Front mount Rad/lower fairing problem - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Front mount Rad/lower fairing problem

Got them on but can't get the (Sharkskinz) lower on. It looks like I have to cut all the front of the lower out. Does anyone have them mounted without cutting out the front of the lower fairing?

03 RC, Sato Banzai, Brembo Master Cylinder, PC111r, Flapper mod, Pair mod,Scotts Damper, Braided Lines, 520 15/41, Sharkskinz Race Plastics, More To Come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:45 AM
WSMC #51, CVRA #51

That sounds normal.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Jusyt can't get everything to fit!!!

I messed with the oil lines for two days and got the right length and fitting angles.
I used the smaller battery with thorstens carbon relocater.
I got everything as in as tight as I could.
I cut the fairing out in front.
But still can't get the lower on smothly without pushing and scratching.
I'm def going to get a smaller oil cooler in the future but this setp is supposed to fit.
Does anyone see something I don't?
Attached Images

03 RC, Sato Banzai, Brembo Master Cylinder, PC111r, Flapper mod, Pair mod,Scotts Damper, Braided Lines, 520 15/41, Sharkskinz Race Plastics, More To Come

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 PM

Looks like the battery box is holding it off some. I think it's normal to have to cut away most of the lower front fairing for this mod. But, that does look a little too far forward on the bottom.

BTW... love your "shop"! Man after my own heart.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm an Alcoholic... YAY!!

Send a message via AIM to heavyzee Send a message via Yahoo to heavyzee
I agree w/ terry... when i send u the brackets this week, i send u my mark-up battery bracket. you can try, see if things fit better with it... as i have no need for it

u did a nice job with those hoses... are they causing you problems..?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Full Spectrum

That is just the way the KYAR kit is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Gold Sponsor

I can't help with your problem, but i just wanted to say that bike is looking sharp. Keep up the good work. BTW, i don't think its much of a big deal to cut out the front of the lower either. I've always run my RC(s) without the front damn. Helps the bike stay cooler, can reduce temps more quickly in the city driving, and saves my legs from feeling like they are getting burned. Oh, and keeps the fuel in the tank cooler.<--noticed the fuel tank went from being 'hot' during a long ride to being 'mildly warm' to 'cool'.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 06:52 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!

Hey AVR89,

I replied this morning and then I Erased it because I wasn't sure of what I was talking about... As I do NOT have "Front mount Rads." However the CRAZY thing is... everything I pointed out that I thought I remembered... I Did actually Remember!
In this picture you will see the FRIST thing that I had pointed out..

#1,Your oil cooler line that is going up the back of the side rad., I wouldn't do it like this, as You're Blocking some air flow there! :twocents Look at the pic. above.. The front Oil Cooler Line is angled Up and Over the oil filter and run up between the side water rad. and the oil cooler connecting up top.

#2 I noticed even though it is really hard to see in your pic. it looks like you're runnning the bottom radi. hose out around the bottom of the oil cooler,..? Don't do that... run it under and connect between the side rad., and oil cooler..?

#3, you are going to HAVE TO.. by the looks of (again) your pic., How in the World will you ever connect the front upper rad. to the side rad.,?
Your side rad. needs to move back (can't move it back with your oil cooler line,= means relocate said oil cooler line) and or the Front rad. Needs to move forward.

#4, The last thing I Know You should do and that is no matter what you need to put a shorter bolt in the side of the side rad., next to oil cooler line(post#3 picture #3) as that will most likely hit the fairing...

I Hope this helps.

Peace Jeff

PS. I can see these rads. are diff. from yours, however oil cooler line should still be redirected.. so it runs UP Over the oil filter then up between the coolers.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaugator View Post
Looks like the battery box is holding it off some. I think it's normal to have to cut away most of the lower front fairing for this mod. But, that does look a little too far forward on the bottom.

BTW... love your "shop"! Man after my own heart.
Yeah, It's reall tight by the battery with not much room. I cut the whole front of the lower, it's the sides of the fairing that are rubbing.
When you have no garage the computer room becomes a garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyzee View Post
I agree w/ terry... when i send u the brackets this week, i send u my mark-up battery bracket. you can try, see if things fit better with it... as i have no need for it

u did a nice job with those hoses... are they causing you problems..?
I'll def give it a try. The lines came out good but I don't like how everything is touching/rubbing. That can't be good with all the vibration of this V-twin. Thanks for the hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varium View Post
I can't help with your problem, but i just wanted to say that bike is looking sharp. Keep up the good work. BTW, i don't think its much of a big deal to cut out the front of the lower either. I've always run my RC(s) without the front damn. Helps the bike stay cooler, can reduce temps more quickly in the city driving, and saves my legs from feeling like they are getting burned. Oh, and keeps the fuel in the tank cooler.<--noticed the fuel tank went from being 'hot' during a long ride to being 'mildly warm' to 'cool'.
Thanks a lot buddy. Appreciate the compliment. I got a lot of help from HeavyZee, and I'm running his race harness!
I must say I've learned a ton on this site from all the guys here and it's insipred me to do all this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK View Post

Hey AVR89,

I replied this morning and then I Erased it because I wasn't sure of what I was talking about... As I do NOT have "Front mount Rads." However the CRAZY thing is... everything I pointed out that I thought I remembered... I Did actually Remember!
In this picture you will see the FRIST thing that I had pointed out..

#1,Your oil cooler line that is going up the back of the side rad., I wouldn't do it like this, as You're Blocking some air flow there! :twocents Look at the pic. above.. The front Oil Cooler Line is angled Up and Over the oil filter and run up between the side water rad. and the oil cooler connecting up top.

Yeah I don't like that it's touching. But the oil filter area is all jamed up with the starter relay. What I have to do is get a shorter oil cooler this way I can maybe run the line behind the header once I heat wrap it.

#2 I noticed even though it is really hard to see in your pic. it looks like you're runnning the bottom radi. hose out around the bottom of the oil cooler,..? Don't do that... run it under and connect between the side rad., and oil cooler..?

I"m not running it like that, just threw it on there for a minute. It won't even fit. It would get in the way of the fairing. The oil cooler is pretty much touching the fairing as is.

#3, you are going to HAVE TO.. by the looks of (again) your pic., How in the World will you ever connect the front upper rad. to the side rad.,?
Your side rad. needs to move back (can't move it back with your oil cooler line,= means relocate said oil cooler line) and or the Front rad. Needs to move forward.

#4, The last thing I Know You should do and that is no matter what you need to put a shorter bolt in the side of the side rad., next to oil cooler line(post#3 picture #3) as that will most likely hit the fairing...

Yeah again I just threw it on to hold in place. I'll be doing some changes and tightening.
Thanks for all the imput, Ill mess around a bit and post more pics when I'm DONE.

Peace Jeff

PS. I can see these rads. are diff. from yours, however oil cooler line should still be redirected.. so it runs UP Over the oil filter then up between the coolers.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-p View Post
That is just the way the KYAR kit is.
Yeah with the race harness and battery relocation it's pretty tight. What brand of oil cooler did you change to? I looked around a bit (Earl's and Setrab) but not sure what to go with. And how small is too small?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 AM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Hey AVR89,

Other then the "KYAR" set-up, which I think comes with a oil cooler..?

I thought ALL the guys that have the front mount rads. were running their OEM oil cooler, Yes\No?
So this is a First for me about this as I've never heard anyone else have a problem with their "Oil Cooler" size..

Jason & Will, & (I know there's a mess of others, I just can't think who at the moment)
are you guys not running with the OEM oil cooler?

Just trying to Help AVR89 here, with alittle more input..

Peace
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mondial429 Send a message via Skype™ to Mondial429
Here are some pics of my setup that may help.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM

Theose pics are treasure...

Life is beautiful...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Full Spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR89 View Post
Yeah with the race harness and battery relocation it's pretty tight. What brand of oil cooler did you change to? I looked around a bit (Earl's and Setrab) but not sure what to go with. And how small is too small?
Just seeing this now...

My oil cooler is hand built, one off.

I was using a Earls before that and it worked great...until I ruined it with metal shavings from my grenade....

You could easily get away with the 8x3 Earls (or Setrab) as they are way more effecient than the stock one, as well as being larger. I used the 13x3 as it was available locally.

In truth, I think that the stock one may in fact be adequate if you can manage to get the lines sorted out.

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR89 View Post
Got them on but can't get the (Sharkskinz) lower on. It looks like I have to cut all the front of the lower out. Does anyone have them mounted without cutting out the front of the lower fairing?
Did you ever get that oil cooler to fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode