slipping clutch - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

slipping clutch

Hi Guy's,i got my 02 sp1 in feb this year with 8000 miles on the clock it had no power commander, standard 16 tooth front sproket.It now has the commander on with a 15 sproket and has now done 11500 miles....The problem i am getting to is that it sounds like the clutch mabe slipping,Any ideas how long they are suposed to last ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 PM

What kind of sounds are you getting? Also the life of the clutch depends on how you treat it. I would think that if you change your oil regulary and don't clutch the front wheel up everwhere you ride that it should last longer than 12k miles. You may have glazed the plates which happened to my SV before I had purchased it. When the motor and clutch was cold it would "Chatter" some times until it got warm. My SV only had 2k miles on it at that time and now I have close to 15k and she still rides like a champ and no problems with the clutch this far.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for RC51 Service Manuals and other helpful info!

Memphis Static's Old RC: 2004 rc51 sato low mounts, pcIIIusb, 15/41,flapper valve, air filter, gp shifting, hot bodies undertail, flushmount blinkers, matching tank guard....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

there is no clattering noise ,no wheelies off the clutch,oil gets changed regulary,the only noise i am getting is when i open her up hard it just sounds like its slipping,(it could just be my hearing giving me s**t or old age)the clutch also only bites when the leaver is nearly right out....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Cool 1st Off 2002 RC51

Is a SP2!

2nd, I don't understand HOW anyone could NOT know when their clutch IS slipping or NOT You have a "tach" on that MC don't you!....??? Here's the answer to your question, next ride when you know about where you think you have the problem, just before look at your Tach, then hit the gas, if your tach readings RPM's start jumping up faster then you are accelerating, well then your clutch is slipping, if not it's not.

I Hope This Helps....

Peace Jeff
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi Jeff,i will give it a try thanks
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:02 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Cool Sp2...

You got it, let us know what you see/hear

Oh yeah, why are you calling her SP1?

Peace Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo's sp1
Hi Jeff,i will give it a try thanks
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

because thats what it is
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo's sp1
...i got my 02 sp1....
Contradictory statement.

2002 RC51 is an SP-2 (at least in North America. You guys ride on the wrong side of the road so it may be different there. )
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

you are correct 2002 would be an sp-2 over here to but this sp-1 was registered in 2002,not by me but the guy i got it from
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKers
What kind of sounds are you getting? Also the life of the clutch depends on how you treat it. I would think that if you change your oil regulary and don't clutch the front wheel up everwhere you ride that it should last longer than 12k miles. You may have glazed the plates which happened to my SV before I had purchased it. When the motor and clutch was cold it would "Chatter" some times until it got warm. My SV only had 2k miles on it at that time and now I have close to 15k and she still rides like a champ and no problems with the clutch this far.

Only 12k Hell I have 93,000 miles on my Stock clutch from commuting, I dont do too many wheelies and I have had all secheduled services done. My shit doesnt slip at all.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 PM

First of all, what oil did you use last?

I would not rule out you using car oil with friction modifier.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 PM

+1 on the moly in the oil.. it will build up on the clutch plates and cause it to slip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafflebrain

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to dhdrider
It might be your clutch, though. I had a 2000 RC that I turned into a track bike and the previous owner ragged the hell out of it. I am assuming terrible wheelies & starting methods. Several of the clutch plates were broken. You can look at all your clutch plates w/o draining your oil. Just put it on the sidestand and pull the clutch cover. The oil level is well below the bottom of that cover. If you do have broken plates, then you know you have to change your oil anyway.

"Nice jacket, Kevin." - Nicky Hayden
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafflebrain

the last oil change was with a honda dealer when it was serviced in september ....I assume he would know what oil to use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode