No fuel pump with HRC basic racer harness - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

No fuel pump with HRC basic racer harness

I installed a basic racer harness in my SP2 track bike.

Everything looks ok and powers up, but the fuel pump relay does not close. I can run the low side of the relay coil to ground and the pump starts.

I have tried 2 different bank angle sensors, to no avail.

Is there an anti-theft diode that needs to be jumpered in to enable the fuel pump in the ECU when you eliminate the ignition key switch, with a stock ECU?

I'm trying to load up for the track with my new baby, and she won't start! It ran fine in January, when I brought it home.

I'm about to try wiring the stock harness back in.

thanks.

RC

'02 RC51 track bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Full Spectrum

I would reach out to Damon Stewart. He was really helpful with this issue for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 PM

I converted my track bike to kill switch only over the winter using the information in this post from Damon. I'm not using the basic racer harness, but I did remove most of the extra street wiring.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to RC51Stunna
Where did you pick up your HRC harness?

Any pictures of your trackbike?

Sorry I dont have any info to help you out but I am in the market for an HRC sp2 kit harness and ecu.

Stunna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys. This is killin' me.

I have the basic racer wiring diagram. I've done a pin-pin comparison on every wire in it with the SP1 and SP2 wiring diagrams.

I redrew the circuits with the bank angle sensor, bank angle relay and fuel cut relay on the street harnesses and the bank angle sensor and fuel cut relay on the race harness.

The race harness is already wired with no key switch. The kill switch turns all of the power on and off.

The gauges come on. No codes are stored. the FI light goes out. It should run.

The street and race harness both ultimately require pin A8 to go low, controlled by the ECU. It isn't going low. I plugged in the street harness and now it doesn't work either.

I'm about ready to run the bank angle sensor green wire to ground as it is on the street harness. Fuel pump will be always on, when the power is on. Not sure the ECU will like no sgnal at pin 8.

I gotta ride tomorrow!!

PS - stunna I'll get some pictures up. Not in the mood right now...

'02 RC51 track bike
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

OK. I got fuel pump actvation with the stock harness.

Now I get to pull the race harness out and install the stock one, check everything out. Test ride, load up, drive 3 1/2 hours, have a beer and get some sleep.

Hope I don't forget anything important...

'02 RC51 track bike
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Full Spectrum

You could always jump the bank angle sensor and be done with it...

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 PM

How do you jump the bank angle sensor?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Full Spectrum

there are three pins on that connector. connect the outside 2 together.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm an Alcoholic... YAY!!

Send a message via AIM to heavyzee Send a message via Yahoo to heavyzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-p View Post
You could always jump the bank angle sensor and be done with it...

+1 not necessary to run a bank angle sensor......
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 AM
WSMC #51, CVRA #51

I removed my bank angle sensor as well. I suspected it was causing me some issues but later found out it was a loose pin in the ECU connector (Pin A8).

Its possible to kill your engine in a crash with out the bank angle sensor.

If Pin A8 is not going low for two seconds after you power the bike on, I would check to make sure both B19 is grounded (side stand/clutch interlock) and B18 (Neutral Safety interlock) with the HRC harness.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 AM

What do you mean going low? Are you talking about the voltage?
To bypass the bank angle sensor do you just touch the two out side wires and leave the black with white alone?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:24 AM
WSMC #51, CVRA #51

going low = going to ground. Pin A8 will be Open or have no voltage by it self but rather it pulls a voltage to ground when active. This is ultimately the negative side of the fuel pump relay after it passes through the Bank Angle Sensor. A8 will only go low for 2 seconds after power on then will stay low once the bike is running.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Damn. It got me!

According to Bob Hayashida, there is a resistor/diode hidden somewhere in the wiring harness that sends something like 9.3V to one of the pins on the stock ECU. No fuel pump without it. It's not on any of the wiring diagrams. An anti-theft thing.

So I got the stock wiring harness all stuffed in - not easy with the cooling system in place. She fired right up. Got all the bodywork on, put my helmet on, dropped it in to 1st and PUH, she died. No sidestand switch.

So I lit the tank, remove the airbox, found the connector, taped the switch in the ON position and pugged it in. In the middle of reinstalling the airbox, my dear sweet wife came in to the garage to talk to me. We had a brief conversation, and I went back to my frenzied assembly, as it was now getting to be about 6:00 PM. Put the airbox on and bodywork and took it for a quick spin around the block. Finally got out of town at 8:30 PM.

to be continued...

'02 RC51 track bike
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

So I got to Chico at about 12:30 and ate a few bites and went to bed.Up at 6 AM for coffee and off to Thunderhill.

Had a few finishing details to take care of, so missed the first session and got the bike tech'd.

Went out for the 2nd session. First track day in 3 years, as my last street ride ended badly. So I took my time and got the feel of the bike. Fantastic motorcycle!! Started picking up a bit of corner speed, remember how to ride THill, squirting hard off the corners. Did I mention what a fantastic motorcycle it is?

About 15 minutes in to the seesion, I'm coming hard off turn 7 and go to upshift and the throttle sticks WFO!!! Holy crap, panic brake, off the track at about 9000 RPM in 3rd gear. Bank angle sensor worked like a champ. As me and my baby were mowing the grass on the north 40, I'm thinking "kill switch, kill switch, damn this grass is slippery, I should have hit the kill switch."

to be continued...

'02 RC51 track bike
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Fortunately, I was uninjured and didn't take anybody else out.

My first thought after my slip-n-slide was, "Good, the bike didn't tumble." My next thought was, F$^#, I don't get to ride any more today."

I got the bike back on the stand at lunch break and proceded to survey the damage. Nothing major, but crashes are always expensive!

I lifted the tank and removed the lid to the airbox, and there's the rear intake snorkel, sitting upside-down on the throttle body. The very one I was going to screw down when my wife came out to talk to me. So I twisted throttle and stuck the snorkel in sideways and sure enough, It holds it wide-frckin-open.

Sigh...

'02 RC51 track bike
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Here's a couple photos while things were still good...

'02 RC51 track bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode