cold track day - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

cold track day

hey guys and gals. my first track day coming up and kinda nervous. its gonna be pretty cold. anything i should pack for the weather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Official Player Hater

Send a message via AIM to 06rc
Snow boots and a speedo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Tough Crowd Racing #162

Send a message via AIM to eppy01f4i Send a message via Yahoo to eppy01f4i
How cold is it going to be??? Your in FL can't see it being that cold, I have seen snow on track days before.

I think it's common sense to dress warm, take it easy for 3-4 laps if your not running warmers, and just except the fact that the track will never get up to temp. :twocents

Mark~
10 RSV4 R
04 GSX-R 750
Tough Crowd Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Meatball's Dad

first, define cold...

underarmor for cold weather(uppers and lowers), leathers that are not perforated, turtle neck shirt, still drink lots of fluid, very easy to get dehydrated when its cold.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________
”Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”- Ben Stein

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 12:11 AM

Where is p.c. fl? Are you heading to jennings? Once you get working on the track you will not even notice the cool weather! just make sure your tires are warmed up before you push it too hard!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 12:22 AM

Cold would be under 40Deg F. :twocents

Just warm up the tires for another lap and make sure you have good tires. NOT OLD TIRES.Trust me I know.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

yup jennings. headed out there friday afternoon to camp out. i wont see snow but it'll be around low 30s in the morning which is colder i can handle. ill try to wait till midday to run i guess. thanks guys
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to jazz Send a message via MSN to jazz
Quote:
i wont see snow but it'll be around low 30s

It's That warm in the height of summer here.......

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

life should be measured not by the amount of breathes you take but by the amount of times you breath is
taken away.........

You begin your riding career with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Cold? I bet several other guys on this board that were at an early Summit trackday last year can define cold. How about coming up the backside of Jefferson circuit thru a snow squall? Buring charcoal in your grill after dinner just for warmth at the track...lmao...hope to never see a trackday like that again.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Meatball's Dad

This season's opener at Pocono East with Team Pro-Motion had a chilly start, 28 degrees and an ice storm. Needless to say it was cancelled a couple laps into the day. Never booking April track days at Pocono again...Waiting until May next year unless I go someplace South.
Track photographer took these pics from that morning. It was so cold and rainy that I just had no desire to put my leathers on. Glad I did not. The rain kept coming down and the wind chill turned it into ice in a matter of minutes.
Ken

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________
”Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”- Ben Stein

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 04:35 PM

awesome picture man.

last season, Febuary saw a Sunday Talladega GP WERA race that started and ended with Snow Flurries.

I am a big fan of heated gear. Nothing leeches concentration away from me more than cold. I have a heated vest that keeps me comfortable to ~40 degrees with nothing else on but underarmour and leathers. Less bulk equals more freedom of movement. I use the Widder vest, whole setup runs ~$150, and well worth it. I am thinking about adding on the heated chaps too, but I can already ride well below temps my buddies are willing to ride in, so more gear will just mean more alone time. And nobody to see my super Nicky-esque moves!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 01:56 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Talking Sheee's 30..... Try 21 to 22!..With NO Heated Gear!.. Crazy,

WOW! I'll 2nd that picture! Ken, that looks pretty hairy I mean COLD

I've been on the road 1 time with snow just starting to come down I ride everyday as long as I don't think there's ice on the road. So I've been out in 26degs before coming to work, cold yes it was/IS, OH I don't have any heated gear either! So anyhow 26 was my record until this morning, when I left my house to come to work this morning it was 21/22degs.! You know what, I'LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN! I can NOT believe the pain I was in, ONLY because of my fingers though, but OMG! 10min. into the ride and I was hurting SO Bad
Grabbing my exhaust all the way to work, trying to feel if I was "all of a sudden" going to burn the SHIT out of myself!>??? I NEED heated grips BAD

Peace Jeff
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Anger managment patient

Subtract an average of 1 degree mile per hour after the first 20 mph. So 26* @ 60mph is close to -20*
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:56 PM

The opener last April at Road America had the afternoon sessions canceled because of snow. Steve finished the last session of the day at 11:00 am and the temp was 28-30 degrees. Enclosed trailers and space heaters ROCK!

'04 RC-51

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

wow that pic just gives me chills looking at it. here in fla we get freak cold days every now and then and yesterday was one if them. one of the locals said it got 19 degrees at night. we brought a small space heater for the tent and i wouldnt trade it for gold that night. after about 10:00 it was a good day. warmed to 50ish. lowsided in turn 8 left hander . bent clipon and broke shifter. buddy drilled shifter and put a screw in it so i can get one more session in. clipon bent but held (thanks varium for the great product). i couldnt shift very well due to clip on being bent so i stayed in one gear. but first track day went good and now im addicted like everyone else. people there were great. i cant thank the staff enough for making me feel comfortable and the other riders for helping out where they could . thanks for listening end of transmission
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 07:58 PM

ThermaCare Heat Wraps, they're not just for old guys...

This is too late for your track day, but I use Thermacare heat wraps from Target pharmacy.

One on the lower back and one back of the neck...they work for 8 hours and put out LOTS of heat...if it gets too hot, put it in a zip lock bag and squeeze the air out...that stops the reaction, but it'll rewarm when you open the bag to the air...

I've also used little disposable hand warmers inside my gloves on top of my hands and toe warmers from the sporting good store and they work well...hunters use them in the field to stay warm. I keep a set in my tankbag for use in the winter.

They're less hassle then an electric vest. I've worn them on the street as well, because on cold days I get a pain between the shoulder blades...yeah, you young guys can laugh, but hey, if you ride smart, you'll get to be old too someday!

The Road to Hell is paved...
and slightly banked!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

that sounds like a great idea. i just saw something like that on tv actually. im pretty sure there will be more track days cold or hot. just hope my wallet can support it. thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode