SP1 and SP2 Airbox's - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to jazz Send a message via MSN to jazz
SP1 and SP2 Airbox's

tell me, are they different in size? width ways? (left to right)

I did a search and it's way to late in the day for me to look through 5 pages of airbox.......

I just got in from the garage from doing the Cam gear mod..... holy shit....

What a PITA..... one of the bolts was seized solid in the front head......

couldn't shift it but luckily managed to 'PURSUADE' the front quitening gears off..... hey and it saves 1/2 the time too!

had a look around with the flash light in there and nothing seems to be amiss...

I also ran around with a magnet to make sure that there were no filings in there. The only thing that did happen was the quietening gears bowed a little... nothing major, and I aint keeping them either. Oh I will weigh them also tomorrow/Sunday as I did see on here that someone was a little curious to the actual weight saving...

Ahh well if it screws the engine that's some decent excuse to go big!!!!

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

life should be measured not by the amount of breathes you take but by the amount of times you breath is
taken away.........

You begin your riding career with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Ok since no-one knows about the airbox's I went back to the stock air box and just cut it around a little.

Did I confuse anyone with the last post? Sorry about that, I think I had too many beers that night and couldn't get everything out quick enough so I guess it sounded crap reading back through it.

Anyway, like I said the stock air box is back on now and the cam gears sound sweet. I just fired it back up today!!!!

It really rattles good..... I am in the garage so the exhausts may echo a little but you can definately hear the (lack of) cam gears....

But if anyone does know about the SP1 V's SP2 air box I would like to know.

Nothing else to report.....Oh yes there is...... the bloody battery mod.....hhmmm well I got hold of a YTS7YBTFSFS (or whatever it is) and the bloody thing doesn't kick the engine over. It's charged up etc....think I need to check if it's holding the charge though? starts fine with the original one.....

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

life should be measured not by the amount of breathes you take but by the amount of times you breath is
taken away.........

You begin your riding career with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 06:20 PM

I might be wrong but the two air boxes should be the same dimensions all the way around.

Sounds like you added yourself to the cam gear removal club. Welcome

For the record, the approximate weight loss of that mod is no less than 15 ounces. 16 oz. makes a pound so round up a tick and you have just removed 1 lb. of rotating mass from your cams . You will notice the difference when revving the engine in neutral but once in gear and moving you probably won't notice a difference, just the new sounds.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Cool Openings For The Throttle Bodies?... Yes/No?

OK, 1st off I don't know about the whole airbox thing but it seem to me that at the very least, where the SP1 vs. SP2 WOULD/SHOULD be different would be where it mounts over the throttle bodies, right? Since the SP2 throttle bodies ARE bigger!

Hey area51racer, Man I CAN NOT Believe you have NOT sold your Sato's yet! For that price, I would have thought they'da been sold long ago!!!

I'm saying that because I see you still have them for sale in the bottom of all your posts, WOW! Wholey Crap! NO one want those? Shee's... timing eh?
I'm loving these Arrows bro.---- "Super High Mounts", the complete, slip-on exhaust package, hardware and ALL, weighs LESS than 12lbs Awesome!~

Peace Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51racer
I might be wrong but the two air boxes should be the same dimensions all the way around.

Sounds like you added yourself to the cam gear removal club. Welcome

For the record, the approximate weight loss of that mod is no less than 15 ounces. 16 oz. makes a pound so round up a tick and you have just removed 1 lb. of rotating mass from your cams. You will notice the difference when revving the engine in neutral but once in gear and moving you probably won't notice a difference, just the new sounds.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK
OK, 1st off I don't know about the whole airbox thing but it seem to me that at the very least, where the SP1 vs. SP2 WOULD/SHOULD be different would be where it mounts over the throttle bodies, right? Since the SP2 throttle bodies ARE bigger!
Yep, you are right. Really no difference except for the size of the velocity stacks. (I.D.)

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Great thanks guys.....

So I guess I have the wrong air box.....maybe it's for an 'endurance' gas tank? 8hrs/24hrs that type of endurance....

bigger inside? or maybe a firestorm or something....?

I did a 'dry' run, took out the thermostat etc, and put the throttle bodies in there, they seem in the right place with the airbox etc...

The only problem is the airbox width....it's way to wide for the tank.....that's what made me think it might be an endurance airbox?

I did think about butchering the tank to get it in.... I mean, like denting the underneath of the tank...... I thought otherwise....!

As for the Cam mod.... yeah it's kinda cool to hear that 'bag of spanners' noise and the weigh loss that wasn't an option.....I did it for the noise..!

thanks anyway......

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

taken away.........

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:00 PM

Load i pic up mate, maybe someone can tell you what it's from? As i gather they are a right PITA to instal so you may have the right one after all.......

Oh and if it turns out it is for an SP2 i'll have it off ya!

Rich
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

rich,

I meant to load it today for you.... I will sort it out tomorrow..... If I can remember how to! with measurements (?)

Cheers

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

taken away.........

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Guys here is the airbox in question.... don't know if it helps much.....

Underneath. Where the throttle bodies come through these holes, there is a gap all around there, maybe a 1/2 inch. Looks like there should be some sort of rubber sealer fixed to the holes around there.?

The inside. The throttle bodies sit in there nice. The issue lies here.....

Where I am holding the airbox, if you follow the edge of the box up towards the air filters.....you can see the box flairs outwards both sides just by where the rear stack is. That's where the issue is with the tank. the tank won't go passed there.......with the lid on...

With the lid on.

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

taken away.........

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:21 PM

As soon as the Sato's sell I get to re-think my clever signature. So that means they are still available. I figure a signature is a better way to spread the word about those pipes instead of always having to bump a thread in the classified area. No big deal that they haven't sold yet. They are a great product and either my brother or I will continue to use them on our SP2's but my brother really wants what he used to have, and that would be a set of carbon fiber yoshimuras. Just a preferance thing.

Jazz, glad to see you were after the exclusive sound difference the cam gear mod produces and that you are enjoying it so far. The weight savings is just the icing on the cake sort of thing. Most people shout B.S. when discussing how much those extra gears and parts weight, but put them in a plastic sandwich bag and they will in fact outweight the traditional 12 ounce curl (full beer can ).

That airbox looks like it could have been designed to work with a carbon fiber tank or something aftermarket. That lid seems to almost take the exact shape of the under-tank but I can see how it is just a touch too wide. You could, if you feel up to the task, modify that lid to fit, since the lower part seems to fit well. It would invlove trimming the parts on upper lid that hit and come in with some fiberglass patching and shaping to make it fit. Using fiberglass will ensure it stays light and strong and fiberglass can also be shaped so I would think that option over before hammering the under tank.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51racer

Jazz, glad to see you were after the exclusive sound difference the cam gear mod produces and that you are enjoying it so far. The weight savings is just the icing on the cake sort of thing. Most people shout B.S. when discussing how much those extra gears and parts weight, but put them in a plastic sandwich bag and they will in fact outweight the traditional 12 ounce curl (full beer can ).

That airbox looks like it could have been designed to work with a carbon fiber tank or something aftermarket. That lid seems to almost take the exact shape of the under-tank but I can see how it is just a touch too wide. You could, if you feel up to the task, modify that lid to fit, since the lower part seems to fit well. It would invlove trimming the parts on upper lid that hit and come in with some fiberglass patching and shaping to make it fit. Using fiberglass will ensure it stays light and strong and fiberglass can also be shaped so I would think that option over before hammering the under tank.
Thanks dude. I don't know really what it's for. Although I think you migh be right about cutting the airbox.....

Well as it's winter here I might have a play around with it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

taken away.........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode