enduro-type headlight - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
SP-1, SV650, 200EXC

enduro-type headlight

So I'm riding my SP-1 on the street with one of those "clear" aftermarket blinker lights hanging off a wire from under the windshield as a headlight now. As ghetto as it gets, but so is the rest of the bike.

I do have both stock headlights in good condition, and I'm torn between just cutting holes in my race plastics for stockers and mounting them in there somehow, or getting an enduro-type single light setup. I would like to do the latter. But since the bike is actually a street bike and it will be used at night, I need it to actually be functional. A good low beam that works and doesn't blind oncoming traffic, and a reasonable high beam are a must.

Anyone got this kind of thing going? What reflector/bulb did you use?

Dmitry Akhutin WMRRA #843 SV650SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:10 AM

I've got a somewhat similar problem with headlights, except that I don't have any right now only a high beam assembly and bulb. My solution is probably more expensive than you would like. I'm looking at ordering a set of sharkskinz, you know, with the street upper. I just don't know if the stock headlights will mount into the upper properly, but anything's got to be better than what I have now.

I'm very interesting in seeing what everyone else comes up with.

2006 VTX 1300C: custom paint, V+H long shots
2001 RC51 SP1: bad paint, horrible wiring, Scorpion high mounts
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Just mount one of these on your lid. Problem solved...

Helmet Light Kit: MR11 HID Lights - tthelmetHID

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mondial429 Send a message via Skype™ to Mondial429
Would this pic of my setup be of any help?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 PM

Or, would this OEM single headlight setup be more to your liking?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:15 PM

Where did you get that race upper with the oem cutout and does it have the mounts to secure the lamp? That looks outstanding and is what I'm after, I am trying to modify the stock upper to eliminate one lamp which can be done but I would rather have the bellypan set-up myself.

I understand, it's understanding that makes it possible for me to tolerate a person like yourself!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
SP-1, SV650, 200EXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondial429 View Post
Would this pic of my setup be of any help?

In fact that pic is what made me think about going that route.

Do you have a high/low beam with that setup? Are you happy with the amount of light you have out of it?

So far it looks like there are a few options for getting reasonable light setup out of one reflector:

- find a suitable reflector setup like the one you have, this is what I was hoping to get some help with
- cut the race plastic and install stock low beam reflector, but put a dual-filament bulb in there for hi/lo beam
- yoyodyne sells a setup that would probably be reasonably easy to install ($200). If only I could find out what reflector they're using...

I will probably put some effort into getting what I really want, McCulloch HID kit with hi/lo beam and an appropriate round reflector. That will take some work but hey why not.

Dmitry Akhutin WMRRA #843 SV650SS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball View Post
Where did you get that race upper with the oem cutout and does it have the mounts to secure the lamp? That looks outstanding and is what I'm after, I am trying to modify the stock upper to eliminate one lamp which can be done but I would rather have the bellypan set-up myself.
I made the OEM setup for a buddy of mine.
Unfortunately, there are no mounting points as such. He said he was going to do it.
I'll see how much is involved in setting up the OEM headlight and i'll get back to you.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakh View Post
In fact that pic is what made me think about going that route.

Do you have a high/low beam with that setup? Are you happy with the amount of light you have out of it?

So far it looks like there are a few options for getting reasonable light setup out of one reflector:

- find a suitable reflector setup like the one you have, this is what I was hoping to get some help with
- cut the race plastic and install stock low beam reflector, but put a dual-filament bulb in there for hi/lo beam
- yoyodyne sells a setup that would probably be reasonably easy to install ($200). If only I could find out what reflector they're using...

I will probably put some effort into getting what I really want, McCulloch HID kit with hi/lo beam and an appropriate round reflector. That will take some work but hey why not.
This setup has a high/low beam arrangement.
I prefer to run the high beam, as it does get more attention, but having said that, the low beam is quite adequate.
This light is from a CBR250RR. I picked it up at the wreckers a while ago.
As this is my first setup with this arrangement, i'm still fine tuning the fit and adjustability.
I'll keep you all posted when i've completed everything.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode