exhaust coatings or wrap - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
a83

exhaust coatings or wrap

can someone recommend a place to have the header on my rc coated? i have seen a few pictures of the ones done here & they look great. i was just wondering if anyone could recommend anyone & what there fees are? or should I just wrap the header w/ a wrap? thanks andy

04 RC w/o any silly carbonparts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Cool WRAP & HIGH/TEMP/PAINT

Quite alot of the guys here do the coating thing,...... Me, I like the wrap and high temp. paint better, because I think It insulates better

Never any problems with headers rusting out (like some WILL say ) on 2 different MC's I wraped my VF1000R headers 2 times in like 4/5 years and I only had to rewrap, because I didn't put the time into keeping the high temp. paint on! Maybe respray 1 time a year, should be good...

My :twocents

Peace Jeff
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 PM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a83
can someone recommend a place to have the header on my rc coated? i have seen a few pictures of the ones done here & they look great. i was just wondering if anyone could recommend anyone & what there fees are? or should I just wrap the header w/ a wrap? thanks andy
Header wrap involves removing your header and wrapping it with header wrap that's wet. (much nicer and tighter wrap that way) It then has to dry, (running the engine helps) and the use of stainless ties is helpfull ($15.00 for 8) and stainless safety wire. It didn't take me long to do mine, however, I would have rather had it coated. DEI header wrap is $50 for 50 feet, and It takes about 25' to do a whole header correctly and evenly, if not a tad less.

Jet Hot is a company that coats headers, inside and out, with a ceramic coating (coatings vary) that insulates as well as Heat wrap and doesn't harbor moisture against the pipe.

WHen I called them 3 weeks ago, it was less then $200 to have it done, and the turn around time was less then 10 days. Go to their website, and it'll instruct you to call them and get a customer number. From there, you ship it with a letter and your number, and it's as easy as that.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Ken, (NYCstripes) had his done and it looks great. I'm doing my header over from the wrap just because of the simplicity of the coatings.

Just a tip: Cover the spots you DON'T want coated with duct tape and include that in your letter. Junctions, like where the rear pipe joins the top to the bottom section, inside, is one place. The coating makes it thicker and makes it difficult to get back together. At the head union flanges is another place.

Oh.....It's on, Biotch.............

Last edited by Rigor; 12-12-2006 at 09:39 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Currently: Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigor
WHen I called them 3 weeks ago, it was less then $200 to have it done, and the turn around time was less then 10 days. Go to their website, and it'll instruct you to call them and get a customer number. From there, you ship it with a letter and your number, and it's as easy as that.
Are we ever sending ours out to get coated?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 PM

Excellent advice Dave

I have used DEI header wrap on all sorts of exhaust heat projects ranging from old Jeeps to my race RC51. After the time and effort you put into wrapping exhaust, you will find that a few hundred for a clean ceramic finish is well worth it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 PM

FYI, if you happen to have Ti headers, do not have them coated. That has been said before and will be said again.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Gold Sponsor

If you want i'll trade your stock header plus a little cash and handle shipping for my already coated SP-2 header. Nothing wrong with it. I just don't want to go cutting it all up. Would rather have a stocker to play with.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:23 PM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami6989
Are we ever sending ours out to get coated?
I'm sending mine out to get it coated for YOU. So then, I can do it all over again, for myself.....work-o-holic boy.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Official Player Hater

Send a message via AIM to 06rc
Hey Dave, when are you going to hook me up with a modded front sprocket cover? And by hooking me up I mean sending me one and me sending you back mine when I get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I'm sending mine out to get it coated for YOU. So then, I can do it all over again, for myself.....work-o-holic boy.
Send me the bill?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 AM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami6989
Send me the bill?
Better yet, I'll hand it to you, after I put your header on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rc
Hey Dave, when are you going to hook me up with a modded front sprocket cover? And by hooking me up I mean sending me one and me sending you back mine when I get it.
My general rule of practice is that you send me yours. My turn around time has yet to be longer then 12 hours, from the time I receive it, to when the mod is done, so your down time will be minimal.....

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Official Player Hater

Send a message via AIM to 06rc
Quote:
My general rule of practice is that you send me yours. My turn around time has yet to be longer then 12 hours, from the time I receive it, to when the mod is done, so your down time will be minimal.....
I was just giving you sh*t Dave. I will do it myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Better yet, I'll hand it to you, after I put your header on.
Let me know what hardware/gaskets we need and I'll order them up for us so we can pay cost.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 PM

there is another place here in odessa texas that does it.dont know waht he charges for MC headers,but he charges 150 for chevy small block headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode