Help me to choose - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Help me to choose

The RC8 and 1098 will land on Malaysian soil probably at the same time next year and i am planning to buy a street bike for myself. From what u have read about the 2 bike what will be your choice? I love the look of the 1098 but i dont think i can handle its maintenance compare to the KTM which from what i read is more reliable.Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks..

RC8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

00 RC51
09 BMW HP2
10 MV Agusta F4
10 Aprilia RSV4R Factory
97 Ducati 916
03 RSV Mille
05 Petronas FP1

Last edited by advocatt; 12-10-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to RC51Stunna
Id like to see ANY news that you have found on the RC8s release. Please

Stunna
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Anger managment patient

Sam, from my observations of how often you damage bikes you might want to stay with a honda. However if your dead set on something different get the KTM for the reasons stated above.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 02:01 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Exclamation Well!...???

Sounds like YOU ANSWERED Your OWN question IMO.....

Peace Jeff

PS. How much is the KTM going to cost as compared to the Duc.?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin-05
Sam, from my observations of how often you damage bikes you might want to stay with a honda. However if your dead set on something different get the KTM for the reasons stated above.
haha..i only crashed 3 times bro..

i still have my RC for track..thinking of selling the other RC and the ZZR1200 for one of these..wife no longer want to be pillion so no point of keeping the ZZR..so i dont mind a single seater ..

Local KTM dealer said the RC8 will arrive by end of Jan/Early February 07..the 1098 would arrive by early January..

Local price would be around RM120k..(USD33.3k)..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

00 RC51
09 BMW HP2
10 MV Agusta F4
10 Aprilia RSV4R Factory
97 Ducati 916
03 RSV Mille
05 Petronas FP1

Last edited by advocatt; 12-10-2006 at 03:16 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Street and Track Moderator

I like the Duc!

Matthew
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:11 PM

RC8 all the way. In my opinion it is one of the coolest looking street bikes around. I have never ridden a ktm street bike, but on the dirt scene their 4 stroke thumpers are well respected. I remember seeing a video of the RC8 on a track for testing and it sounded nice.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:12 PM

..(USD33.3k).. phuk me, buy a used 04 600 from every manufacturer that made one...and spend the rest on New gear, tires and Trackdays...probably still have .enough left over to take the Mrs somewhere fancy.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:22 PM

I like the Ducati!!!
What are the maintenance schedules for the KTM?
Checking valves is all that is scary to most on the Ducati, and as of the 998 that got a whole lot easier!
How will the RC8 be in its first year of production. I would wait to see if it were me. :twocents
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phukaduc
..(USD33.3k).. phuk me, buy a used 04 600 from every manufacturer that made one...and spend the rest on New gear, tires and Trackdays...probably still have .enough left over to take the Mrs somewhere fancy.
The prices for the superbikes are not cheap here in Malaysia. Even for the used 04 600, the prices will be in the range of USD13-15K or maybe more.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:23 PM
you're not Irish...

Send a message via Yahoo to Dansrc51
how many of you just googled ktm and rc8? sh!t, the've been holding that ride out in front of us for almost, what, two years now? I've been drooling over it just as long, but as far as price, maint, support, and design goes, I would go with the duc. new design, good factory support and the price is way down on the ducs for this model, from what they have been saying.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:31 PM

Ktm

Spent lots of years racing KTM's in the desert.....not one hicup w/ the engines...my local KTM guy is kinda of a favortie by the company ( he got the 07' F1 inspired 450's 90 days before any other dealer) Anyway he tells me that KTM is goin with 160 + hp for the RC8 & the super duke ( same motor ) will be around 140 hp. That of course may all be BS...but that is what his sources indicate. I also got to see some pretty cool video of the endurance test on the motor. I think both bikes will be TITS...but but right now there is more support & a HUGE aftermarket industry for Ducati. Also Duc has been in the road world for decades.....however if KTM decides to race that beast....

Josh

Good luck is for novices, bad luck is for everyone. Rely on your skills.....You control em!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:40 PM

Two stunning bikes, but from two completely different design paths. That KTM was headed to the MotoGP ranks and it's styling and engineering design backs that up. The Ducati is a Superbike design just like our RC's were when they were being engineered. Ducati is banking on a displacement increase in the superbike rules and went forwards with a great superbike platform. So do you want Motogp inspired KTM or the Superbike focused Ducati? Either way, you will be blessed with a fine bike, that's for sure.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:46 PM
AKA: Krammit the Frodge

Cool my two-and-a-half cents

i think i might be willing to part with a pinky finger for each of them...

ducati... -slobber-

katoom... -slobber-

six in one, half dozen in the other...

(advance caveat... this is my own narrow-minded, 6000-miles-from-home opinion with little access to research materials and limited knowledge on either machine, so please feel free to correct any or all of my points)

...but duc does have a more well-established (existing) support/ maintenance network. at least around pittsburgh pa anyways. i only know of two KTM dealers within an hour of me, and only one of them sells streetbikes. from a service standpoint, i'd be a lot more leery of the KTM, due to the fact that it's a brand-new design so the techs will require training and/or fiddle-time to learn the new engine/ bike whereas the duc, while also a new engine and bike, seems to offer the possibility of a much more accessible maintenance field. also, i know ducati has some dedicated dealerships/ service departments, whereas all two of the KTM shops are kind of afterthought shops that primarily sell stuff from the big four UJM companies. i'd prefer to not have some brand-new 22 year old graduate of MMI working on my 30-some thousand-dollar bike IF i even had that kind of money to shell out on a bike. if you're gonna go with the KTM, i'd at least give them one year to get the kinks worked out of their tooling etc and get a service network spooled up. but then again, i see ducatis on a semi-regular basis, but i can't honestly say i've ever seen a KTM streetbike around me, and since we "twinophiles" seem to like to buck the societal norm to begin with... i'd probably end up with the KTM.

I am convinced my only Saving Grace is that Death has discovered he must catch me first, and I am Faster.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 11:22 PM

why did you post a pic of a photoshopped 1098? those headlights are 600rrs

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
why did you post a pic of a photoshopped 1098? those headlights are 600rrs
good eye
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Technical Specification:
Engine: KTM LC8 engine
Displacement: 999.8cc
Frame: Tubular chromoly space frame
Dry weight: approx. 175 kg
Transmission: 6 gears, dog-clutch engagement
Top speed: 280 km/h

00 RC51
09 BMW HP2
10 MV Agusta F4
10 Aprilia RSV4R Factory
97 Ducati 916
03 RSV Mille
05 Petronas FP1
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 AM
Gold Sponsor

i would stay away from the KTM for one single reason, aftermarket parts or lack there of. you will never get any or wait two years before any cool ones MIGHT show up. If you are like me modding bikes is half the fun:twocents

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Ride red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn
i would stay away from the KTM for one single reason, aftermarket parts or lack there of. you will never get any or wait two years before any cool ones MIGHT show up. If you are like me modding bikes is half the fun:twocents
+1, the KTM sounds like it will be a nice bike but there won't be anything to mod it with for a WHILE!! and the duc is just freaking beautiful, I would get the duc and call it a day. but if it were me I wouldn't get either and I would be getting a japanese i-4, and spending the other 20k on mods

the forum is up please check it out.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

sorry guys..was misinformed by the local dealer..

RC8 is not coming yet...

Quote:
Oppsss..sorry bro, wrong info.. My mistake..Its not RC8 yet, it will be Supermoto 690. Arrive in April.
RC8 not yet in production!
my apologies..

00 RC51
09 BMW HP2
10 MV Agusta F4
10 Aprilia RSV4R Factory
97 Ducati 916
03 RSV Mille
05 Petronas FP1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode