520 chain revisited see pics - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

520 chain revisited see pics

Ok, a while back I expressed my beef with the 520 chain mod.
My original concerns were that it was showing increased signs of wear, stretching most notably.

Now there's this, a busted roller at the master link.
Temper your enthusiasm with the knowledge that I always lube the chain, and it is now garbage with just over 3000k miles on it. Mostly commuting miles.

As a matter of fact I spotted this while I was cleaning and lubing the chain when I got home from work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 AM
ORLY!?1?

Send a message via AIM to Beinggodisgreat
U must be bustin them mad wheelies yo...

No seriously good thing you caught it. Do you just have to replace that master link or what?

'01 RC51 "The ORLY!?1!" (RIP)
'01 RC51 "The YARLY!?1!" (Sold)
'07 BMW R1200S
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Its a DID 520 ERV3. I wonder if I still have the receipt?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beinggodisgreat View Post
U must be bustin them mad wheelies yo...

No seriously good thing you caught it. Do you just have to replace that master link or what?
No wheelies except sometimes on cool down lap, and no rollers on the master link. Just link.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:56 AM

DSUde this happens once in a blue moon and you only need to replace that link. Every motorcycle shop should or could get you one quick. But yes that f-in sucks!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitw wings View Post
DSUde this happens once in a blue moon and you only need to replace that link. Every motorcycle shop should or could get you one quick. But yes that f-in sucks!
Yeah, I thought of that but I wasn't a fan of the 520 for the 51 anyway, so I already ordered a 530 kit in 15/41.
I'm not having some one grind on the chain to shorten it, even though its stretched now. Or add a new section and/or another master link.
The chain as a whole is damaged.

Last edited by macchiato; 05-15-2008 at 06:01 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 AM

Wow, that's some crazy chit.

The only problem I had with the DID 520 ERV3 is the O-rings coming apart on a few links and the over all chain had very minimal stretching. But this is really scary.

Let us know if you ever find out what may have caused this potential catastrophe.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM
ORLY!?1?

Send a message via AIM to Beinggodisgreat
I am checking my chain tonight...

'01 RC51 "The ORLY!?1!" (RIP)
'01 RC51 "The YARLY!?1!" (Sold)
'07 BMW R1200S
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchiato View Post
Yeah, I thought of that but I wasn't a fan of the 520 for the 51 anyway, so I already ordered a 530 kit in 15/41.
I'm not having some one grind on the chain to shorten it, even though its stretched now. Or add a new section and/or another master link.
The chain as a whole is damaged.
Well if you would have bought your parts from me I not only could have gotten you a great deal but I might have been able to get it replaced for free.

I have been running 520 kits for the last 15 years on everything I own and no problems even on the RC51.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 PM

I'm running the same chain this year. Could a small rock do that if it got jammed between the sprocket and chain? Ive never seen that happen to any chain before. Just great, now I have to watch my master rivet job (first time) and the rollers too. Thanks for posting.

Buy PM's
Don't tase me bro

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Shane RC51

My first thought was "who installed the chain"? It's odd that of all the rollers on the chain, the one that breaks is the end link. I'm thinking that whoever cut the chain damaged that roller initially. I'm especially thinking that's the case because you said you're not having someone "grind" the chain to shorten it. Don't get me wrong, I've used a grinder many times to cut links with no problems, but the proper way is to use a $15 chain breaker tool...

Oh, and your chain is not garbage. You can add another link and run 2 master links. You're not racing in AMA, just commuting. You'll have no problems. Do you still have the extra links that were cut off to fit the chain when it was new? Use one of them. I'd be more worried about what damage was done to my sprockets. Doesn't look like much. I'm guessing you're ok...

SP1 - Marchesini wheels - 15/42 - BrakeTech rotors - (fake radial mount) '08 1kRR calipers - blah blah sig masturbation blah...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 AM
half-fast member

It's difficult to be sure from the picture but it appears as if the o-ring is missing from that end of the master link. Maybe the installer forgot it and that let the roller bind more?

Too bad ignorance isn't painful
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
It's difficult to be sure from the picture but it appears as if the o-ring is missing from that end of the master link. Maybe the installer forgot it and that let the roller bind more?
I noticed that too, and wondered if it was destroyed in the process.
I never noticed missing O-ring before, but it is a possibility I didn't spot it.

I'm pretty attentive to my chains though, I've even spotted cracking O rings on stock bikes I've bought used in the past.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR400RR View Post
Well if you would have bought your parts from me I not only could have gotten you a great deal but I might have been able to get it replaced for free.
Seems its always 20/20 but in the future I'll keep you in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR400RR View Post
I have been running 520 kits for the last 15 years on everything I own and no problems even on the RC51.
You know I have too on pleanty of bikes but I'm still over here scratching my head.
Its a puzzle isn't it?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Shane RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannetron View Post

Yeah, I'm seeing that, too. Did the lack of o-ring lead to the damage? Or did the damage kill the o-ring?

IT'S A MYSTERY!!!

SP1 - Marchesini wheels - 15/42 - BrakeTech rotors - (fake radial mount) '08 1kRR calipers - blah blah sig masturbation blah...
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderF4i View Post
My first thought was "who installed the chain"? It's odd that of all the rollers on the chain, the one that breaks is the end link. I'm thinking that whoever cut the chain damaged that roller initially. I'm especially thinking that's the case because you said you're not having someone "grind" the chain to shorten it. Don't get me wrong, I've used a grinder many times to cut links with no problems, but the proper way is to use a $15 chain breaker tool...

Oh, and your chain is not garbage. You can add another link and run 2 master links. You're not racing in AMA, just commuting. You'll have no problems. Do you still have the extra links that were cut off to fit the chain when it was new? Use one of them. I'd be more worried about what damage was done to my sprockets. Doesn't look like much. I'm guessing you're ok...
No grinding or cutting on installation, but I do recall the guys struggling to get the pins on the master link through. It is a possibility it was damaged during the installation. I had it done while in Italy at a little shop that mainly replaces chains and tires.

I like your theory though, its a good bet it could have been damaged during installation.

I'll talk to Scott about reparing it. Scott check your pm box.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode