slicky seat - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

slicky seat

I have been steadily thinking about a way to get more grip on my bike. I managed to accidentally get some Honda Polish on the seat a month or so ago, and the seat is slick as shit now. I have tried cleaning it a couple times with no luck. I am beginning to think I got some on the ass of my leathers that needs to be clean.

I already have stomp grip, but its location reduces its usefullness. It seems if the seat was more "grippy" it would be a fantastic improvement. Does anyone know of a product that could be applied to the seat to improve traction? Does the Sergant/Corbin offer more traction? What about the foam pads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Ducatilicious

In a couple of rides, it will wear right off.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Munky

Use some lexol leather cleaner. It will make it alittle more tacky. You are supposed to use the conditioner right after but skip it for a more tacky surface.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:48 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Thumbs up Plus

Simple Green or Deep Purple the seat. You only would need a small amount, to remove the polish..:twocents
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Clone

Try using an old dirtbike seat. Pull the cover off and wrap it around the RC seat. They are real grippy.

Champions Honda Kawasaki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Arrow Replace

E bay.The same thing happened to my 77 xt 500 except my boss at the time was the one that shined the seat up "real nice" for me.

I got a different one,after trying everything to get that slippery crap off. :twocents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Its already been ~3 rides, even a good 4hr ride in the rain in North Carolina. I have used simple green with no love.

Its to the point I have learned to use other contact points on the high side of the bike. I guess that its been a good learning experience, but its getting old.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:19 AM

i have a stock seat i dont' really need if you wanna buy a new one

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:30 AM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Thumbs up Next Strongest Stuff, Deep Purple or Power Purple! WD40 To Cut Into The Polish 1st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phukaduc
Its already been ~3 rides, even a good 4hr ride in the rain in North Carolina. I have used simple green with no love.

Its to the point I have learned to use other contact points on the high side of the bike. I guess that its been a good learning experience, but its getting old.

OK, try the "Deep Purple" or "Power Purple" as this stuff is STRONGER than the 'Simple Green", just DON"T let the D/P or P/P get on any bare alu.! You most likely already know that though, just let it sit and work it into the seat alittle, see if that doesn't help. I'm sure this WILL do the trick.... You might want to try WD40 1st, this will cut into the polish, then D/P or P/P..... That's GOT to do it!

Peace Jeff
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:43 AM
Ducatilicious

Hmm.

I've oversprayed Honda Polish on my 996 seat many times and it wears right off. Perhaps the seat cover is made of different material?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys, I will try some of the other stuff first, if not...new seat time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Home Slice
Hmm.

I've oversprayed Honda Polish on my 996 seat many times and it wears right off. Perhaps the seat cover is made of different material?
I dont know what it is. I have been down this road before, and it always wore off. Maybe its the combo of new A* leathers and the seat...I dont know whats going on, but it gets old sliding all over the seat.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Talking P/P & D/P

Bump<>

Just wondering, what is going on, have you got this takin' care of?
What did you use to fix the problem?

Power Purple? Deep Purple?
These are 2 that I think WOULD take care of the problem...

Peace Jeff

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys, I will try some of the other stuff first, if not...new seat time.

I dont know what it is. I have been down this road before, and it always wore off. Maybe its the combo of new A* leathers and the seat...I dont know whats going on, but it gets old sliding all over the seat.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 PM

Also you should try some rubbing alchohol after you use the purple stuff! If I were you I would remove the seat while using the purple stuff just to be on the safe side! Good luck!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 07:25 AM

http://www.stompdesign.com/

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:01 PM

If its been 3 rides and a 4 hour with rain, you didnt 'just get cleaner overspray' on it. It must have been saturated on the seat....

Heres a tip.....dont use it on your tires.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Havent even been out to check on the bike since I posted this. Sorry, but when I do I will update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2k3
If its been 3 rides and a 4 hour with rain, you didnt 'just get cleaner overspray' on it. It must have been saturated on the seat....

Heres a tip.....dont use it on your tires.
Hey, thanks for being a dick!

I didnt spray honda polish on the seat...what I may have done was use the rag I was using on the bike to wipe off the overspray.

I am not sure it is the Honda Polish. Because honda polish over spray does usually wears off after a few minutes of a ride. I think it may be fancy new A* leathers casuing the problem. I am going to give them a good degreasing and see how it goes.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchiato
if you are really hanging off the RC, this stuff is all but worthless if installed in manufacture suggested location. It really should be in the crotch area (uncomfortable) and a horizontal strip along the tank near the Honda decal for the forarm. But it does give it that race-esque quality. If I had it to do over agian, I wouldnt buy stomp grip...or I would buy the universal and cut strips to place where I contact the bike during cornering.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Anger managment patient

Quote:

I can't resist. Perhaps the slippery lube on the seat coming from some place else. Deliverance?

Ok being real. I noticed a huge differance after installing the stomp grip. It really lets me get a solid point between tank and peg. The stuff is so grippy it has forced me to slide back a bit in the saddle. Which I needed because I kinda hump the tank.
That said a sooth seat is very important on a street bike. Otherwise you'll have monkey but in no time. So try slidding back a bit and using the thigh not the groin area as your anchor. The sections near the front are the areas for braking grip. If any thing the stomp will reduce the arm loading of the clip-ons.

Last edited by EvilTwin-05; 12-16-2006 at 03:11 PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin-05
Ok being real. I noticed a huge differance after installing the stomp grip. It really lets me get a solid point between tank and peg. The stuff is so grippy it has forced me to slide back a bit in the saddle. Which I needed because I kinda hump the tank.
Looking at your picture, it apears that your outside leg isn't in contact with the outside of your tank. In other words, you arent touching the stomp grip...or if you are, just barely.

when cornering, most of you leg is touching the middle (groin area) of the tank.
Quote:
If any thing the stomp will reduce the arm loading of the clip-ons.
I have noticed reduced fatigue in my arms since installing the stomp grip, but no help with grip on the bike during cornering.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Anger managment patient

Your correct only a small area is contacted when cornering but its enough the lock you in from the thigh to the toes. What you can't see clearly is that my mid thigh is gripping the tank. I am also just lifting up to start the drive down the straight.
If you don't like them take them off. All I am offering is advice that might help you get acustom to them.

Last edited by EvilTwin-05; 12-17-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode