post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:15 PM

Unless you're going on the dyno for a custom map and you need
the A/F ratio, why bother doing the PAIR mod? It doesn't make
the bike any faster ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I miss Vegas... :(

It's worth it just for getting rid of all the clutter.

2004 Honda RC51 (Gone), Sato Carbon Banzais, Black Sato Rearsets, Sato Frame Sliders, Scotts Damper, Ohlins R&T Forks W/ Superbike Valves, Ohlins Shock, Dan Kyle Link, Carbon Rad fins, Galfer SS brake lines front & rear, HRC Brake Pads, PCIIIUSB (DK Map), Vortex 42T Rear Sprocket, PAIR system removed, Flapper removed, Soft Rev removed, Corbin Seat, Puig screen, Rad Fan Mod, Undertail, CRG Levers, Vortex Clip-ons, Scotts Extended aluminum kick stand, Stomp Grip, Carbon Hugger, Shorai Battery.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:27 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck51 View Post
Unless you're going on the dyno for a custom map and you need
the A/F ratio, why bother doing the PAIR mod? It doesn't make
the bike any faster ....

True, but gets rid of alittle weight, and most of all, (for me anyhow) gets rid of a CRAP LOAD of a mess of hoses! From the engine compartment.

I hope this helps

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadRC51 View Post
It's worth it just for getting rid of all the clutter.
They say, "Great Minds think alike"! Hehehehehe
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 PM

Did the valve covers get removed in this mod? If so, it is very easy to overlook the alignment and of those washers that go with the odd shaped valve cover bolts. If one thing is wrong with those washers it will create a poor seal and that is all it takes to turn the RC engine into a good HD like gusher. The service manual is very specific about what bolt and washer goes where and how much to torque everything. It doesn't take much to mess it up. I speak from experience. When I put my 00 Rc engine back together after a transmission overhaul, the only error I made was overlooking the details of those valve cover bolts and their accompanying washers. As a result, and I suspected it would happen because I could see that the gasket was not getting a good equal seal, was a massive oil leak immediately after the initial start up.

I retraced my steps, found the what I thought to be an insignificant washer, installed it to the T as the manual described, and the leak is gone.

I hope this is remotely related to your issues and helps you out. If not, then at least those who tackle things like this in the future will no know that RC valve covers are nothing at all like a typical car/truck/SUV valve cover... they require extra attention to detail and are very sensitive to the slightest miss step in reinstallation.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 PM

Apparently it helps get rid of the popping with aftermarket pipes when you roll off the throttle also - definitely made a diff on mine.

Area51racer - shit that was a good time for Boston, really good - especially in the crap weather we had this year - way to go!

ROb
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
getting back in the game

The valve cover did not come off, but thanks for the tip. I reconnected the case breather to the air box, I hope that will relieve the pressure and stop the leak. I looked at Varium's post and I may have to chat with him to see what exactly he did to stop his leak. It was something to do with O rings under the pair cover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always bet on black
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passenger 57 View Post
The valve cover did not come off, but thanks for the tip. I reconnected the case breather to the air box, I hope that will relieve the pressure and stop the leak. I looked at Varium's post and I may have to chat with him to see what exactly he did to stop his leak. It was something to do with O rings under the pair cover.
If you didn't take off your valve cover and your bike was running fine before then its not what they were talking about in Varium's thread. The O-ring they're talking about fits around a hollow metal dowel that goes between the valve cover and the head. Its hollow because its where the air goes from the pair system into the exhaust. And the o-ring keeps oil out of the pair system. You would have had to remove your valve cover to have done anything with that o-ring.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 05:33 PM
VTR1000SP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke51 View Post
If you didn't take off your valve cover and your bike was running fine before then its not what they were talking about in Varium's thread. The O-ring they're talking about fits around a hollow metal dowel that goes between the valve cover and the head. Its hollow because its where the air goes from the pair system into the exhaust. And the o-ring keeps oil out of the pair system. You would have had to remove your valve cover to have done anything with that o-ring.
Exactly ! I had thesame problem with my SP1
It was smoking oil and the airbox was very greasy.

One of the O-rings went missing and the guy at the stealership forgot to put it back !
I found out when I took the engine apart to check why it was smoking/using up oil.....

see the attached pic
Attached Images

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
getting back in the game

I see...

Thanks for the pic! Well its not an O ring issue, I'll take the bike out this weekend and see what happens. Cross your fingers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always bet on black
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 PM

My observant and experienced eye tells me that [email protected] has removed his cam silencing gears. Anyone else notice that. Just wondering
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passenger 57 View Post
Can you possibly send me to Varium's post? I might be having a problem with my o rings but cant find his post.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:18 AM

Not to try to hijack the OP's thread, but I just did the PAIR mod last week. When I did it, I left the flame arrestor and check valve in place and simply sealed the hose fitting on the check valve covers. I'm assuming that's acceptable and will seal properly. Yes?

When I reassembled it, I used a bike inner tube to seal all the holes but reattached the stock airbox drain. Again, this is acceptable, correct?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode