Who's got a build going? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Who's got a build going?

I need something new to read LOL!!

For the love of god someone do something technical. Hahahaha!!

I'm so busy building a supermoto that my 51 has been neglected. Well not really I just cleaned up and repainted her clutch cover, added some Alth rotors (thank you whitw wings), Brembo forged radial front master, added fan switch, cbr coil mod, and a QB cf vented front fender.

I still need to make a new undertail and repaint tank (flat black, the world's easiest color to paint ). I just have to go to Home Depot and get some materials, but I'm lazy and it won't stop snowing in Michigan (12-14 last night UGH!).

What ever happened to vanillagorilla's build?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM
And Stateside again...

I am tearing mine apart tonight to remove some unneccsary wires and shorten the whole harness so it tucks nicer. Plus I bought some new 6000k Slim Ballast HID's to replace my one bad HID and the massive Ballasts I have now. Then I am putting her back together to start riding her.

I am really glad I moved south.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Rebuilding my '99 VFR800.
So far:
Linked brakes completely removed!
929 rear shock rebuilt and revalved
R1 rectifier, new Ricks Stator, Eastern Beaver wiring
SP1 forks, lower triple - Still need to drill and tap holes for new steering stops
Haven't decided on top triple - SP1 or 954
VFR1200 clip ons
SP1 clutch master and brake masters (front and rear)
Checked and re-shimmed all my valves (all intake were out, exhaust were on the verge so I swapped most of them around, sanded the rest to get in spec)
New plugs
Airbox de-snorkeled and de-flappered
New air filter
PAIR deleted
Ordered bulk brake line and fittings to make some new ones, and clutch line

That's about it, so far. Once it's up and running, I'll be able to see what the front is like and if I need to redo the forks. Then the paint...
Slow going, making sure I pay the bills every month!

Kevin

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Member (Large)

I just got done doing a bunch of garbage to mine. Here is the list so far:

Installed:
Sato clip ons
Grip heaters
Sato rear sets
Ohlins shock/mori link
Black 08+ cbr1000 front fender

Rewired fan switch and moved it, wired up the grip heaters, put my stock tank back on (I had been running my leaky track tank since August ). Redid the torque on the steering stem while I had the triple off.

Things I still have to do:
Get a second spal fan and make some rad scoops
Get a caliper and line for the underhung bracket I have had for about a year now....
install the pressure switch for the rear master
install the black front caliper brackets I have (stupid f-ing torx head bolts)
decide which tail light I am going to run cut a hole in my undertail
front brake pads are about due
install the seat I just bought
wash the f-ing thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM

I have a rebuild going, nothing major though. finely did the pair and flapper mod, still need to flush all the fluids, and sill looking for a radiator for the left side. got some goodies to bolt on like the carbon fenders, ohlins shock and link. but other than that i cleaned the crap out of it and replaced some odds and end bushings etc. most likely put a 5k hid kit in and thats pretty much it other than setting up the suspension later.

06/RC51 -- 93/TW200 "T-Dub"
past. 00/RC51 -- 89/CBR F1

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM

I did a few things this off season, but it's all been covered 1000 times
Cam silencer removal
ignition switch delete
removed all unneeded things from the wire harness
removed the fan
600RR coil mod
Found stainless rear brake and clutch line that has been gathering dust since '02 during inventory at work. Got them both for $10, so why not

I also finished the rearsets on my 175. Now I just need to muster the motivation to do a proper teardown for paint

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 PM

Halfway through a teardown... will probably make a thread once I get some parts back.
Attached Images

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy01 View Post
Halfway through a teardown... will probably make a thread once I get some parts back.
What's on the list of mods? Cam? Pistons? Stroke?

I wish 51's were as easy to mod as CRFs LOL. You can rebuild the to top end of my crf450 for next to nothing compared to our big twin.

Would be sweet if Honda made an SP3 wouldn't it. It's amazing the following the RC51 has. As old as the bike is, every time anyone hears the name or the exhaust note the wheels start turning. It still seems to fight for it's place on the track even with all these modern bikes. I love it really. I bought it for that very reason. Out gunned and class and she still won't give up.

You now they would sell if they made a third generation. Off course they'de probably give her shaft drive and call her a tourer like that sweet sweet vfr engine hiding in that setup. You know what I mean.

All good builds guys.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 AM

I have a build going on. Just too lazy to take pics. Maybe I will get around to some pics as it's getting pretty close to finished. Highside at the track almost 3 years ago pretty much turned into replace or rebuild everything except the engine. If the engine blows up after I get it all together, well I guess that will be built too. Lots of money and little time.

02 RC51
04 ZX-10R
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 AM

I had a whole list of drama going on finally got it back together. New chain and sprockets, flushed and replaced all fluids, new brakes all around, cleaned every nut and bolt, replaced air filters, new tires. Tons of fun.

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 AM

WTF!!?? I tried to attach a couple of pic's of my project but the site said my file exceeded something. Any computer wizards out there. Now that's some technical stuff.

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Speedzilla's server is going to be picky because it has to store everything, so's you'll be limited on the files you can store on the site. Hence no large images.

Just set up a photobucket account and stream your images from there.

It's easy. Upload your image to photobucket, save it, and it will give you the code to place into the speedzilla editor. You want the IMG code. Just copy and paste that's it. That's about it.

PM me if you need more info.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Started a complete bike part swap from the 02' to the 03'. Forks calipers wheels, shock, thorsten tail (bodywork of course, front mounts, HRC wire harness, rear sets, rotors, Thorsten hidden brake,

I'm literally doing all this just so I don't have to pull a motor out of one bike and put it in the bike that has all the goodies.

Both bikes are built/have goodies but only one has the built motor.

I will have TONS of sheet for sale after it;s all said in done. I plan to be fireing motors at teh end of March and a huge sale in the begining of April.

Other than that, I have the CB500 that needs motor work, Frams powder coating, Tank repair, Carb work, RC51 front end, CF custom "2-up" tail unit. I have plenty to keep me busy this year.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I love computers.....NOT!!!!

quote=Doughnut Spaghetti;653642]Speedzilla's server is going to be picky because it has to store everything, so's you'll be limited on the files you can store on the site. Hence no large images.

Just set up a photobucket account and stream your images from there.

It's easy. Upload your image to photobucket, save it, and it will give you the code to place into the speedzilla editor. You want the IMG code. Just copy and paste that's it. That's about it.

PM me if you need more info.[/quote]

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbach03 View Post
Thanks for the info. I love computers.....NOT!!!!
See the image code I'm referring to on the last row? Just click in the yellowish code part and it will be automatically copied, then just paste (cntrl + v for a pc or command + v for a mac) the code, done

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
See the image code I'm referring to on the last row? Just click in the yellowish code part and it will be automatically copied, then just paste (cntrl + v for a pc or command + v for a mac) the code, done
I'm going to give it try. Thanks again.

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 PM

After spending last summer with my RC, it's time to make some changes.

- Go over the rear end and make sure nothings bent (was ran into hard last year by a SV on my last ride. He wasn't paying attention)
- Remove the Erions and install Sato Ti low's
- Fit TurnOne Scoops (it ran very hot last summer - 215F+ all the time, no matter speed, temps and rpms)
- Fit the SPAL fan and remove the two stockers
- Fit the Woodcraft rearsets
- Fix the front turn signal wiring and install some Protons
- Install SS clutch line
- Complete fluid flush (brake/clutch/oil/coolant)
- Replace all the nackered and mismatched bolts (All of the fastners for the body work have stripped heads)
- Fit a 520 converstion kit (undecided on what to go with, running 530 w/ 15/40. Most likely AFAM or Renthal with DID ERV3)
- Change the front brake pads (some unknown brand in there - Carbon Lorraine's to be installed)
- Get to Hord Power for dyno tune (running Thorsten's map, but could always be better)

My problem is it's too cold to work in the garage here, plus with a 4 month old running around, it's tough to get some time. I should have a nice full weekend in March when the kiddo and wife head out of town.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

Hope this posted

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
What's on the list of mods? Cam? Pistons? Stroke?

I wish 51's were as easy to mod as CRFs LOL. You can rebuild the to top end of my crf450 for next to nothing compared to our big twin.
Tell me about it, I miss my 450 everyday. Had a cam, athena 490 kit... was a monster. I've been thinking about a new one with FI to use as a street sumo

For the RC, Hord is working on my heads, I was thinkin pistons but will likely hold off until next winter. Airbox, maybe a snorkel, and a good tune. Suspension is up in the air, not sure which route I want to take just yet. Main goal now is to strip it down and clean everything, new bearings, chain, tires, etc.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

I good a really good deal on a crf450r and decided to have a go at building my first sumo. I can't believe how much cheaper it is for well anything on these bikes.

Hoping to rebuild the motor sometime in the future (bigger piston, better head valves, cam) still doing the research. It's rumored that the engine has had some work done on it, but I haven't really dove that deep into it yet. I just mostly wanna get out and ride at the moment.

All I have left to do it at the lighting kit, lights, convert rims to tubeless, respoke rear rims, true both rims, and spoon on some new Pirelli's and she done.

EBC and Front Excel Rim Avon Slick (soon to go bye bye)

Sunline Triple Tree and OS Bar

Rear Excel and Renthal Sprocket also has old chain which is now gone

I've since:
Rebuilt Carb and added a quick shot replaced all vent tubes
Added some Carbon Fiber Bits
Replaced Throttle and Clutch Cables
Added a new clutch perch
Renthal Kevlar Grips
Added Goodridge SS rear brake line from an R1
Painted all body work (Flat Black)
Painted Rear Brake Bracket and Guard with rim coat (Black)
Trail Tech Vapor Stealth Black
Boyesen Clutch Cover
UFO panther headlight
Repacked FMF exhaust
Magura Front Braided line
Pirelli Diablo Tire
Excel Takasago Rims
Replaced all cables beside hotstart
Quickshot added to carb
Hinson Clutch something (haven't taken cover off to look yet)
Possible engine work (also haven't checked yet)
Titanium bolts on all front brake components
Renthal Front and Rear Sprockets
RK 520XSO chain
Epic Chain Supermoto Slider
MSR Chain Slider
UFO fork protectors
Race tech emulators front and rear (not installed someone sold me them for $35 so why not)
Redid seat cover (black and white)
UNI air filter
Bike also has a full FMF titanium powerbomb header and titanium FMF can and mid pipe

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto

Last edited by Doughnut Spaghetti; 02-23-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode