Speedzilla Forums banner

question about hugger...

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Jsstritz 
#1 ·
call me crazy but does the RC51 come with a stock hugger??? mine didnt have one when i bought it used and since im installing a mototeck undertail for xmas, i started thinkin about the hugger situation...

did they come with one stock and im just missing mine?

if not, then what would everyone recommend. i do NOT like the kinds with the built in chain guard...i think they're too tacky. i prefer just a hugger. thanks! :)

#5 ·
A 600rr will work,Have to drill one hole at the front,I would install a threadsert in to that hole,Cost is about $10.00,looks good too.

#9 ·
Jsstritz said:
call me crazy but does the RC51 come with a stock hugger??? mine didnt have one when i bought it used and since im installing a mototeck undertail for xmas, i started thinkin about the hugger situation...

did they come with one stock and im just missing mine?

if not, then what would everyone recommend. i do NOT like the kinds with the built in chain guard...i think they're too tacky. i prefer just a hugger. thanks! :)
The 2004 Honda CBR600RR rear fender hugger fits best and MRGRN made me a custom carbon copy of it and it's a lot better of a deal them the one from Magical racing.

#10 ·
CBR400RR said:
The 2004 Honda CBR600RR rear fender hugger fits best and MRGRN made me a custom carbon copy of it and it's a lot better of a deal them the one from Magical racing.
While its less expensive and Mark does do good work. Its not on the same level as the ones from Magical Racing. The ones from magical are a direct bolt on. You dont have to drill into your swingarm. They also ride the tire a bit better and I personally think the design is nicer looking the the 600rr conversion one. I have both and prefer look of the magical design. Of course you do pay a premium for the magical hugger.

I also have a carbon hugger from Thorsten. Its super light. Id say maybe 1/4 the weight of the other carbon one I hav eon my bike now. The only problem with his is you have to fab up a bracket to mount it and I never did that.

Magical Design

Thorsten Design

600 RR converson (not the carbon one from mrgrn which will certainly have a nicer look.)

#11 ·
wow point made. that magical one is HOT! what a great fit! i asked the dude in the forsale forum the exact price for a black plastic magical one. waiting for him to post up. im prob fine with the cbr one as i can get a new one for 12 bucks, but i do like the idea of eliminating the chain guard and having one look stock without drilling my swing arm.

does anyone have pics of a cbr hugger on their swingarm?

#12 ·
Jsstritz said:
wow point made. that magical one is HOT! what a great fit! i asked the dude in the forsale forum the exact price for a black plastic magical one. waiting for him to post up. im prob fine with the cbr one as i can get a new one for 12 bucks, but i do like the idea of eliminating the chain guard and having one look stock without drilling my swing arm.

does anyone have pics of a cbr hugger on their swingarm?
I pretty much went the direction I did for the same reason you are. I wanted a single piece as opposed to two pieces. This photo isnt great but you can make out the CBR 600 RR hugger just to the left of the midpipe. I dont have anything better as I dont have it on my bike anymore. It certainly did the job fine but it doesnt look as good as the carbon one I have now.

#13 ·
so the only whole drilled was the one at 12 oclock right? (if youre looking at the back of the bike straight on). can i just use the honda oem screw and bushing for this? also, i can see the one screw being the one for the chain guard but what about the third hole on the other side? where is that screw coming from or going into?

#14 ·
Jsstritz said:
so the only whole drilled was the one at 12 oclock right? (if youre looking at the back of the bike straight on). can i just use the honda oem screw and bushing for this? also, i can see the one screw being the one for the chain guard but what about the third hole on the other side? where is that screw coming from or going into?
Yes one hole had to be drilled. The other two are already there. One is at the end of the chain guard and the other is where the brake line bracket is attached.
Id imagine you can use any bolt as long as it fits into the threads of the well nut in the hole. I had an issue with this when I lost one of the originals that were used and I had to buy a replacement.

#19 ·
EvilTwin-05 said:
Turn in your RC51 members card right friggin NOW. You know this bike can turn?

:woot:
Well that was the day I brought it home. The guy before me beat it a bit. I actually wish I kept the tire just to show it. Of course the dust and the tip of the hugger do make it look worse then it was but it was still bad. The photo with the carbon hugger is more accurate of how I ride. However Ill be the first to admit a lot of people here are much better riders then I am. If you want a photo of the rear that I have worn myself I can get it for you this weekend:)

#24 ·
whelp....simonkobe never got back to me so i just ordered the Magical Racing hugger for my SP2 directly from them. i hope to get it by the end of next week for when i install the Mototek undertail. ill post pics once im done. I just ordered it in black plastic and it will cost roughly 185 bucks...not bad considering its a direct bolt on and doesnt involve any modifying of the swing arm (something i did NOT want to have to do/drill). The hotbodies huggers run for pretty much the same cost and i feel im getting a better product. ill post pics and a little review once i install :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.