sprockets... - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

sprockets...

I was just wondering what kind of tooth count combinations people are running out there. I have stock srockets right now but it is time to replace them, and I'm not sure if I want to go stock again! I do not race the bike either, and everyone knows, I don't need to go stupidly fast! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtago View Post
I was just wondering what kind of tooth count combinations people are running out there. I have stock srockets right now but it is time to replace them, and I'm not sure if I want to go stock again! I do not race the bike either, and everyone knows, I don't need to go stupidly fast! Thanks
I run a 15/42 520 pitch, just what I like.

Team WFO Komodo
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to dhdrider
Psst, here is some worthwhile reading: ROGUE RC51 Owners Group of United Enthusiasts (click on the "Mods" section. )

Gearing specific link: ROGUE RC51 Common Gearing

"Nice jacket, Kevin." - Nicky Hayden

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to thatkindasux
i also run a 15/42/520, its a bit steep, great for around town etc, but if you want better gas mileage and lower highway RPM go for a 15/41.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Gold Sponsor

Most run 15/41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Duc hunter

15/42 with a 190/55.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderJr View Post
15/42 with a 190/55.
Me too and best combo to date for canyons and occasional track.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 AM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Right now I'm running 16/42... However I also run 16/40, 41, and 43.
It's so easy to play around with the final gearing like this.. I say... Why Not Play!?
I'm sure Scott will not have any problem selling you "EXTRA" rear sprockets....

Peace
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Amateur PiG Wrestler

Question 15/42 Pathfinder

Quote:
15/42 with a 190/55.
How's that workin' out for ya? My rig is track specific and there are certian turns where 1st is too high, and 2nd is too low (grunting)...

ROUGE states that dropping 1 in the front is nearly = to upping 3 on the rear... I don't want to jack with the swing arm distance too much...

BTW, I'm running 190s

Thanks...

DReaux

2000 RC51
SN 000008
2 Bros/PCIII/Flapped/Paired/Soft Rev'd
15 HP worth of stickers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to drsus
15/41 is the best set up.. i went through the 42 set up... too much.

do go to 520 chain while you at it.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:04 AM
Amateur PiG Wrestler

15/41 it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsus View Post
15/41 is the best set up.. i went through the 42 set up... too much.

do go to 520 chain while you at it.
Much thanks for the response and info...

Holy Lean Angle Batman!!!!
That's a frikkin SWEET avatar... lookin' tight.

DReaux

2000 RC51
SN 000008
2 Bros/PCIII/Flapped/Paired/Soft Rev'd
15 HP worth of stickers

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Duc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReaux View Post
How's that workin' out for ya? My rig is track specific and there are certian turns where 1st is too high, and 2nd is too low (grunting)...

ROUGE states that dropping 1 in the front is nearly = to upping 3 on the rear... I don't want to jack with the swing arm distance too much...

BTW, I'm running 190s

Thanks...

DReaux
To be honest, it just got switched. I was running 15/40 with the 190/55 and just didn't feel like +1 in the rear was gonna be an appreciable difference. The bike isn't street legal at the moment for good back-road testing, but we'll see how it fares at MSR-Cresson (short track) this coming Sunday. It's fairly tight and twisty, so it should be easy to tell if the 15/42 combo is just right or too much. Will report back with results.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for all of the insight. I think I will have to play around a little bit to see what I like the most. This really helps!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:35 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Quote:
To be honest, it just got switched. I was running 15/40 with the 190/55 and just didn't feel like +1 in the rear was gonna be an appreciable difference. The bike isn't street legal at the moment for good back-road testing, but we'll see how it fares at MSR-Cresson (short track) this coming Sunday. It's fairly tight and twisty, so it should be easy to tell if the 15/42 combo is just right or too much. Will report back with results.

Hey PathfinderJr,

FWIW and or FYI, changing the front sprocket from 16 to 15 IS = to of a change closer to 3 teeth bigger but to be more exact the change IS = to 2.666666 teeth bigger! Your final drive gearing, from 16\40 or 2.5 to 15\40 is 2.6666, this is = to a change that under NORMAL Circumstances YOU Would MOST Definitely would have noticed a differance while pulling away from a STOP... However You have installed a Rear tire that IS Quite a bit bigger in dia., So I would say with this in mind.. Your gearing change is = to +\- nothing
Had You kept running the 190\50 You WOULD notice there is just NO Way you wouldn't... LOL
So NOW because of that Big Aszz tire of yours.... You SHOULD get atleast a 42 if not a 43 rear sprocket! This WILL Help you now while Also keeping the 15 on the front.

I Hope this Helps...

Peace Maverick
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-998 View Post
Me too and best combo to date for canyons and occasional track.

Hey Ex-998, Your 190\55X17 Combo... What brand and model tire please?

And this goes for you too PathfinderJr, what Brand and model tire please?

I'm just trying to see what You all are rolling on in the 55 series that's all..

Peace
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Nice Member

not to totally thread jack this but.... im thinking of changing my front to a 15t. the chain has about 3k on it, but isn't showing stretch(reading the swing arm label) and i know this is supposed to be a no go, change the whole set-up. question is has anyone ever changed just the front and not the chain and rear?

fast, cheap, reliable.... pick 2

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK View Post

I'm just trying to see what You all are rolling on in the 55 series that's all..

Peace
Currently, I'm running Michelin Power Race and they will slightly touch the bottom rear fairing when on the kick stand. Once the bike is upright, it clears the fairing without a problem.

I've also ran Bridgestone 002 Racing and those clear the bottom of the fairing by a fraction of a millimeter. Same thing, once the bike is upright, it won't touch the fairing at all.

They don't make any more 002's, they're up to 003's. I imagine the profile is similar.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 AM
http://www.moli.com/rc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
not to totally thread jack this but.... im thinking of changing my front to a 15t. the chain has about 3k on it, but isn't showing stretch(reading the swing arm label) and i know this is supposed to be a no go, change the whole set-up. question is has anyone ever changed just the front and not the chain and rear?
Changing just the chain or either of the sprockets singularly is not that big of a deal so long as the wear on the other 2 items isn't noticable. With only 3k on the chain, the chain should still be next to new. If the sprockets only have 3k, they should be in excellent shape as well. However, if the sprockets are older than the chain, the sprockets should have been inspected for wear during the last chain swap. If the sprocket(s) are currrently showing some wear, then I advise on chaging out the worn sprocket(s) now before they cause unever wear on the chain. :twocents

Mass is your worst enemy, skill is your best weapon.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Duc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK View Post

Peace
Currently running the Pilot Power 2CT's. The rear tire clears the track bodywork underneath (Tromex brand, the ones off eBay. So far so good I must admit...), and is about .75" away from the front of the swingarm. I put some tape on the swingarm and ran the bike up to ~130mph before Sunday to check if it'd rub due to tire growth, but it didn't appear to be an issue.

And yeah, for the pretty twisty track of the 1.7 portion of MSR-Cresson, the 15/42 gearing seemed great. I'll be headed to Texas World Speedway on Memorial Day, so we'll see how it fares on a more open track. I'm thinking the 15/42 is where I'll stay, especially as how this bike will still see the street every now and then.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Nice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlaRC51 View Post
Changing just the chain or either of the sprockets singularly is not that big of a deal so long as the wear on the other 2 items isn't noticable. With only 3k on the chain, the chain should still be next to new. If the sprockets only have 3k, they should be in excellent shape as well. However, if the sprockets are older than the chain, the sprockets should have been inspected for wear during the last chain swap. If the sprocket(s) are currrently showing some wear, then I advise on chaging out the worn sprocket(s) now before they cause unever wear on the chain. :twocents
thanx i was kinda thinkn that. now to figure how to take the slave off and get to it. is there any thing to removing the slave? guess i can always search

fast, cheap, reliable.... pick 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode