Geraing question - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Geraing question

Hi all,

I've done a search and not been able to get an answer so here i am.

I've an 02 race RG51 with 15/42 gearing on, problem is I'm lucky to get out of 5th gear on most tracks. What gearing do you use on your race bikes?

I was thinking of dropping the front to a 14 with 45 rear but it may be too back wheel happy? Another problem i have is that it's already sliding our of corners as it is, so will the change result in more highsides, i'm thinking yes.

Will the change affect the engine braking coming into corners too?

I guess for the money i should just give it a go but just checking what you guys think?

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Jenias Member

14/25 seems like a drastic change from 15/42. Might want to toss a 12 o'clock bar on the thing. On the plus side I dont think your front tire will wear out in the near future

Id say try a less drastic change. I think you might find youself popping the limiter a lot on straights with your proposed change.

James
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to jazz Send a message via MSN to jazz
Hi,

I use mainly 14/42-45 at most tracks throughout the season. Although with the 45 rear you do have to be careful when leaned over as you do with a 42 tooth!?

As for sliding the thing.....hhmmm new tyres and less gas will sort that out!

BTW I am in the UK.....so I guess the tracks are totally different over in the US by the looks of them on Speed TV anyway......

Would like to do some racing at a couple of those.......hhmmm

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

life should be measured not by the amount of breathes you take but by the amount of times you breath is
taken away.........

You begin your riding career with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilderoy
What gearing do you use on your race bikes?

you might get a more helpful answer if you listed what tracks you race at. everyone who i know that races changes gearing for each track. a lot of guys do trackdays/race around the US so someone on here should be able to give you specific info for each track.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

I am actually based in the UK, up north near Newcastle. Croft is my local track but also go to east fortune and knockhill. The club i'll be racing with next year have got a few dates at mallory park so i'll be there too.

I don't think the gearing will be a problem at Donnington as it's quite a fast track but most of them are tight and twisty.

As for tyres I run Perelli Diablo Superbike slicks SC1 front and SC2 rear.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Who will you be racing with up there then? Scottish C'ship?

Circuits I did were

Donny 15/43
Silverstone (National) 15/43
Brands (Indy) 15/44
Pembrey 15/44
Thruxton 15/42
Darley Moor 15/43
Cadwell Park 15/44

Then there were the odd trackdays, Oulton was 15/43 I think, but could have been 44/45 rear.

Hope that helps you out.....and if you ever do any NG meets....dont' pass me!!!!

Have a good season.

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

life should be measured not by the amount of breathes you take but by the amount of times you breath is
taken away.........

You begin your riding career with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i'll be doing a few scottish rounds with Melville club and then the north east champ with http://www.nemcracingclub.co.uk/.

My bike is pretty stock at the moment so need a good suspension setup. Who do you use for yours? There's a guy up my way called roger at revolution racing who is ment to be good with sp's but never found out? I'll probably just send the forks to kais or k-tech to get some internals until i can affort ohlins r&t forks. I could do with a proper race shock racter than a fast road/ trackday one.

Cheers for the data, i'm hoping to go further south this year so will try them out.

Rich
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:12 PM

Gilroy,

I was fairly lucky with mine. I brought it in race trim, Ohlins rear, Harris High levels etc....

But the front forks were stock, so first race out I started to bottom them out...!

Straight to a guy close by me Revs Suspension (John Gaskill 0121 501 3321) he's really cool. I took my stockers there and he max'd them up with ohlins internals/valves etc (450) and made them sweet... no complaints from me.
Just had the rear ohlins stripped, checked and re-oiled (closed season) so that's all sorted. He is always on the phone for me, whenever I think I have an issue, he's there....

Revolution.... (Roger). Spoke with him a couple of weeks ago asking about 20HP more for the SP1....

He came back with some stuff, I think he is a Moriwaki dealer too (I saw his name on the other post about the RC51 site (mansam? or something)) he sounds good, nice genuine guy....

I am still umming and arrring wether to go for it or not....

Mine is stock engine... PC11 Mapped, 125BHP she kicked out! which was nice.... a mate of mine races a Factory Mille.....113BHP!!! heheheheh still kicks everybody's ass though..... Fugger...

To be honest, Xmas has killed me but the SP1 loved the attention! ;-)

all I have done to her is wavy's (although I said I wouldn't) Dymags, forks and CRG levers, carbon air snorkel....( i guess most of you guys have now (Brett in Australia) top man).

Do the suspension though, that is definately a must, even if you do the front's first....

Got to be worth 1 second a lap to you. Setup right, 2 seconds!

I have a Ohlins work sheet with part numbers etc on it if you want a copy. All the standard base settings etc as when they come out of the w/shop...!

take it easy...

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

taken away.........

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Hello bud,

Sadly mine was a wrecker so converting from road trim. As i say pritty stock, brett snorkel, hrc pads, 1/6 turn throttle, soft rev, full yoshi system, yoshi ems (crap, changing to a PClll asap!) that's about it really?

Yeah roger is a moriwaki dealer but they are a fortune! you are much better off getting parts from the states as they are so much cheaper. Roger was saying he can get 150bhp out of an sp which would be nice but i'd rather have my suspension done first. 450 seems a lot for internals, for 100 more you could have had full ohlins from the states.

This is what Roger quoted me,

OPTIONAL COSTS FOR SP-2 UPGRADE

SUSPENSION
REVOLUTION FULL FORK TUNE 315.0

PENSKE FULL RACE SHOCK ( 3 way) 725.00

Penske (2 way shock) Street ,T/day & early Club racing 525.00

MORIWAKI RACE LINKAGE (OPTIONAL) 325.00

ENGINE
MORIWAKI AIRBOX 815.00

MORIWAKI COOLING FINS 265.00

GASKETS, SEALS, FLUIDS ETC 170.00

LABOUR FOR INSTALLATION OF THE ABOVE PARTS

PORTING & GASFLOWING

TOP END BLUE PRINTING

MODIFICATION TO THE COOLING SYSTEM

FLAPPER VALVE MOD, IF NEEDED

CRANKCASE BREATHER MODIFICATIONS

DYNO MAPPING 750.00

EXHAUST SYSTEM
AKROPOVIC FULL RACE SYSTEM 1375.00

FUELING

DYNOJET P/COMMANDER 265.00

COST OF INSTALLATION AND MAPPING IS ALREADY LISTED

ABOVE WITH OTHER WORK.

IF THIS IS INSTALLED AS A SINGLE SEPARATE ITEM ONLY THE

TOTAL COST IS 335.00

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:08 PM

PM'd you. save everyones ears.....

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

taken away.........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode