Differences in SP1 SP2 carbon air boxes? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Question Differences in SP1 SP2 carbon air boxes?

Does any one know for sure the differences between the SP1 and the SP2 aftermarket air boxes like Thorsten's and turnone's. Will a SP2 air box fit a SP1. Know that each has it's own part number.

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Usual Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Does any one know for sure the differences between the SP1 and the SP2 aftermarket air boxes like Thorsten's and turnone's. Will a SP2 air box fit a SP1. Know that each has it's own part number.
I forget which one will fit both (albeit not as good as the one that's specifically made for that particular model), but I know one will only fit that particular model & the other will fit both. It has to do with the front part of the frame & the differences in terms of the brace behind the head tube.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
...commandeering a beer.

Send a message via MSN to raceghost
umm...I thought it had to do with the heads. Something on the SP2 heads is higher or lower... I beleive the SP2 fits both, but the SP1 will not fit the SP2...

...the "RACEGHOST" always hold's the record.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All thanks to the users on this forum and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

RG Skunkworks current mods: ...scrapped due to funding!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceghost View Post
umm...I thought it had to do with the heads. Something on the SP2 heads is higher or lower... I beleive the SP2 fits both, but the SP1 will not fit the SP2...
I know the holes in the air box where the inlets stick through is bigger on the SP2 because of the bigger throttle bodies.

Russ
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 06:22 AM

I do believe it has something to do with how the frame comes in towards the steering stem, one is narrower than the other.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I know the holes in the air box where the inlets stick through is bigger on the SP2 because of the bigger throttle bodies.
Throttle body size has nothing to do w/ the Durbahn Airbox fitting or not as the airbox fits onto the intake ports which are the same for BOTH SP1 & SP2. The restriction is the SP1 has additional frame bracing where the airbox cradles into the frame. The current release of the Durbahn airbox will fit BOTH the SP1 & SP2, As the additional clearance for the bracing is accounted for. I have one in stock & more on the way as I type from Germany.

Cheers! Josh

Good luck is for novices, bad luck is for everyone. Rely on your skills.....You control em!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Pictures are worth a thousand words !!
It is in fact the SP-2 ,2002-2005 model that has addition gussets on the internal frame spars just behind the steering head.
The two top photos(black frame) are the SP-2 and the bottom photo(silver frame) is the SP-1,these pics should clear things up !!
Attached Images

Last edited by Turnone; 09-11-2008 at 07:56 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 AM

Some pics of the earlier SP-1 Airbox(right) and the later SP-2 design(left) compared side by side.
The different contours on the front and bottom of the Airboxes can be clearly seen in these photos, although the SP-2 Airbox will fit into the 2000-2001 SP-1 the original SP-1 box is a much better fit for that model and has a larger volume(if ya splitting hairs !).
However ,the original designed SP-1 Airbox will not fit into the SP-2 frame.
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM

:twocents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode