Fine gradient feeler gauge - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Fine gradient feeler gauge

Hi.

Seems my valve clearances are out, but difficult for me to see if they're within the tolerances as my gauge only measures 0.10mm, 0.15mm, 0.20mm, 0.30mm.

I need to measure 0.16mm +- 0.03mm (0.13mm - 0.19mm) and 0.31mm +- 0.03mm (0.28mm - 0.34mm).

I'm looking for one with very fine measurements (increases of 0.01mm if possible) from about 0.10mm to 0.35mm.

Anyone know of any, and where I might get them?

Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:26 PM

To convert from MM to .oo1 inch is (.039 X .16= .006") and (.039 x .31 = .012") Just get a standard feeler gauge. Tolerance is .001".
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't follow.

I need 0.16 +- 0.03 on the intakes.

I cannot fit a 0.15

I can fit a 0.10

If I could find a 0.13 feeler and it fit, I'd shut up shop.

Unless I really need to I don't want to remove cams, remove shims, measure shims, calculate new shims, order new shims, wait for part, fit new shims!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Hey Terry,

He's not having that problem, his problem IS he's got a cheapie feeler gauge that has only 4 Blades!

Hey WhipHubley,

Take yourself down to Sears, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, NAPA, Snap-On truck, MAC Tools truck, Home Depot, Lowe's... Any one of these stores WILL have them, do you need anymore information as to where YOU can buy a "Nice Feeler Gauge" set?... LOL

Peace Maverick
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Yes please. I live in the UK.

It's made by Draper - so it's not cheap.

I need fine gradients from 0.10 to 0.35mm, preferably 0.01 gradients around the 0.16 and 0.31 range.

Thanks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:17 AM

Here you go Whip and there in the UK

Dual Feeler Gauges

I'd go with this one if it was for me

Feeler Gauge 26 Blade Offset Dual Marked Sealey VS515
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Nice one - thanks.

But this looks perfect (from your link)...

32 Blade Dual Reading Combination Feeler Gauge 19613 Draper 4620

As it has 0.13, 0.15, 0.18 and 0.28, 0.30, 0.33mm feelers - perfect for these clearances!

Thing is - and I fully admit this is the first time I've done this - to calculate the new shim size I need an accurate measurement of what the clearance is at the moment.

If the inlet is meant to be 0.16 +- 0.03 and I can't fit a 0.15 then it's clearly on the tight side.

But with the calculation...

A = (B - C) + D

A: New shim thickness

B: Recorded valve clearance

C: Specified valve clearance

D: Old shim thickness

...what value would you give to B, if you only had feelers of 0.10, 0.15 and 0.20 to work with?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:50 AM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipHubley View Post
Nice one - thanks.

But this looks perfect (from your link)...

32 Blade Dual Reading Combination Feeler Gauge 19613 Draper 4620

As it has 0.13, 0.15, 0.18 and 0.28, 0.30, 0.33mm feelers - perfect for these clearances!

Thing is - and I fully admit this is the first time I've done this - to calculate the new shim size I need an accurate measurement of what the clearance is at the moment.

If the inlet is meant to be 0.16 +- 0.03 and I can't fit a 0.15 then it's clearly on the tight side.

But with the calculation...

A = (B - C) + D

A: New shim thickness

B: Recorded valve clearance

C: Specified valve clearance

D: Old shim thickness

...what value would you give to B, if you only had feelers of 0.10, 0.15 and 0.20 to work with?

DON"T do it!.. Do Not give it a value just to Guess-estimate... Wait until You get Your NEW Feeler Gauges and then get the readings\ie Numbers... then You can figure it all out Oh yeah.. My :twocents

By the way Bro., I did NOT mean to sound snutty.. by putting down Your tools... it was just what I had pictured in my mind.. a feeler gauge with only 4 blades... Well, even You can see My point,... I Hope.

Peace Jeff

PS. FWIW and or FYI, When I "Tried to Use the formula in the service manual... I could NOT figure out Shit!.. So I just used my own way to figure out the shims I needed and it worked Perfect!.. Okay, so don't get hung up on the manuals formula... I Hope this Helps....?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Mav.

Your're right, they weren't accurate enough.

Yesterday I managed to find feelers with 0.13, 0.15, 0.18, 0.28, 0.30, 0.33 on them so was able to be more accurate.

Annoying thing was that my micrometer measured the shims as slightly different than the size written on them - so I decided to believe the micrometer!

Anyhow, they were practically all on the tight side so I'm happy to err on the looser side in my calculations.

Just need to order the shims now and put it all back together :-)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 AM
TOP GUN Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipHubley View Post
Cheers Mav.

Your're right, they weren't accurate enough.

Yesterday I managed to find feelers with 0.13, 0.15, 0.18, 0.28, 0.30, 0.33 on them so was able to be more accurate.

Annoying thing was that my micrometer measured the shims as slightly different than the size written on them - so I decided to believe the micrometer!

Anyhow, they were practically all on the tight side so I'm happy to err on the looser side in my calculations.

Just need to order the shims now and put it all back together :-)
Hey WhipHubley,

Check with your MC dealership(s) to see IF they have an exchange program for the shims,... That's what I did here, they got some of my shims in exchange for acouple of theirs and $5. or $6.00 per shim

That way you are not having to spend a fortune on shims, unless You want to that is and have shims sitting around collecting dust..

I Hope it works out for You,

Peace
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 AM

Guys I found out some interesting news today, are shims are the same ones used in the CRF 450 R and F so most bikes shops will tons of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode