So, one day.... - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
View Poll Results: Have you had any issues with your RC51?
Yes, I've had Major issues. 4 4.00%
Yes, I've had Minor issues. 22 22.00%
No, I've had neither. Bike has been pretty much perfect. 74 74.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

So, one day....

I decided to make a poll to see what sort of issues people had on their Ducati 1098 and 1098S.

Apparently people got really sensitive about it, and said the poll is usesless and if someone doesn't like it they should just sell the Duc and be done with it.

I personally thought it was useful to see how many people were having issues. Even if it wasn't 'entirely' accurate. It gave me a little insight; and that's not a bad thing.

So, as a former RC owner- having had two of them, I'd like to see who's had issues with their RC's.

It's a simple poll, either Yes, major/minor or No. You can elaborate more about specifics if you wish.

...but I have a hunch about this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Two RC51's and one small low side.

ZERO ISSUES with the bike.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to jazz Send a message via MSN to jazz
Not had any issues as such (touching wood I don't have any this season either!) a couple of off's nothing too major that hasn't stopped the racing

To be honest, we all know that spending money in the right places on the RC's it is and still is a competitive bike . What it lacks on straight line speed, it makes up twice going into, half way through and exiting a corner!

happy as a pig in shit with mine...

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

life should be measured not by the amount of breathes you take but by the amount of times you breath is
taken away.........

You begin your riding career with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.....

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
5 hondas/ 15 years 1 issue. rectifier on my viffer. come to think of it, . . I did have a head light burn out once though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:49 PM

I love my pieced together, x-stunter, highsided, lowsided RC51!
I haved tipped it over on another RC51, high sided going 35, previous owner has dumped on both sides doing wheelies and stoppies and it has always barked for more! Now my 94CBR had some rectifier issues I thought would pop up with the RC but I was dead wrong. Both bikes have been great to me and helped me develop a deep rrot for future Honda purchases. I even like the new CBR 1K now!

By the way, the new CBR 1K looks amazing in track skins and was light as hell at the motorcycle show.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

1098 forum is heating up. What a bunch of f***ing cry babies....

So defensive are they about their precious bike!

good greif, I'm buying a bike owned by cry babies....
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
ORLY!?1?

Send a message via AIM to Beinggodisgreat
I've had a few minor issues so far all because of what the shop who sold me the bike did to it. Not because of the bike thoguh...

'01 RC51 "The ORLY!?1!" (RIP)
'01 RC51 "The YARLY!?1!" (Sold)
'07 BMW R1200S
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Shane RC51

Only issue I've had is with the water pump cover. There are two metal tubes soldered into it. The lower one came apart at speed and dumped coolant all over my rear tire. The rubber hose was still attached and the hose clamp held on. The metal tube just came loose from the cover. Bought another one for about $70 with a new gasket and all is well...

PS - Mine is a 2000 SP1 with over 33,000 miles...

SP1 - Marchesini wheels - 15/42 - BrakeTech rotors - (fake radial mount) '08 1kRR calipers - blah blah sig masturbation blah...
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
you're not Irish...

Send a message via Yahoo to Dansrc51
a few minor issues, mostly due to fueling. other then that, it runs like a honda!

'
'
'
'
argue on the internet?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 PM

Rock Solid. Absolutely no issues even thought I abuse it quite a it.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 PM

i had a hose clamp come alittle lose once

03 51
00 51 trackbike
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 PM

UMM when i rode on the street i had a kick stand issue ( broke off )

and on the track bike i split my cam shaft.. guess some of you guys dont ride hard enough to have issues lol
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:59 AM

8,700 miles and I've gone through two sets of tires...what a piece of junk!

'04 RC-51

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Joeitall

On my 3rd RC51 &
had with one of them, is one time coming back from lunch break & the track, I saw a hot babe on my bike & one standing next to it wanting picture with it .

Well that wasn't the problem, the problem was my wife was with me

Other than that just one freak problem with the clutch doing a timed run during speed week on the Bonneville Salt Flats

Made the best rated track in the world for me (OK coincidentally built just as I moved here

Riding & racing for 39 years Street, MX, Desert, TT, sportbikes, Drag, Dual Sport, & SM.
currently racing SM & Sportbike racing @ MMP.
Bikes I own currently-too many to list.
currently racing my '05 RC51 & my '06 KTM 625smc, XR 650R SM, & pitster 125 SM.

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 PM

I have owned close to thirty bikes, I have sold Ducatis for a living at a big, 'well respected' dealership and have met many, many Ducati owners. I could write an entire book on the subject at hand. You would be amazed at what really goes on at Ducati.
Ducati does offer a good emplyee purchase program, 10% under dealer cost if bought directly from DNA. All I will say is I still bought the RC51. Itis such a better bike in EVERY way and of all the bike I have owned I must say, by far the best and will NEVER be sold. It does not need regular valve adjustment, special oils, or labor rates close to $100 per hour.
There. I have said to much already

Thank for listening,
Dan
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaurkraut View Post
I have owned close to thirty bikes, I have sold Ducatis for a living at a big, 'well respected' dealership and have met many, many Ducati owners. I could write an entire book on the subject at hand. You would be amazed at what really goes on at Ducati.
Ducati does offer a good emplyee purchase program, 10% under dealer cost if bought directly from DNA. All I will say is I still bought the RC51. Itis such a better bike in EVERY way and of all the bike I have owned I must say, by far the best and will NEVER be sold. It does not need regular valve adjustment, special oils, or labor rates close to $100 per hour.
There. I have said to much already

Thank for listening,
Dan

Well now, that pretty much puts the "." at the end of the sentance!!

Speaks loudly about Ducati.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your stories.....
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM

in 30000kms all i've had was a coil go bad. got another one for free and that is the end of it.

had a BIG crash a couple seasons ago and even then the bike came out on top, she was good as new for about a grand.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:28 AM

My race bike dropped a valve. That would be major in my book. however, this was after who knows how many race / track miles.

'07 SV650, '04 FZ1, '02 RC51, '97 XR400, '85 XR4Ti
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
I need a tail light bulb..seriously

oh ya the factory map/exhaust was junk what a pyle of crap

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 03:52 AM
Hen Pecked

The RC...none yet, in 5K & 1 year of ownership. Oh wait, it gets hot in traffic because it's rally a race bike that isn't supposed to be waiting for anyone. BTW, like every VFR owner, only the RR was ever a prob. in 8yrs of ownership.

My friend with the brandy new 1098 has been back to the dealer 2 times and is due back again, prolly for a new ECU 'cause it keeps stalling. His 998 is sweet to ride though! That's the one that got me hooked on the twins. It's a bit of a maint. hassle as well, though.

Stopping threads dead in their tracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode