Starting trouble 2001 RC - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Starting trouble 2001 RC

Let me give a little background about the bike. It is a 2001 model with Jardine 2-1 and a PCIII and Flapper mod. The Map is a custom map made by the previous owner on a Dynojet. He was a longtime mechanic at a dealership the had one of the nice new dynojets. This was his personal bike so he spent some time making a good map for it. The bike has about 12,000 miles and is very well maintained, stored inside, and 100% reliable. The battery is about 1.5- 2 years old and turns it over pretty well. It is about time for plugs and filters, they should have a few thousand on them bout nothing to bad. The ONLY thing I have noticed with it is that it feels like it needs some choke to start first thing in the morning even if it is warm like around 70 degrees first time for the day. But it has either always been like this or it has at least been a few years like this. I figured it might need a few tweaks on the map but nothing major since it runs so well.

So yesterday I took it out for a short ride. It started fine 1st thing of the day. I rode about 45 minutes a mixture of highway and back roads. Mostly nice easy riding. Because it was just a nice Sunday ride. On the highway I did run it up to about 95 or so but this was a nice calm role into it and it only lasted for a min. or so before my exit. No drama. Stopped at the coffee shop for about 30 min. I went back out and the thing wouldn’t start. Everything looked great, the lights all come on, pump primes engine spins over well but it wouldn’t fire. I was parked on a little bit of a hill so I figured maybe it was low on gas and the gas was not getting picked up. So I went and added a gallon of gas to it. Still nothing. The engine would just spin with a very slight “puffing” noise like MAYBE it was trying to fire just a little. So I went home and came back with a trailer to pick it up about 1.5 hours later. I role the bike to a flat area behind the trailer in order to load it up. Just for the hell of it I thumb the started and the thing fires right up! I drove it up onto the trailer and shut it off. When I get home 30 min later it wont fire again. I stuck it in the garage on the tender and figure I would try again today. I really don’t think it is a battery because I tried a lot at the coffee shop to start it and it kept turning over just fine. It did start to slow down a little but then I stopped trying.

What do you guys think? Is it possible the map is off enough to foul the plugs a enough that it needs a really strong battery to get enough spark? The battery might have spun the motor just fine but not been getting a good hot spark. Is this possibly? What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:53 PM

Mine did that before. It was a pinched wire on the left side up against the rear foot peg arm. Worth a check.

Buy PM's
Don't tase me bro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:19 PM

Well I'd start with all the basics, make sure its getting gas, check the filters and plugs. Worn plugs and clogged air filters will make starting the RC a chore. Are there any "Blinks" from the MIL? Also check for loose connections everywhere, and get some dielectric grease in those connections as well, seals out any moisture.

James.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

I did have all the body work off of it two weeks ago to change all fluids, ect. I have ridded it since then but it is posible something is loose or pinched. i will look into it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:37 PM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMan View Post
Well I'd start with all the basics, make sure its getting gas, check the filters and plugs.
+100

You shouldn't even need the "choke" on at 70* anyway...not even to start it, let alone after it starts.....

Oh.....It's on, Biotch.............
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Well I had it on the battery tender all night. I had a good green light on the charger. When I went to start it was a difficult but I did get it started. It is 75 degrees out and it needed full choke. Also it didn’t really spin it as fast as I think a really fresh battery should. Once I got it started it ran for a minute and I shut it off. It still needed full choke to fire up and it was a little slow. Also I looked on the PCIIIr and even when it was 160 degrees the little green LED was all the way lean at a idle of 1300. Is this normal for the PCIII to show all the way lean at idle?

I am actually going to look into how old the battery is. I usually write the purchase date on the batt in sharpie. But if the battery is bad it seams strange that it will still turn the engine over.

Looks like for now it will be fresh plugs, filter and maybe a battery. Then a trip to the dynojet.
Does this sound right?
PS I will also look it over for loose plugs and skinned wires.
Also no blinking from the "MIL"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM
RC51-less Member

Reload MAP into your PC and try again. If your battery is failing, it may be strong enough to start and run the bike, however WILL effect the PC functions.

Batteries can have voltage but no amps, and an internal short can effect the rest of the bike, although seem to function correctly.

Also, make sure your throttle positioning sensor is zero'd out on the PC as well.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigor View Post
Reload MAP into your PC and try again. If your battery is failing, it may be strong enough to start and run the bike, however WILL effect the PC functions.

Batteries can have voltage but no amps, and an internal short can effect the rest of the bike, although seem to function correctly.

Also, make sure your throttle positioning sensor is zero'd out on the PC as well.

That is interesting about the PC with a weak batt. I know that on some ford trucks they start shifting poorly when the charging system is failing due to the low output. So I guess the low voltage affects different things differently.

Also how do I check the throttle position sensor? I assume it is on the throttle bodies.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51kid View Post
Also how do I check the throttle position sensor? I assume it is on the throttle bodies.
No. The TPS setting in the PC. While you're reloading your map, go to the "tools" section and you'll see it. You may have to reset it, as well.

If you search, I posted up a thread moons ago regarding the exact steps to get to it and resetting it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode