Any experience in getting a new key? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan Denise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Behind In His Steering...

Question Any experience in getting a new key?

I need to get a spare or two, since the bike only came with one from the P.O. I always keep a spare somewhere when on the road, in case the unthinkable happens.

Has anyone gone through the process?
Do our friendly, talented, well-informed local Honda dealers do it?
Is it better to order a blank and have a hardware store cut it?
Anything quirky, like the damn proximity chip in some VFRs?

2000 RC51 ~ 2014 Duc Multistrada~2013 Corvette Grand Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm an Alcoholic... YAY!!

Send a message via AIM to heavyzee Send a message via Yahoo to heavyzee
go to a key store u can get one for like $1.48
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyzee View Post
go to a key store u can get one for like $1.48
Wait....whadya mean, exactly?
1) Do you mean a typical locksmith shop, or do you mean a typical hardware store? A locksmith is a good bet, but a hardware store is easier to get to. Have you actually had an RC key made somewhere?
2) Do you mean our key ain't fancy at all, and the basic blank isn't a "Honda only" pattern?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:11 PM
qwiksilver119

I currently work in parts at a Honda dealer and you would be better off just getting a blank and having it cut by a locksmith or hardware store. Sometimes you can have a key cut using a code on the ignition switch, but it can turn into a pain in the ass. The VFR does not use a chip or anything like that.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 12:35 AM
SP-1, SV650, 200EXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post
Wait....whadya mean, exactly?
1) Do you mean a typical locksmith shop, or do you mean a typical hardware store? A locksmith is a good bet, but a hardware store is easier to get to. Have you actually had an RC key made somewhere?
2) Do you mean our key ain't fancy at all, and the basic blank isn't a "Honda only" pattern?
For referece, both keys I have for my bike don't look like original H parts and are quite basic. So looks like a good locksmith shop should have them.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm an Alcoholic... YAY!!

Send a message via AIM to heavyzee Send a message via Yahoo to heavyzee
i got my key cut at a key and lock shop, but i'd put good money on you being able to get it at a hardware store
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 PM

Honda dealership will do it if you prove ownership which means having vehicle permit (pink slip) and your ID. But since there doesn't seem to be anything fancy about the keys, a competent hardware store should be able to cut new ones waaaaaay cheaper.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

From all of your answers, it's pretty clear that any locksmith can make a copy with no problem if he has a correct blank at hand. I'll get a blank OEM Honda key (about $6) and have a spare made that way.

As for the VFR keys with security built in, there are some bikes (probably from overseas only) with H.I.S.S--Honda Ignition Security System. I've never personally seen one in all my dealings with VFRs, but on the forums I've heard of guys getting stranded because of them. You can tell that the system is there from a HISS decal on the tank where the ususal warning stickers are. It features a proximity coil antenna in the black plastic ring around the keyhole that senses the chip in the key. If these two things match, the ECU is happy and the bike starts. Sounds like something else to go wrong to me....I'll stick with a disc lock!

Anyway, thanks for all the good advice on getting a key made.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:22 AM

i had to have a key made a couple months ago when i lost the only key that came with the bike.
i called the local dealership,and they claimed to have no way of cutting the key based off the VIN number,or any other method other than having an original to copy.
i ended up pulling the trunk lock off and a locksmith shop matched the key off the number imprinted on the cylinder and cut it in about five minutes for a couple bucks.pretty simple.

also,a couple years ago,i tried getting a duplicate key made at Wal-Mart so i'd have a backup(not like i'd ever actually need it).they don't have the proper blank to do it.not sure if your average key cutting place would either,since it's basically like an ATV size key.
Chris

'02 RC.HID conversion,all LED lights,carbon bits,Mig exhaust....complete ricer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNextGenChris View Post
i ended up pulling the trunk lock off and a locksmith shop matched the key off the number imprinted on the cylinder and cut it in about five minutes for a couple bucks.pretty simple.
Chris
That's some very good info to know, thanks. Never thought of the trunk cylinder as a "donor" for keymaking!!

I just got off the phone with a VFR buddy of mine, and he wanted some tankbag spares so he simply went to the local Ace hardward store one day, and the old guy flipped thru his cabinet of blanks and said "Whelp, it ain't gonna have that-there fancy black plastic Honda thing on the end there, but I got it." A few bucks and he was out of there. The surprising thing is that a VFR key is about 12 inches long or so...well, maybe only 3, but it looks unusual to me.

So, the moral of the story is.....get some spares before you need 'em! I ordered two blanks from RonAyers.com and any hardware store can cut a new key from them.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 05:51 AM
calculating status...

Quote:
The surprising thing is that a VFR key is about 12 inches long or so...well, maybe only 3
Ya, so is the 919 key. Why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RxRC; 11-17-2007 at 04:13 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Pull my finger!

I keep a spare key to each vehicle (2) and my home in my wallet. I had them cut at the hardware store. Since they are really thin, I just tucked them away and never have to worry about losing a key.

Every time I lose the key to the RC, I find that I've left it in the undertail lock. I don't know why I can't remember to take the damn thing out of there. Maybe senility is setting in.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM
ORLY!?1?

Send a message via AIM to Beinggodisgreat
I got two spares made for 3$ at the honda dealership...

'01 RC51 "The ORLY!?1!" (RIP)
'01 RC51 "The YARLY!?1!" (Sold)
'07 BMW R1200S
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Situation....OVER!

I took my new $6 OEM Honda blanks (with the Honda logo in the black plastic, bought from RonAyers.com) to my friendly local Ace hardware.....and they had all kinds of plain Honda, Suzook, Kaw, Yami, and HD blanks in stock, and possibly more, depending on the needed blank. They certainly had the RC blanks right there, for about $1.50 plus cutting. Damn!!!! Anyway, now I have two spares. One hidden on the bike, one at home. Perfect!

So now we know: most hardware stores or locksmith shops can easily match your OEM Honda key if you have one with you. Soooo.....if you're down to one key and you DON'T have a spare made...shame on ya!

Last edited by Trace; 11-24-2007 at 01:47 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:07 AM

I hope you got a new key if not then you must call to Locksmith ,they will send their professional and they made you new key.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I need to get a spare or two, since the bike only came with one from the P.O. I always keep a spare somewhere when on the road, in case the unthinkable happens.

Has anyone gone through the process?
Do our friendly, talented, well-informed local Honda dealers do it?
Is it better to order a blank and have a hardware store cut it?
Anything quirky, like the damn proximity chip in some VFRs?
What kind of bike is it? Depending on the vehicle, the bike may be able to program the new key. If not, check with area Locksmiths, one of them might have the tool.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Jeeeez....how did this eight year old thread get resurrected? In my final post--on November 24th, 2007--I mentioned that the OEM Honda blanks I got (from Ron Ayers) were easily cut by the local hardware store, and that they had "Ace" brand blanks right there. Nothing fancy about the RC's key.

If you have one, just go have some spares made....now, before you need 'em.

If you DON'T have one, take your seat latch cylinder to a locksmith and they can easily make a new original....assuming your seat latch is the same as your triple's cylinder.

Okay, I'm done with this thread!

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beinggodisgreat View Post
I got two spares made for 3$ at the honda dealership...
I am shocked that you have got two spares at cheap because no dealer offers at such cost. I got mine from locksmith new york at $21 but i would love to get from the dealer.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:23 AM

Red face

There are different reasons people might want their car keys replaced. Such reasons could be the loss of car keys, broken car keys, lock out of car incidence, faulty car locks, transponder key problems, etc. Car keys design has become more sophisticated making it more difficult for car theft to breaking in. For these reasons, the old style metal keys are being faced-out and replaced by modern smart keys that are hard if not impossible to duplicate.Locksmith Queens can make a replacement key for an older car at an affordable price. Do not wait to misplace the original key before you make a replacement copy.
Mobil1 likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Red face

There are different reasons people might want their car keys replaced. Such reasons could be the loss of car keys, broken car keys, lock out of car incidence, faulty car locks, transponder key problems, etc. Car keys design has become more sophisticated making it more difficult for car theft to breaking in. For these reasons, the old style metal keys are being faced-out and replaced by modern smart keys that are hard if not impossible to duplicate.Locksmith Queens can make a replacement key for an older car at an affordable price. Do not wait to misplace the original key before you make a replacement copy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode