pointer on changing spark plugs '05 RC - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

pointer on changing spark plugs '05 RC

could use some pointers on how to change my Spark plugs on my 2005 RC51. Cars are different then bikes....
i don't want to **** up basically. my bike has over 18,000 miles and i think i should replace the plugs.

let me know peeps thanks in advance.

ciao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

a web site or something that shows how to do it would be useful
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 PM

There is really nothing to it. It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly, all you have to do is prop the tank up a little bit to get to the back one. The front plug is right behind the front tire. Pull the wires off, get a spark plug socket with a little extension and the rest is easy.

02 RC51
04 ZX-10R

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Damn Asshat

18k miles??????????????

they are in need of a change. you will be amazed how much better it runs.

front is real easy, back is a little tricky, take off tail and prop tank up fairly easy job once you do it, it gets easier.

04 RC51

President of The Troy Bayless Haterz Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:19 PM

You do not need to remove the tail. I did not have any problems. Just have to remove the two screws so it can pop out a bit when the tank is raised. thats all.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 AM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRC51 View Post
You do not need to remove the tail. I did not have any problems. Just have to remove the two screws so it can pop out a bit when the tank is raised. thats all.
That's a +1 there mang., I did the samething, removed the 2 side screws right at the fuel cell, put a 100%cotton rag between the fuel cell and the cowl and raised slowly...
Side Bar- Chuck... Have You not got the messages that I've Called!...

18,000 miles! Wholey CRAP Dude! TXRC51fatboy is right, You WILL be amazed once you've install NEW Spark Plugs!... I change mine like every 4,000 miles, 6,000 at the most!

Spark Plugs set at 13ftlbs.... DO NOT Over Tighten the plugs!

I have to say though man, I'm really concerned about you doing this JOB.... When you are asking about how to do it or "Tips or whatever the case maybe.. My god bro., there spark plugs...

IF You don't have one (sounds like you don't ) Get Yourself a HONDA OEM Service manual!

Peace Maverick
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 AM

compressed air to blow out the plug cavities before removing old plugs would be a good idea.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 AM

Pick up a 10mm ratchet wrench to use on the rear along with the tool kit plug socket. It's a breeze to do it that way!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Sub-average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blink View Post
compressed air to blow out the plug cavities before removing old plugs would be a good idea.
Couldn't agree more.

2005 VTR SP2 - Not stock.
1989 RC31 - Not very stock, either.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

thanks fellows.

10mm ratchet wrench and blow dust off before removing the plugs.

btw it does run funny at 18,000 miles +

i'll pick up some plugs over at CycleGear in town.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Sub-average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMPYRE View Post
blow dust off before removing the plugs.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I recommend going crazy with the compressed air before plug removal. There was more than just *dust* in my plug holes, and I cringed to think that all of that debris would've fallen into the combustion chamber had I not blown it all out. Can you imagine the damage!?

Yeah, so...blow it out.

2005 VTR SP2 - Not stock.
1989 RC31 - Not very stock, either.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 PM

One last thing you need to is when you tighten the spark plugs, loose them back up and retighten them again. That's why they come with crush washers. Spark plugs have a bad habit of coming loose from the vibration of the motor. Good luck bud.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRC51 View Post
One last thing you need to is when you tighten the spark plugs,Drink a beer,Will maybe not,loose them back up and retighten them again. That's why they come with crush washers. Spark plugs and hose clamps have a bad habit of coming loose from the vibration of the motor. Good luck bud.
Fixed it,For you.Take your time,It will be fine.

" border="0" />04 RC51,Sato rearsets,Sato lows,Sato Ti hangers,Scotts Damper,Flapper,PCIIIUSB & Hub & LCD,K&N,15/42,Goodridge,CRG,SCORE= Deer-O,RC51-2,R1-1
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

and yes what a difference it makes with new plugs cleaned airfilters and a valve adjustment. like new :P
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 AM

im glad he posted this up.. i gotta change my oil next week and im gonna go ahead and do the spark plugs too.. hell... while im at it i might go ahead and pull off the forks and send them off to LE. I really dont wanna be without a bike for a month though.

I need to get a track bike already.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

get a second RC
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMPYRE View Post
Thanks everyone

and yes what a difference it makes with new plugs cleaned airfilters and a valve adjustment. like new :P
You did you valve adjustments at the same time? Good work.

I'm doing those right now, and it's certainly a bit tricker than changing the plugs!
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
im glad he posted this up.. i gotta change my oil next week and im gonna go ahead and do the spark plugs too.. hell... while im at it i might go ahead and pull off the forks and send them off to LE. I really dont wanna be without a bike for a month though.

I need to get a track bike already.
Send them to Dan Kyle and he'll turn them in 3 days usually. You won't believe how good they work after he does his magic on them!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 PM

IIRC when I had my RC apart after I wrecked last time, it seemed to me like the tank would be a bitch to prop up because of those short ass lines underneath that attach to the part that you prop up. Maybe my shit is just routed weird or something but that rear spark plug is going to be a mother****er to replace if i am right

--brandon
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM

Don't worry, it's not that bad. Yeah the lines are kinda short and the tank won't go up to far, but there is space. I didn't think it would be possible either, but I started working on it and managed to find the ratchet and extension that fit. You might have to go through a little trial and error, but it's pretty easy.

02 RC51
04 ZX-10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode