Pirelli Diablo or Pilot Power - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 12:18 AM

Pirelli Diablo or Pilot Power

OK.. I've searched the site extensively in trying to make a decision on which tire to put on.

I spend most time on Michigan roads (straight, not too twisty), and occassional trips to the track. I'm not that fast at the track so ultimate performace isn't top priority. I'm especially concerned with wet traction- for those rare times I do get caught in rain.

BTW.. I'm thinking the regular Diablo, not Corsa. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 04:00 AM

Re: Pirelli Diablo or Pilot Power (bigtime)

I've put about 5000km on my standard Diablo's so far and would have to say they're pretty good. Good grip hot or cold, and they heat up pretty quickly. Wet weather grip is pretty good but the rear is easily overcome with power and spins fairly easily. In the dry I've gotten the rear to squirm a few times under power, but only under hard cornering acceleration. The front is rock solid unless you're jamming on it. I've locked the front on a couple little stoppy attempts, but I think it's mainly due to the road being very hot and the tires extremely hot making it a bit slick. But generally, they're awesome tires with good longevity and good grip. I'll get at least 10,000km out of them which is nice

Pilot Powers I've only had experience with once (04 R1 track day) and they were THE SHIT! But, they won't last because they're very soft. 5000-6000km if you're an aggressive rider. Track days will kill them. When the 04 R1 was released in Australia the journalists tore them up in a single day.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 06:07 AM

I've run 5 or 6 sets of Diablos as street tires and they're a great all around tire IMO. Good wet traction, good dry grip, and decent mileage for a sport tire.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 06:41 AM

PILOT POWERS!!!!!!!!!!!

all i have to say ...

Phenomenal grip; quickly reaches optimum temperature

Maximum lean angle in the dry: 50.6°

Rubber mix remains soft even at lower temperatures, providing excellent grip throughout your ride.

All in all ur either gonna go cheap on tires (not saying diablos are) and eat shit or buy the powers and love every second on ur RC!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:20 AM

I am running the Pirrelli Dragon Super Corsa's. I know...I know. You do not need all that tire for the road...but the price that I got them for throught my shop was to good to pass. I wanted to run the Powers. The shop that I work at is selling those really good. I would go with the Powers for the street.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:42 AM

Pilot Power, no question! I have a set on my R6 racebike. The grip is outstanding. I am going through corners picking up my knee as the lean angle increases. Wear is outstanding. After a full track day the tires look barely scuffed-in! The rear tends to slide very slightly coming out of slow corners when getting on the gas hard and at high RPM, but it is completely predictable.

I even used them in my first SuperSport race of the season with the CRA over the weekend of 21-22 May. I ran near the front of the group throughout the race when everyone else was on full D.O.T. spec race tires. The Pilot Powers make me wonder why I bought D.O.T.'s??
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 06:41 AM

Re: Pirelli Diablo or Pilot Power (bladerunner)

I don't like my Diablos much, never got used to the profile and have had the front end wash out twise. corsas are a bit crappy in the wet for me. I want to try 014's
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 01:57 PM

I recently switched to the Pilot Power from the Diablo Corsa. My first impressions were: I hated the Power. There was no front end feedback and they were not very confidence inspiring despite the fact that I was using almost all of the rear tire. So I fiddled with front and rear rebound and compression settings and voila. The front end feel is back and the side grip is incredible. Did I say incredible? I meant phenomenal!

The Corsa took less setup time. Front end feel was great but very harsh over bumps. I tried adjusting the suspension but I could not dial it out. The rear ride was also a bit harsh but not as bad as the front. Side grip is very good but, in my opinion, not as good as the Power.

Both are great tires. The Michelin are a bit less expensive, and for my riding style, inspire even more confidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode