turnsignals on the sides.

Here's my wiring diagram: (if you cant see the image - here's the url: http://www.airlinebrats.com/rc51/led...LED_wiring.jpg

Here's video of the lights operating:

Last edited by 9hondas; 07-09-2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: MAKE THE IMAGE LINK WORK AGAIN!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Goldmember!

So I will splice the diode between the blink wire and the always on wire and that will solve the equation? Sounds easy enough.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
So I will splice the diode between the blink wire and the always on wire and that will solve the equation? Sounds easy enough.
Your first post wasn't exactly clear what lights you were talking about, but I'm assuming your regular side mounted turn signals are working normally, you have the eyebrow lights wired into the running light circuit and just the eyebrow lights are going dark when their side turn signal is pressed.

If that is correct, what is happening is the power is removed from the running wire (making the eyebrow go dark) while the power is being cycled on-off to the flasher wire. Installing the diode will allow that cycling power to also go into the running light circuit thus making the eyebrow flash too. That is how my system worked before I put the diode across the two wires. Also make sure you don't put the diode across the ground wire. The ground wire on each side is the white connector with ONE single GREEN wire. The Orange or Blue connector with two wires are the running and signal wires you want to put the diode across.

You can easily duplicate the same test I did to verify the diode works as desired: Bend the diode wires into a U so you can shove both ends into the back of the double wire connector while the lights are on with the turn signal operating. Remember that diodes are one-way check valves, so if your lights don't work right, reversing the diode will fix it. When you get it jammed in there right the eyebrow will flash too.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Goldmember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9hondas View Post
Your first post wasn't exactly clear what lights you were talking about, but I'm assuming your regular side mounted turn signals are working normally, you have the eyebrow lights wired into the running light circuit and just the eyebrow lights are going dark when their side turn signal is pressed.

If that is correct, what is happening is the power is removed from the running wire (making the eyebrow go dark) while the power is being cycled on-off to the flasher wire. Installing the diode will allow that cycling power to also go into the running light circuit thus making the eyebrow flash too. That is how my system worked before I put the diode across the two wires. Also make sure you don't put the diode across the ground wire. The ground wire on each side is the white connector with ONE single GREEN wire. The Orange or Blue connector with two wires are the running and signal wires you want to put the diode across.

You can easily duplicate the same test I did to verify the diode works as desired: Bend the diode wires into a U so you can shove both ends into the back of the double wire connector while the lights are on with the turn signal operating. Remember that diodes are one-way check valves, so if your lights don't work right, reversing the diode will fix it. When you get it jammed in there right the eyebrow will flash too.
I should have been clearer about what set-up I am running. I have completely removed the side mounted signals. The only turn signals I have on the front are the eyebrow lights. I really appreciate the help and watched your video. I like the clean look of the eyebrow lights and want to get rid of the side lights completely. I ordered the diodes from RadioShack and will try to find them locally while I am waiting for them.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Goldmember!

The closest I can get is 1000v 3a diodes.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I should have been clearer about what set-up I am running. I have completely removed the side mounted signals. The only turn signals I have on the front are the eyebrow lights.
Now that you have cleared up your situation with eyebrow lights only, I think your solution is even more simple. Just connect the run and flash wires together (no diode):

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
And Stateside again...

Quote:
Now that you have cleared up your situation with eyebrow lights only, I think your solution is even more simple. Just connect the run and flash wires together (no diode):

This will not work. your Blinker would be getting power feed back constantly and the whole bike(all 4 turn signals) would blink not just left or right side.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Easily Illusioned

Quote:
There's no need to mess with relays. I used Radioshack 276-1143 diodes (200v 3amp - $1.59 for a pack of three) connecting the running and flasher wires. The flasher circuit then powers the running lights on/off blinking, but running light circuit cannot power flasher.

I just completed this exact setup last week, using Scotts two wire LED eyebrow lights, and proton LED turnsignals on the sides.

Here's my wiring diagram:

Here's video of the lights operating:
Best diagram I've seen so far on how to do this mod. Love those Proton flashers!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
This will not work. your Blinker would be getting power feed back constantly and the whole bike(all 4 turn signals) would blink not just left or right side.
It should work fine because of the built-in circuit isolator (the turn signal switch) it only energizes the left or right turn signal circuit one at a time. There is no chance of a back-feed, otherwise the first four light diagram wouldn't work either.

I have this mod on my bike using LED's (2 wire eyebrow LED's with 3 wire side LED's signal/running lights using diodes.

When I first looked into this mod I was a little confused because I didn't understand what the Honda engineers did. The wiring to the running lights are de-energized (on the affected side) when the left/right turn signal switch is closed. After I understood this it all made sense.
If I'm mistaken about this correct me, I've been wrong before.

John
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Goldmember!

So I connected the Green(ground) to the black and the always on and signal wires together and to the red. I have the always on and blinkers. Only thing is now my turn signal light on my speedometer is always on. Oh well, I can live with that.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 AM
Easily Illusioned

Quote:
So I connected the Green(ground) to the black and the always on and signal wires together and to the red. I have the always on and blinkers. Only thing is now my turn signal light on my speedometer is always on. Oh well, I can live with that.
Oops!, checking the schematic looks like it's back feeding to the gauge cluster. Said another way the running light power is energizing the blinker signal that feeds the gauge cluster.

Try putting a diode here

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Oops is right, I forgot that light would be powered by the running lights.

Just put the diode in like Iceman shows, its the same location electrically as my first diagram. That should solve the problem, the signal light on my bike's speedometer operates normally.

Last edited by 9hondas; 04-27-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode